Cell Phones

Can you live with just your Cell Phone Data plan?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18224 posts
2101 upvotes
Woodbridge

Can you live with just your Cell Phone Data plan?

There's a thread about why do people stick with Bell/Rogers' internet...

So I'll twist the question to this. If push comes to shove and you are forced to live with your cell phone data plan, can you?

I only stream so much at home because I can but having a business & personal plan, I think I can with 29GB combined a month.

I only stream YouTube on my phones, otherwise my Movies, Music and TV Shows are downloaded and stored in a 256GB microsd card.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
19 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16315 posts
2806 upvotes
Toronto
Not me. I stream a lot of 4k content from Netflix, iTunes, and prime.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21114 posts
2474 upvotes
Toronto
Depends...

I have 2 cellphone plans: 1. Telus 20Gb & 2. AT&T 25Gb

It is enough for now during COVID given the lack of new movies to download but post-Covid and once new releases come back.....45Gb / month isn't enough for my downloads...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
17624 posts
7503 upvotes
Oakville
Like, not connecting my phone to my home wifi? Or not having home internet at all? The former, probably, the latter, no way.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18224 posts
2101 upvotes
Woodbridge
No Wi-Fi.

Before this pandemic I really only stream a lot during NFL season with DAZN.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
511 posts
262 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I can but I'm probably an exception as I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Fido. With the last 3 months and me working remotely at home and streaming during my spare time as most businesses were closed so that there wasn't much to do outside, I have more usage these past 3 individual billing cycles than most people use with unlimited cable/DSL connections.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 19, 2004
1908 posts
178 upvotes
Markham, ON
It's a hard no for me.

My wife and kids watch Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, Disney+ fairly regularly.

I use Youtube fairly regularly myself.

I work from home, many many video conferences (even pre-Covid).

I use close 700GB of data per month.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
17624 posts
7503 upvotes
Oakville
If it's just no wifi on the phone (but the rest of the house can still use internet as normal)... I could survive on just mobile data... It would just mean streaming less shows in bed before I go to sleep at night, and less shows while I'm doing things like prepping dinner. A lot more podcast listening instead. Lol.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Newbie
Feb 8, 2020
87 posts
58 upvotes
Before this pandemic I didn't use much data. so I was content enough with the Koodo $40 6GB plan but then I jumped wagon on the Fido $50 15 GB plan and really appreciating the extra 9 GB. It has come really handy. Also, I'm single so I think I can live with my current plan for now :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32355 posts
6236 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don’t stream at all. I have a Rogers 10 Gig plan and a Fido 4 Gig tablet plan

I rarely break 740 Megs on the cell phone, I just use it for email and my Fido plan barely breaks 300 Meg on my iPad

But I hate WiFi. I have Bell Fibe and I do everything wired on computers (no laptops). I just prefer hardwired reliability and speed.

Now that I am working from home, the cell phone data usage dropped 90%, but the Fido data usage has dropped almost 100%. I still use my iPad, but I am always on WiFi
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
17624 posts
7503 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: I don’t stream at all. I have a Rogers 10 Gig plan and a Fido 4 Gig tablet plan

I rarely break 740 Megs on the cell phone, I just use it for email and my Fido plan barely breaks 300 Meg on my iPad

But I hate WiFi. I have Bell Fibe and I do everything wired on computers (no laptops). I just prefer hardwired reliability and speed.

Now that I am working from home, the cell phone data usage dropped 90%, but the Fido data usage has dropped almost 100%. I still use my iPad, but I am always on WiFi
Sounds like you're overpaying for your cell and tablet plans, then. Why have all that data that you're never using?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32355 posts
6236 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wearysky wrote: Sounds like you're overpaying for your cell and tablet plans, then. Why have all that data that you're never using?
I was using some before Covid

I need email on my phone and the cheapest plan offers 10 Gigs of data.

I have a tablet plan because I don't carry a notebook and when visiting clients, I don't want to ask for their WiFi password.
Newbie
Nov 5, 2011
92 posts
47 upvotes
Gee wrote: I was using some before Covid

I need email on my phone and the cheapest plan offers 10 Gigs of data.

I have a tablet plan because I don't carry a notebook and when visiting clients, I don't want to ask for their WiFi password.
You should really switch provider for you cell phone if you only use 700 MB per month. You pay what now, 75$? You could probably get 1-2 GB for around 35$ with a carrier like Virgin or Fido. And you could use this same cell phone plan as a hotspot for your tablet when visiting clients.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32355 posts
6236 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reptile wrote: You should really switch provider for you cell phone if you only use 700 MB per month. You pay what now, 75$? You could probably get 1-2 GB for around 35$ with a carrier like Virgin or Fido. And you could use this same cell phone plan as a hotspot for your tablet when visiting clients.
I did the hotspot thing way back and it didn’t work for me

The problem was the battery. If I tether my tablet to my cell phone, the cell battery is dead in a few hours

I pay 72$ tax in for my cell plan and it is covered by my employer. It includes unlimited US ROAMing and calling. The only thing I am paying for is the Fido tablet plan which is 10$
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
17624 posts
7503 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: I did the hotspot thing way back and it didn’t work for me

The problem was the battery. If I tether my tablet to my cell phone, the cell battery is dead in a few hours

I pay 72$ tax in for my cell plan and it is covered by my employer. It includes unlimited US ROAMing and calling. The only thing I am paying for is the Fido tablet plan which is 10$
Ahh, well if your employer is paying for it, who cares? Let them pay too much :P
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient

Top