• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2021 9:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 31, 2021
4 posts
3 upvotes

Can you fly Killex into Ontario?

I have a friend flying back from the states. Can they bring back a bottle of Killex weed killer in their luggage? I know if he were driving across the border it would have to be declared and under 500 mL, but I'm unsure of the laws when flying. Help is appreciated, thanks.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1998 upvotes
impulsectrl wrote: I have a friend flying back from the states. Can they bring back a bottle of Killex weed killer in their luggage? I know if he were driving across the border it would have to be declared and under 500 mL, but I'm unsure of the laws when flying. Help is appreciated, thanks.

You mean this good stuff?

IMG_20210504_113416.jpg

I only use the good stuff for my front lawn ... Luckily my lawn has been great for a number of years so this has been sitting ... Emergency use only.

Backyard has a vegetable garden so it is manual labour to remove the weeds.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
May 28, 2007
421 posts
165 upvotes
Peterborough
You can just order it online and have it delivered in a week. If you really want it.
Dec 6, 2020
545 posts
538 upvotes
impulsectrl wrote: I have a friend flying back from the states. Can they bring back a bottle of Killex weed killer in their luggage? I know if he were driving across the border it would have to be declared and under 500 mL, but I'm unsure of the laws when flying. Help is appreciated, thanks.
It's highly unlikely that weed killer is permitted in airline luggage under either FAA/Transport Canada hazmat or TSA/CATSA security rules.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1128 posts
417 upvotes
Mississauga
Curioprop wrote: You can just order it online and have it delivered in a week. If you really want it.
Unfortunately, there is a considerable cost difference between purchasing local in the States as apposed to shipping it back through Amazon.com, Seedranch.com etc.
May 28, 2007
421 posts
165 upvotes
Peterborough
True. But the convenience is sometimes worth it. We did a group buy so wasn't to bad.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21986 posts
2806 upvotes
If you pull the MSDS for Killex with 2,4-D it appears to be unregulated for transport.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17899 posts
10640 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BTW> The Killex brand may not be available in the US as the brand isn't really marketed down there but is renamed to something else that Americans have an easier time understanding - ie Weed-b-gon or something like that.

If your friend is staying in one place for a week or so, you can get places like Seed Ranch to send the stuff to the hotel rather than having them shop for it and taking up their time. Also, there is a better selection of products for mail orders instead of places like Home Depot.
Oct 6, 2020
407 posts
674 upvotes
Curioprop wrote: You can just order it online and have it delivered in a week. If you really want it.
where??
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10615 posts
5922 upvotes
Paris
I havent done this in years, but I used to buy Weed B Gon and the bug spray (ants) and put it in a ziploc and into my checked luggage when I did my frequent trips to the US. Well after it wasn’t allowed in Canada. Larger liquids, sealed and clearly marked were allowed in checked luggage, and border patrol is federal, not provincial.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1470 posts
512 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought Killex from the State many times and I declared them at land crossing every time. As mentioned above border control is federal, they dont care about provincial regulations.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1128 posts
417 upvotes
Mississauga
csi123 wrote: I bought Killex from the State many times and I declared them at land crossing every time. As mentioned above border control is federal, they dont care about provincial regulations.
I learned something new, I didn't realized they didn't care, which is why I find it curious why I've been asked on more than one occasion if I was bring back any weed killer/pesticides back into Canada.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16733 posts
5294 upvotes
London
From the previous thread............

bringing-herbicide-weed-killer-over-bor ... #p29252981
Eldorado wrote: ... banned pesticides to Canada and changes to exemptions at the border - http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pestici ... -1.3989505
l69norm wrote: If you guys read the link posted by Eldorado, the new rules seem to be:
1) you must be present with the stuff (no more web/mail order import)
2) the stuff must be less than 500mg or 500ml per person
3) cannot be single large package combined between multiple people
4) must be intended for home use (no more professional/ farm grade)
5) must be similar to home products already legal in Canada
6) must be in its original packaging
7) Label must be in either English or French

The us versions of weed b gone and specticide containing 2-4-d from US Walmart, Lowe’s, etc are almost legal (1 quart bottles are still too big)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1972 posts
1469 upvotes
GTA West
I have brought back (2,4-D) from Niagara Falls in my car several times - I think is the Ortho brand. I have never been asked about it by a border officer.
Oct 6, 2020
407 posts
674 upvotes
Just picked up 1L concentrate of the good good from Ebay :) $54 CAD with shipping
May 28, 2007
421 posts
165 upvotes
Peterborough
Seed ranch. 20 roundup packages. Enough to make 20 gallons.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1792 posts
873 upvotes
Brought it home in checked luggage a few times. No issues. Just make sure to double bag it. You don't want that stuff leaking.