Cell Phones

Can you live with just your Cell Phone Data plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19140 posts
2860 upvotes
Woodbridge

Can you live with just your Cell Phone Data plan?

There's a thread about why do people stick with Bell/Rogers' internet...

So I'll twist the question to this. If push comes to shove and you are forced to live with your cell phone data plan, can you?

I only stream so much at home because I can but having a business & personal plan, I think I can with 29GB combined a month.

I only stream YouTube on my phones, otherwise my Movies, Music and TV Shows are downloaded and stored in a 256GB microsd card.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18446 posts
5391 upvotes
Toronto
Not me. I stream a lot of 4k content from Netflix, iTunes, and prime.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22905 posts
4385 upvotes
Toronto
Depends...

I have 2 cellphone plans: 1. Telus 20Gb & 2. AT&T 25Gb

It is enough for now during COVID given the lack of new movies to download but post-Covid and once new releases come back.....45Gb / month isn't enough for my downloads...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20516 posts
9965 upvotes
Oakville
Like, not connecting my phone to my home wifi? Or not having home internet at all? The former, probably, the latter, no way.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19140 posts
2860 upvotes
Woodbridge
No Wi-Fi.

Before this pandemic I really only stream a lot during NFL season with DAZN.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2282 posts
1701 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I can but I'm probably an exception as I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Fido. With the last 3 months and me working remotely at home and streaming during my spare time as most businesses were closed so that there wasn't much to do outside, I have more usage these past 3 individual billing cycles than most people use with unlimited cable/DSL connections.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1968 posts
213 upvotes
Markham, ON
It's a hard no for me.

My wife and kids watch Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, Disney+ fairly regularly.

I use Youtube fairly regularly myself.

I work from home, many many video conferences (even pre-Covid).

I use close 700GB of data per month.
HI
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20516 posts
9965 upvotes
Oakville
If it's just no wifi on the phone (but the rest of the house can still use internet as normal)... I could survive on just mobile data... It would just mean streaming less shows in bed before I go to sleep at night, and less shows while I'm doing things like prepping dinner. A lot more podcast listening instead. Lol.
Feb 8, 2020
118 posts
75 upvotes
Before this pandemic I didn't use much data. so I was content enough with the Koodo $40 6GB plan but then I jumped wagon on the Fido $50 15 GB plan and really appreciating the extra 9 GB. It has come really handy. Also, I'm single so I think I can live with my current plan for now :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35175 posts
8622 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don’t stream at all. I have a Rogers 10 Gig plan and a Fido 4 Gig tablet plan

I rarely break 740 Megs on the cell phone, I just use it for email and my Fido plan barely breaks 300 Meg on my iPad

But I hate WiFi. I have Bell Fibe and I do everything wired on computers (no laptops). I just prefer hardwired reliability and speed.

Now that I am working from home, the cell phone data usage dropped 90%, but the Fido data usage has dropped almost 100%. I still use my iPad, but I am always on WiFi
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20516 posts
9965 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: I don’t stream at all. I have a Rogers 10 Gig plan and a Fido 4 Gig tablet plan

I rarely break 740 Megs on the cell phone, I just use it for email and my Fido plan barely breaks 300 Meg on my iPad

But I hate WiFi. I have Bell Fibe and I do everything wired on computers (no laptops). I just prefer hardwired reliability and speed.

Now that I am working from home, the cell phone data usage dropped 90%, but the Fido data usage has dropped almost 100%. I still use my iPad, but I am always on WiFi
Sounds like you're overpaying for your cell and tablet plans, then. Why have all that data that you're never using?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35175 posts
8622 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wearysky wrote: Sounds like you're overpaying for your cell and tablet plans, then. Why have all that data that you're never using?
I was using some before Covid

I need email on my phone and the cheapest plan offers 10 Gigs of data.

I have a tablet plan because I don't carry a notebook and when visiting clients, I don't want to ask for their WiFi password.
Nov 5, 2011
187 posts
126 upvotes
Gee wrote: I was using some before Covid

I need email on my phone and the cheapest plan offers 10 Gigs of data.

