Can you get UPS import fees refunded?

[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
558 posts
514 upvotes
CALGARY

Can you get UPS import fees refunded?

Kinda a FML moment here -

I ordered something from the States, and was planning to self clear the shipment when it arrived to avoid the $70 UPS brokerage fee.

Sadly, the seller decided to take the initiative to pay the import fees on my behalf as he thought it was holding up the delivery.

Now, he is requesting I reimburse him said $70 brokerage when it wouldn't have to be paid otherwise.

Will UPS refund him the fees? Sadly they're closed until Tuesday because of the long weekend.

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1936 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
If they brokered the package clearance, why would it be refunded?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9290 posts
10837 upvotes
Vancouver
findmesumdealz wrote: Kinda a FML moment here -

I ordered something from the States, and was planning to self clear the shipment when it arrived to avoid the $70 UPS brokerage fee.

Sadly, the seller decided to take the initiative to pay the import fees on my behalf as he thought it was holding up the delivery.

Now, he is requesting I reimburse him said $70 brokerage when it wouldn't have to be paid otherwise.

Will UPS refund him the fees? Sadly they're closed until Tuesday because of the long weekend.

Thanks
Is all of the $70 brokerage? None of that is taxes or duties?
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
558 posts
514 upvotes
CALGARY
koleso wrote: If they brokered the package clearance, why would it be refunded?
It's optional. You can pay the $70 brokerage fee plus the $20 duties, or you can wait until the package arrives in the destination city, and go directly to the CBSA to pay the $20 duties. If you do that, you don't have to pay the $70 brokerage fee.

BUT the sender paid these fees without asking me and now wants me to reimburse him. If he hadnt done that, I would only have to pay the $20 to the government. Not $90 to UPS.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
558 posts
514 upvotes
CALGARY
And if UPS refunds him said monies then I can still self clear it on arrival
Apr 9, 2004
349 posts
81 upvotes
London
Wow that seems high. I had UPS clear a $200-300 package for me this week. Cost me $9 in a brokerage fee.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
558 posts
514 upvotes
CALGARY
oddduck wrote: Wow that seems high. I had UPS clear a $200-300 package for me this week. Cost me $9 in a brokerage fee.
They only charge brokerage fees on UPS ground. If your shipment was anything else then its brokerage free.
Funny thing is, if I pay their brokerage fee it brings the total cost of shipping up to the same price point as 1 day service. Which is why you should self clear any shipment with brokerage fees.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3444 posts
29212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't think it's easy to get a refund once you've paid. Unless something or something, there's probably a clause.

On that note, I think you should be honest with the shipper and explain that you weren't prepared to pay it. Obviously, he thinks he did you a favour, but he did that without consulting you, bearing more charges that you now apparently have to deal with. Sounds like someone did the thinking for you.

On that note, good luck with a result. Though after you've paid, I doubt you could get a refund for your predicament.
Sep 1, 2013
872 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
UPS is the pits.

Personally I avoid couriers for items that cross international borders as the brokerage fees are just outrageous... but if you absolutely have to, the best experiences I've had were with DHL. They seem to have a flat brokerage fee, and while it's a bit higher than Canada Post's, it's nowhere near as extortionate as UPS.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5237 posts
2426 upvotes
Vancouver
You've already paid for the item and you've received it? I'd say the seller is the one on the hook for the fees, not you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5197 posts
1988 upvotes
Toronto
findmesumdealz wrote: BUT the sender paid these fees without asking me and now wants me to reimburse him. If he hadnt done that, I would only have to pay the $20 to the government. Not $90 to UPS.
So tell him that, and in a nice way, tell him it's his problem.

There's no reason UPS would reimburse him - and if he wants to try, that's for him to try.