Credit Cards

Can you apply for a credit card and be approved if you are on disability from your job?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 4:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 30, 2011
591 posts
200 upvotes
Winnipeg

Can you apply for a credit card and be approved if you are on disability from your job?

Hello,
I'd like to change my credit card from an air miles reward card to PC. I'm receiving disability benefits from my employer. Can I still apply? If so, I was looking at my options for employment. There's the typical ones plus an other category. What should I pick?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1464 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
“Other” and write Disabled if they ask. Your annual income is that of your disability benefits summed over the year + any investment income.

Or write retired that works too.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14500 posts
12436 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Also since the PC MasterCard (lowest tier) doesn't have an advertised income requirement, assume it's $15k+. Those on disability most likely earn enough to qualify for that card I'd imagine. I know I was denied PC MC when I was a student :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
May 30, 2011
591 posts
200 upvotes
Winnipeg
Altera wrote: “Other” and write Disabled if they ask. Your annual income is that of your disability benefits summed over the year + any investment income.

Or write retired that works too.
titaniumtux wrote: Also since the PC MasterCard (lowest tier) doesn't have an advertised income requirement, assume it's $15k+. Those on disability most likely earn enough to qualify for that card I'd imagine. I know I was denied PC MC when I was a student :lol:
Cool thank you. I'll try that. My yearly income is much higher then that.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20122 posts
7542 upvotes
Toronto
Same procedure for maternity leave?

*Thread Hijack*
RedFlagDeals Addict
[OP]
May 30, 2011
591 posts
200 upvotes
Winnipeg
DaVibe wrote: Same procedure for maternity leave?

*Thread Hijack*
I'd say select the other option as well and see what options are listed there. It doesn't make sense that someone like me or someonr in mat leave can't apply for a credit card.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14500 posts
12436 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Jlmcneil wrote: I'd say select the other option as well and see what options are listed there. It doesn't make sense that someone like me or someonr in mat leave can't apply for a credit card.
Mat leave is EI pay, so could be treated as unemployment. Disability pay is generally long term, therefore treated as income.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Sep 5, 2017
472 posts
243 upvotes
Ive been wondering this as well - id like to replace my closing amazon chase visa with something else with no forex fees. very small limit is all i need. enough to buy meds and supplements online without having to pay that extra if I can avoid it. Quite often even wtih regular exchange there are better deals in US dollars. Im very careful with what i spend and will only spend on it what i know i can pay off fully when the statement comes. im probably one of few on disability but with a good credit rating. I may not have much but im not in debt either.
[OP]
May 30, 2011
591 posts
200 upvotes
Winnipeg
pawprints86 wrote: Ive been wondering this as well - id like to replace my closing amazon chase visa with something else with no forex fees. very small limit is all i need. enough to buy meds and supplements online without having to pay that extra if I can avoid it. Quite often even wtih regular exchange there are better deals in US dollars. Im very careful with what i spend and will only spend on it what i know i can pay off fully when the statement comes. im probably one of few on disability but with a good credit rating. I may not have much but im not in debt either.
It's a weird place to be in. The only debt I have is my car payment. Everything is paid off. I needed a short term loan back in August and was automatically approved through TD. So they obviously didn't care I was on disability.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14500 posts
12436 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Jlmcneil wrote: It's a weird place to be in. The only debt I have is my car payment. Everything is paid off. I needed a short term loan back in August and was automatically approved through TD. So they obviously didn't care I was on disability.
Disability is good as employment. Perhaps not high income, but banks know you get a consistent cash flow.