Shopping Discussion

Can you return to Costco as a non-member?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2019 1:54 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
2756 posts
1957 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Ticco wrote: If you buy something from their website as a non-member - can you return the item in store?
What did you discover when you looked at the return policy posted on the Costco website?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 26, 2006
1229 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote: What did you discover when you looked at the return policy posted on the Costco website?
+1 - people could answer 90% of their own questions on here with a bit of resourcefulness.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote: What did you discover when you looked at the return policy posted on the Costco website?
That you can return items in-store lol

Doesn't mention anything about member vs non-member though - so I thought I could ask on RFD.

Yea I could also call them up myself to confirm

Thx anyway though
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
Ticco wrote: That you can return items in-store lol

Doesn't mention anything about member vs non-member though - so I thought I could ask on RFD.

Yea I could also call them up myself to confirm

Thx anyway though
Seems pretty self-explanatory... why wouldn't non-members be allowed to return items?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6589 posts
2945 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Like the previous poster said. Your answer is on the costco.ca website :)

https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... l/a_id/581

What is the return policy for non-members?

If you are a non-member who received a gift from a Costco member, you can return the item if you have the original receipt. If you do not have a receipt, only the purchasing member can return an item for a refund. Members can request copies of past purchases at the Membership Counter of their local Costco warehouse.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2879 posts
2892 upvotes
GTA
Hmm depends on "when you bought the item and what the item is" and which Costco you go to, how busy they are and which Cashier, etc lol

Even as a "Costco Member", they can be nice as pie, no questions asked, smooth return ... or ask you lots of questions and not provide a "hassle free experience".

I was returning an unopened item, recently purchased, and this specific cashier asked me why I wanted to return it, etc. Then when it came time to process refund, I no longer had the same credit card and was perfectly fine with a Costco cash card for more shopping, after said return.

The cashier did not want to give me a Costco Cash Card! Instead, she asked me for a Debit Card to get cash back. I said, "Sure!"

With their generous return policy, "should" be no issue. However, as a non member, best if you have Receipt in hand ... and same Credit Card to have a "smooth return process".

Hope that helps!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
bombdiggity wrote: Forget about finding the answer on Costco's site, this didn't even need to be asked on RFD either since an identical thread exists on page 2/3 in this very sub forum:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/can-you- ... r-2191756/

Last bumped Feb 19 and easily found with a one second search.
LMAO ok - yes I'm a noob I get it.

Thanks for everyone's contributions my questions have been answered
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2355 upvotes
Ticco wrote: LMAO ok - yes I'm a noob I get it.

Thanks for everyone's contributions my questions have been answered
You've been a member since 2008.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
Dru7000 wrote: I returned an item that was gifted to me before at Costco. They definitely require that you be a Costco member in order to process the return.
False
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
bombdiggity wrote: You've been a member since 2008.
Oh indeed - thus my entitlement to asking lazy questions from time to time.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
So here's an update - especially for the snarky replies by some members.

So when I went to return my phone the worker stopped us and asked for our member card, and when we explained we didn't have one they insisted we needed it in order to return our item - and they also insisted we could not have purchased the item without a member card lol.

After some arguing, they finally asked their supervisor - who said that maybe we purchased the item as a one time guest, and resisted letting us return it, but in the end finally did.

So this was precisely why I asked my question - because this isn't the first instance where clueless staff give you a hard time in contravention of their own policies stated on their website lol.

Anyway - thanks for the insights to those that provided theirs.

This was my experience so there. Probably a good idea next time, to keep your packaging, invoice, receipt, and have a copy of their return policy and also a screen shot that shows you can purchase certain items as a "non member"...
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: False
Semi-true - happened to me. Had to hold my ground because the guy insisted we couldn't return without a member card :facepalm:
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2355 upvotes
Ticco wrote: So here's an update - especially for the snarky replies by some members.

So when I went to return my phone the worker stopped us and asked for our member card, and when we explained we didn't have one they insisted we needed it in order to return our item - and they also insisted we could not have purchased the item without a member card lol.

After some arguing, they finally asked their supervisor - who said that maybe we purchased the item as a one time guest, and resisted letting us return it, but in the end finally did.

So this was precisely why I asked my question - because this isn't the first instance where clueless staff give you a hard time in contravention of their own policies stated on their website lol.

Anyway - thanks for the insights to those that provided theirs.

This was my experience so there. Probably a good idea next time, to keep your packaging, invoice, receipt, and have a copy of their return policy and also a screen shot that shows you can purchase certain items as a "non member"...
TBH you asked because you didn't realize there was a thread already about this and you didn't look at the site yet.

Also TBH, no matter what people say on here, nothing supports your case more than written policy on a company's website, so whatever people say on here has no bearing on a "you vs staff clueless about their own written policies" situation. For that, you can just point them toward their own policy. It's not like you can point them to this thread and say "see, this is what anonymous people on an internet forum say so you're wrong!"

I can think of two situations where somebody might want to return something without a member card these employees didn't consider:

- item was purchased before card expired or membership cancelled and then person wants to refund the item
- online purchase which doesn't require membership

You can also walk in without a member card if you are interested/feigning interest in obtaining a membership since the counter and line to do so is inside and to get there one must walk in without being a member. You can also walk in without a member card if you're headed to the pharmacy because you don't require a membership for prescriptions.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
bombdiggity wrote: TBH you asked because you didn't realize there was a thread already about this and you didn't look at the site yet.

Also TBH, no matter what people say on here, nothing supports your case more than written policy on a company's website, so whatever people say on here has no bearing on a "you vs staff clueless about their own written policies" situation. For that, you can just point them toward their own policy. It's not like you can point them to this thread and say "see, this is what anonymous people on an internet forum say so you're wrong!"

I can think of two situations where somebody might want to return something without a member card these employees didn't consider:

- item was purchased before card expired or membership cancelled and then person wants to refund the item
- online purchase which doesn't require membership

You can also walk in without a member card if you are interested/feigning interest in obtaining a membership since the counter and line to do so is inside and to get there one must walk in without being a member. You can also walk in without a member card if you're headed to the pharmacy because you don't require a membership for prescriptions.
Yea I already admitted I could have searched the forum first lol

But my point was that I wanted to check what people's actual experiences were like vs just looking at the website policy - this isn't in re: to your post because you're right, I could ahve done a forum search. I'm referring to the smart a** replies "oh, you can look up the policy on the website"


"Also TBH, no matter what people say on here, nothing supports your case more than written policy on a company's website, so whatever people say on here has no bearing on a "you vs staff clueless about their own written policies" situation. For that, you can just point them toward their own policy. It's not like you can point them to this thread and say "see, this is what anonymous people on an internet forum say so you're wrong"

This was most certainly not my point and you must think I'm a moron if you think that was my purpose.

The purpose was already explained by me - if I can get a general idea of what people's actual experiences were like, then I'd be better prepared to encounter these clueless staff and yes, I would have the official policy on hand, not the link to an RFD thread :facepalm:

I pretty much wanted to know if it would be a smooth and simple experience, no questions asked type of process VS will there be push back, will I need to have the website policy handy, will there be complications etc...
Last edited by Ticco on Feb 28th, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
Ticco wrote: Semi-true - happened to me. Had to hold my ground because the guy insisted we couldn't return without a member card :facepalm:
Still false because store policy trumps employee opinion.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Still false because store policy trumps employee opinion.
No sh*t captain obvious

I had to argue this point for 10 mins before the guy said he'd ask the supervisor first

Top