I have a tablet plan because I don't carry a notebook and when visiting clients, I don't want to ask for their WiFi password.
You should really switch provider for you cell phone if you only use 700 MB per month. You pay what now, 75$? You could probably get 1-2 GB for around 35$ with a carrier like Virgin or Fido. And you could use this same cell phone plan as a hotspot for your tablet when visiting clients.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35175 posts
8622 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reptile wrote: You should really switch provider for you cell phone if you only use 700 MB per month. You pay what now, 75$? You could probably get 1-2 GB for around 35$ with a carrier like Virgin or Fido. And you could use this same cell phone plan as a hotspot for your tablet when visiting clients.
I did the hotspot thing way back and it didn’t work for me

The problem was the battery. If I tether my tablet to my cell phone, the cell battery is dead in a few hours

I pay 72$ tax in for my cell plan and it is covered by my employer. It includes unlimited US ROAMing and calling. The only thing I am paying for is the Fido tablet plan which is 10$
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20516 posts
9965 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: I did the hotspot thing way back and it didn’t work for me

The problem was the battery. If I tether my tablet to my cell phone, the cell battery is dead in a few hours

I pay 72$ tax in for my cell plan and it is covered by my employer. It includes unlimited US ROAMing and calling. The only thing I am paying for is the Fido tablet plan which is 10$
Ahh, well if your employer is paying for it, who cares? Let them pay too much :P
Apr 7, 2007
752 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: I can but I'm probably an exception as I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Fido. With the last 3 months and me working remotely at home and streaming during my spare time as most businesses were closed so that there wasn't much to do outside, I have more usage these past 3 individual billing cycles than most people use with unlimited cable/DSL connections.
I too have unlimited data with Bell. My usage is lower this last little bit but I have used more than 1TB in a billing cycle before. I am achieving 250-300mbps on their network from home so I theoretically could live off my cellular plan.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2282 posts
1701 upvotes
Montreal, QC
H8TR wrote: I too have unlimited data with Bell. My usage is lower this last little bit but I have used more than 1TB in a billing cycle before. I am achieving 250-300mbps on their network from home so I theoretically could live off my cellular plan.
For me, my Fido data does replace my internet since the price of most unlimited cable/DSL internet is roughly $50/month and as a person who lives alone, I didn't see the point of paying for a land-based internet plan for ~$50/month when not during the COVID-19 times, from Monday to Friday, I was away from home from around 7:45am to around 6:30pm where my internet would be unused for the most part and it would also be unused every day from around 11:00pm to 7:00am. This meant on a work day, I would only be using my home internet for ~5 hours and on the weekend I would possibly be using my internet for ~10 hours.

I found that it didn't make financial sense to pay for 2 unlimited data (one with my cellular provider and the other which is physically tied to my physical address) and since when I wasn't home, my land based internet would be unused, it made logical sense to cancel it. It is the same decision that someone would cancel their landline phone if he/she has a cellphone and no one would use his/her landline phone when the person wasn't at home. The way it is now, my internet follows me when I leave my place.

During the work from home and with nothing to do as most businesses are closed, I've done more usage on my Fido unlimited data plan than most people would do with their DSL/cable internet.
Images
  • Capture3.png
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22905 posts
4385 upvotes
Toronto
Dang, those unlimited plans are sweet.

Curious, were these plans thru work?

I recall Magna offering the unlimited plans? My memory is hazy...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jun 2, 2010
681 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: I recall Magna offering the unlimited plans? My memory is hazy...
Scotiabank had that sweet $70 plan with unlimited data in Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited Plus: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2282 posts
1701 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ji2o0k wrote: Curious, were these plans thru work?
No. Mine is a regular consumer plan which is no longer offered (and I'm on a grandfathered plan/option for it). I subscribed to it over 20 years ago when the carrier's data (Fido) technology back then was 2G (GPRS) which for those of you old enough to remember this, is comparable to the speed of the old analogue dial-up modems that we used to connect our phone lines in order for our computers via the COM ports to have access to the internet. Back then I used my SIM card in one of the earlier smartphones (Palm Treo 600) in order to automatically download my emails. I didn't use a lot of data back in those days so most of my friends informed me that I was overpaying for my unlimited data. However, as technology progressed, Fido's network was upgraded from 2G/GPRS to EDGE to 3G to 3.5G or what carriers call 4G (non-LTE).

When the technology was 3G, I used the SIM card in USB "Rocket Stick" devices so that I could connect my computer/laptop to the internet using cellular technology. Once speeds reached 3.5G or 4G (non-LTE), I used my SIM in mobile hotspot routers so I can share my internet connection with multiple devices at the same time without needing to remove/swap my SIM card between mobile devices and cancelled my unlimited landline based internet at roughly the same time.

The benefit of this is that when I go to my friend's cottage/chalet, I have internet with me. Same with when I'm driving on a long trip; my passengers have access to the internet while I'm driving us to the location. With a landline based internet, it is tied to my home address so it was a no brainer for me to keep Fido's unlimited data and get rid of my landline based internet which was linked to my home address.