Home & Garden

Can you run speaker wire under vinyl plank?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 5:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2310 posts
849 upvotes

Can you run speaker wire under vinyl plank?

Redoing the floors in a condo and the run across the floor is about 10 feet vs 70 going all the way around x 2 for the rear speakers, hiding the wire behind the baseboard. Anyone know if it can be run under the vinyl plank flooring straight across? Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9983 posts
4269 upvotes
Vaughan
Sure you can, if you decide to change the wires, that is a problem. Rip out from baseboard is easier fix than flooring planks. Loudly Crying Face
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2310 posts
849 upvotes
Well the tv can only go on two walls in the place so if I decided to switch the run across the floor would still work. I’m just concerned about damage to the wire from walking across the floor.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2030 posts
1097 upvotes
Oakville
What gauge wire are you planning to use?

Wire will be pretty thick so you are going to have a hump in your flooring with the wiring underneath, and as you said, will wear through the insulation due to the flooring on top..

Or, were you going to cut out a channel in the subfloor for the wiring.
Jul 7, 2020
867 posts
476 upvotes
benjicash wrote: Redoing the floors in a condo and the run across the floor is about 10 feet vs 70 going all the way around x 2 for the rear speakers, hiding the wire behind the baseboard. Anyone know if it can be run under the vinyl plank flooring straight across? Thanks.
I would never do this. Better to explore other options such as baseboard, etc. as someone suggested.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11981 posts
7134 upvotes
Paris
dHelpfuldude wrote: plus 1 for the flat wire. this is the best option for the floor as it will not leave any bumps.
I actually used it on my kitchen cabinets to put in puck LED lighting and run the wires for no drill wire install. You can’t see the white on white at all, unless I told you it was there.
Mar 13, 2021
164 posts
166 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I actually used it on my kitchen cabinets to put in puck LED lighting and run the wires for no drill wire install. You can’t see the white on white at all, unless I told you it was there.
that's a great idea, that I have to steal now
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11981 posts
7134 upvotes
Paris
dHelpfuldude wrote: that's a great idea, that I have to steal now
If I did it today, I would run LED strips with the Lee Valley extrusions and diffusers which would hide the wires. My kitchen has no valance on the bottom to hide anything, so LED pucks and flat wire worked great. I had to use other glue to get it to stick though as the included stickiness wasn’t great.

I feel like the wire was expensive at around 75 cents a foot for 16 gauge, not the $2/foot in the amazon link I provided. I did it around 2013/2014 though.
Mar 13, 2021
164 posts
166 upvotes
Jerico wrote: If I did it today, I would run LED strips with the Lee Valley extrusions and diffusers which would hide the wires. My kitchen has no valance on the bottom to hide anything, so LED pucks and flat wire worked great. I had to use other glue to get it to stick though as the included stickiness wasn’t great.

I feel like the wire was expensive at around 75 cents a foot for 16 gauge, not the $2/foot in the amazon link I provided. I did it around 2013/2014 though.
Yes, the cable is super expensive.
do you have the link for channel handy? is it the one that goes in corner at 45 degrees?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11981 posts
7134 upvotes
Paris
dHelpfuldude wrote: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... em=00U4256

is this one?
I think will have to run router bit?
I would mount it like this link: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... em=00U4237

5th picture down shows it. The LED strips are available everywhere for dirt cheap. I have been buying and using them for about 7-8 years at $1/foot.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11981 posts
7134 upvotes
Paris
boyohboy wrote: OMG that's nice thanks!

Do you remember where u got the "for way less" price?
Sorry, I honestly thought it was amazon but I can’t find it in my purchase history. I know it was a pain in the ass to find at the time. It must have been eBay, but their history only goes back to 2019. I tried finding it in email but couldn’t.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3440 posts
2218 upvotes
Mississauga
The flat wire looks awesome. I guess I finally found the solution for how I am going to run wires for atmos speakers on the ceiling. The only challenge is to make it work with popcorn ceiling.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)