Automotive

Can you drive a car with license and sticker from previous vehicle?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2019 4:30 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2004
35 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Can you drive a car with license and sticker from previous vehicle?

The story is that my car got rear ended and was totaled. I am about to get used car to replace it this Saturday but Service Ontario seems to be closed? (Went to one yesterday that says they are open on google but has a sign saying its closed throughout the long weekend).

Can I temporary drive the car with my previous plate with valid stickers to get the car registered under the same plates? (or at least drive it home and park it til i get it registered) I will get insurance started with it of course.

Or is this totally illegal?

Anyone know about this? or if Service Ontario is open at all on Saturday for Canada Day long weekend?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8526 posts
4759 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Plates need to be registered to the vehicle, you can't just swap them.

Leave it at home until registered. But I think dealer plates have special privileges.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11194 posts
10521 upvotes
Oakville
Caladborg wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 11:42 am
The story is that my car got rear ended and was totaled. I am about to get used car to replace it this Saturday but Service Ontario seems to be closed? (Went to one yesterday that says they are open on google but has a sign saying its closed throughout the long weekend).

Can I temporary drive the car with my previous plate with valid stickers to get the car registered under the same plates? (or at least drive it home and park it til i get it registered) I will get insurance started with it of course.

Anyone know about this? or if Service Ontario is open at all on Saturday for Canada Day long weekend?

Thanks
Can you go to service ontario before they close and get temp plates at least?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1953 posts
463 upvotes
Woodbridge
You can drive the car without plates if you wish, but beware the popo might tow your car and slap you with a $5k ticket for it.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11194 posts
10521 upvotes
Oakville
durrsak wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 12:17 pm
You can drive the car without plates if you wish, but beware the popo might tow your car and slap you with a $5k ticket for it.
Would be better to drive with the wrong plates. Only way he'd be caught is if a cop ran his plates and saw a different vehicle.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2350 posts
2414 upvotes
GTA
Can you? Yes.
Is it legal? No.
Sep 25, 2018
266 posts
445 upvotes
Just pick up the car from dealer on Tuesday and get it plated then.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3289 posts
1224 upvotes
Toronto
Caladborg wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks
I've done it. I figured with the plate portion of your old ownership, the vehicle portion of the new vehicle (if it was previously registered as fit) and all the associated paperwork you might find an understanding cop if pulled over, especially on a weekend. I don't know if it is really "legal". You do have 6 days to transfer the vehicle.

If you really want to be sure, call the MTO. They may also be able to tell if there is a Service Ontario site open somewhere in Toronto. The #'s below are from their website.
Contact us

If you need more information please call us Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at:

1-800-387-3445 if you’re outside of Toronto but within North America
416-235-2999 if you’re within the GTA or outside of North America
TTY: 416-325-3408
[OP]
Nov 26, 2004
35 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
ROYinTO wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 3:06 pm
If you really want to be sure, call the MTO. They may also be able to tell if there is a Service Ontario site open somewhere in Toronto. The #'s below are from their website.
Thanks, this helped as they were able to check the system to see which locations were open. I was calling the locations itself all morning and no one from Service Ontario picked up

Thank you all!
May 2, 2017
451 posts
572 upvotes
Just to clarify, you can re-use your plates and sticker on the new vehicle. You don't need temp plates or new plates in this situation, however you need to go and get the new vehicle transferred into your name and the plates transferred to the vehicle before you can legally drive it with those plates.

You can also arrange insurance before it's plated/registered to your name. All they need is the VIN number.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1068 posts
421 upvotes
Durham
The only Service Ontario locations closed on Saturdays are Provincial ran. Private offices are open. But go before they open.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1657 posts
950 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
OP keep the Bill of Sale on the vehicle and a copy of the registration for the old vehicle, transfer the plates to the new vehicle, advise your insurance company and enjoy your weekend until Tuesday.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK35

Temporary use of plates
(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).
Idem
(4) Despite section 7 and clauses 12 (1) (d) and (e), a person may drive a motor vehicle or draw a trailer on a highway within six days after becoming the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer where the person complies with the prescribed requirements.

NOTE - S. 7(7) just refers to a properly registered vehicle.
Issuance of permits and number plates
(7) The Ministry may issue a permit of any prescribed class, number plates and evidence of validation to any person who meets the requirements of this Act and the regulations.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13920 posts
3352 upvotes
London
ROYinTO wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 3:06 pm
I've done it. I figured with the plate portion of your old ownership, the vehicle portion of the new vehicle (if it was previously registered as fit) and all the associated paperwork you might find an understanding cop if pulled over, especially on a weekend. I don't know if it is really "legal". You do have 6 days to transfer the vehicle.

It’s legal for a newly acquired car as long as the plate is valid (current sticker) and “unattached” (you no longer own the original car the plate was assigned or “attached to”. You must also have a valid safety certificate and ins/ pink card