Health & Wellness

Can you recommend an electric shaver for an elderly relative?

[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20688 posts
7762 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Can you recommend an electric shaver for an elderly relative?

The ones i have used are not that great so i stick to a regular 3-5 blade razor. However for this relative they have motor control difficulty and need help shaving and the PSWs will only use an electric razor.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Preferably $100 or less but if higher cost is markedly better then please suggest them as well.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20688 posts
7762 upvotes
Socially Distanced
bump
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20688 posts
7762 upvotes
Socially Distanced
von Monster wrote: The $100 limit makes it difficult; the Braun 7/9 series are fantastic but definitely out of your price range; the Wirecutter recommends the Remington F5-5800 as the best budget shaver. Amazon currently lists it at $39.02.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ric-razor/
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BB5YHEI?asc ... ewire0f-20
The Braun is about $200 in Canada. Its doable if its very good and is not going to sit in a drawer forever because its not good enough.
I wonder if they have a money back guarantee like Ryobi power tools, 90 days no questions asked Smiling Face With Sunglasses

I will look into the Remington further.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3470 posts
1114 upvotes
Thornhill
There are basically two types of electric shavers - the foil shaver (Braun, Remington) or rotary shaver (Philips).
Each has its pros and cons (and believe it or not, its fan base), and it's mainly personal preference.

I personally prefer rotary shaver - quieter and more comfortable (just don't like the holding a vibrator feel for foil shaver).
Philips S5588/25 $88.16 is their newer model and has a charging stand.
Can be used wet or dry.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2093 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto
I have an Amazon one for $35. Sweetlf brand or something like that. Rotary style.
It’s very lightweight so might be easier to manoeuvre and charges within an hour. Battery lasts for 3-4 weeks, shaving every other day.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20688 posts
7762 upvotes
Socially Distanced
mohitk wrote: Philips oneblade?
Not good enough, misses too many hairs and needs many passes.
I have one myself and its good for bulk shaving when you have lots of facial hair but i need to use a regular razor afterwards.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1914 posts
1423 upvotes
GTA West
Quentin5 wrote: The ones i have used are not that great so i stick to a regular 3-5 blade razor. However for this relative they have motor control difficulty and need help shaving and the PSWs will only use an electric razor.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Preferably $100 or less but if higher cost is markedly better then please suggest them as well.
I just got a Braun 3040 foil shaver at CanTire for $79 and it is a nice little machine. They also have a low end Philips for less than that I used for a few years. As another poster said, the Philips rotaries are quieter but a bit slower.

There is no need to spend over $100 on a shaver. I have a $20 Philips travel shaver and it shaves just about as well as the $100 model, if you ignore that it is much slower, runs on AA batteries, doesn't have a trimmer, has 2 cutters instead of 3, etc. But the basic cutting action and closeness of the shave is the same. When I come back from a trip I use it until the batteries need to be replaced, so that I start fresh ones for my next trip. I used to have a Braun battery shaver and it was even better than the Philips. But Philips and Braun are not going to get rich selling shavers for $20-30. So they create all kinds of new models to move you up the price scale.