• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 4:10 pm
Aug 24, 2014
280 posts
40 upvotes
North York

Can you recommend an eye drop?

My eyes are really dry these days.

But I haven't bought any eye drop products since I came to Canada.

What do Canadians usually buy to lubricate their eyes?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2507 posts
1867 upvotes
Toronto
I use Systane. Try to avoid using anything that "gets the red out" (ie Visine) on a regular basis.

If your eyes are really dry most days, you should book an appointment with a doctor.
20 Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Another vote for Systane.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
For dry eyes, the best are the ones containing Sodium Hyaluronate. These were a game changer for me after trying every type of drop on the market for a severe condition.

I used to get them from Europe but they are now available here. The brand names are:

Hylo (ask at the Pharmacy counter in Shoppers, or Costco)
Thealoz Duo or Hyabak (some Optometrists) - I think " Thealoz Duo" is the very best.
Hydrasense on the shelf at Shoppers (cheapest)

You can also get some of these on Amazon.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
Omega-3 supplements at 1000-2000/mg daily, taken orally, can help a lot. Fish oil capsules.

Overnight ophthalmic ointments are really helpful too. Lacri Lube, Systane Nighttime.

More than 3-4 uses a day, and you should be using preservative-free drops in unit doses. And yes, make an appointment with your optometrist if you can't resolve your issues with conservative measures.

Most of the manufacturers have online coupons, or coupons available through eye care professionals.

If you wear contact lenses, you should discuss any use of intra-ocular treatments such as drops, lubes, etc., with your prescribing optometrist.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
For some people, the presence of a parasite called demodex is a major factor and some cases are cleared up when the parasite is controlled. Everyone has some of these on their skin, this is the family of parasite that causes mange. There are some that live in the hair follicles of the eyelid and come out at night and eat dead eyelid cells. They block the secretion of fluids onto the eyeball (the condition known as blepharitis). That is why eyelid hygiene is very important. There are special wipes and soaps available (like Cliradex) that contain tea tree oil - optometrists or ophthalmologist who treat dry eyes have this. I get it in the form of a foam (Cliradex) that you rub on the eyelids. That is supposed to be one of the few substances that kills these pesky microscopic critters.

The other treatment for blepharitis is heat. You can buy special eyepads that you heat in the microwave and this is supposed to melt the gunk stuck in your eyelids so that the tear ducts run free. OR, you can spend $1500 on a treatment with a Lipiflow machine that heats your eyelids while massaging them with little rollers. This is available at the Hertzig Institute in Toronto or other clinics. People have mixed results.

If your case is serious, you can look for a dry eye clinic. But the posts in this thread pretty much cover all the treatments for dry eye. Omegas, lubricating drops, eyelid hygiene, eyelid heat treatments, and eyelid parasite treatments.

BTW don't forget that some prescription drugs also cause dry eyes.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
Suggest you to see an ophthalmology to find out the causes. Can be allergies or others?
Depend on your situation, can try drop, gel or ointment
More important, pick one which is preservative free..
I am using systane now.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4843 posts
4378 upvotes
B.C.
Another vote here for Systane. I use Systane Ultra in the left and Systane gel in the right. I live in a very dry place and my eyes get really super dry at night. I wait until Systane's on sale for around $8, then also use this $2-off coupon that's been around for quite a long time: https://systane-ca.myalcon.com/ca-en/ey ... ne/coupon/ And I stock up.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1727 posts
1547 upvotes
Systane is a popular choice.

But Systane has different eye drops that are geared to specific types of dry eye. You should speak with your eye doctor to confirm which one is right for you.

Systane Ultra is primarily for aqueous tear-deficient dry eye
Systane Balance is primarily for evaporative dry eye.
While the most recent product, Systane Complete addresses both major types of dry eye. (so if you have elements of both, or if you are not sure which one, Complete is the safe choice).
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
gushingtears wrote: My eyes are really dry these days.

But I haven't bought any eye drop products since I came to Canada.

What do Canadians usually buy to lubricate their eyes?
Are your eyes also itchy, tingling, specifically at the corners?? You may have eye allergies or conjunctivitis. Both conditions can cause dry itchy, twitchy eyelids as well. Systane is the common OTC solution for very minor symptoms. For prescription versions which fights chronic allergies, itchiness, dryness, bacteria.. ask your doc to prescribe Alomide or equivalents.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
tofubb wrote: Suggest you to see an ophthalmology to find out the causes. Can be allergies or others?
Depend on your situation, can try drop, gel or ointment
More important, pick one which is preservative free..
I am using systanes now.
My Ophthalmologist prescribed Xiidra (Lifitegrast ophthalmic solution 5%). If you've had laser eye surgery and cataract surgery, then this is a very effective treatment against dry eyes.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
I've heard good things about the Hydrasense product. In the past, I've used various but worked as well for me as Optrex (which I don't see much of any more).

A traditional remedy is a solution of witch hazel which works well in some cases.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2812 posts
3878 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: For dry eyes, the best are the ones containing Sodium Hyaluronate. These were a game changer for me after trying every type of drop on the market for a severe condition.

I used to get them from Europe but they are now available here. The brand names are:

Hylo (ask at the Pharmacy counter in Shoppers, or Costco)
Thealoz Duo or Hyabak (some Optometrists) - I think " Thealoz Duo" is the very best.
Hydrasense on the shelf at Shoppers (cheapest)

You can also get some of these on Amazon.
I was told to use this and it’s awesome. Hylo is more expensive. Hyabak is cheaper from a local place. It’s made in France
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3947 posts
1379 upvotes
Vancouver
HotYaris wrote: My Ophthalmologist prescribed Xiidra (Lifitegrast ophthalmic solution 5%). If you've had laser eye surgery and cataract surgery, then this is a very effective treatment against dry eyes.
Been using Xiidra for going on 2 months and it's made a difference! My eyes no longer feel gritty and irritated at the end of a work day of staring at the computer. It just boggles my mind how expensive it is however.

Also been using Hylogel that I bought at Costco (behind the pharmacy counter). At $44/bottle out of pocket, I don't think I'll be repurchasing if Xiidra continues to help with my issues.