Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Apr 5, 2016
4 posts
5 upvotes

Can you start a new union from scratch?

Basically, small workplace. About 10 guys. Most like the idea of a union. I would be the one getting the ball rolling. I have family in CLAC and IBEW. They all say they are both a bunch of criminals. So Im leaning towards just starting my own union. Is this possible? I know my employer cant fire us all as we are sort of a specialty field, we just arent being compensated as such. I dont plan on asking for alot or crippling the company. Basically, a $4 raise for journeyman electricians to put us on par with the clackers, workboot allowance, an extra week of holiday pay for every 5 years of service, shift premium for nights up to $3 an hour.

Thats pretty much it. Not asking for alot. In return our bosses will be able to bid union jobs which I think is huge for them. Wouldnt cost them that much more a year.

So is this even possible? Huge legal hurdles?
9 replies
Feb 3, 2009
382 posts
142 upvotes
Fergus, ON
A lot easier to just join IBEW.
Licensed IBEW Electrician in Ontario makes around $43/hr base rate, night shift premium of 15-25%, pension, benefits, 10% vacation pay, raises every May 1.
Total package rate is around $60/hr.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5159 posts
689 upvotes
South of Ottawa
You can form your own union but I don't see the benefit of going that route? An established union has the resources (legal, financial, negotiating, etc.) in place already.

It would be worthwhile consulting with one to start, no matter what you decide.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3431 posts
646 upvotes
Allenford
Have you talked to your employer about those asks yet?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
In b4 OP is fired and replaced by efficient foreign worker
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
ironbrah wrote: In b4 OP is fired and replaced by efficient foreign worker
Could be OP's last month at this employer.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
pattypatpatster wrote: A lot easier to just join IBEW.
Licensed IBEW Electrician in Ontario makes around $43/hr base rate, night shift premium of 15-25%, pension, benefits, 10% vacation pay, raises every May 1.
Total package rate is around $60/hr.
So almost 10k a month? in Ontario? Nice. How long does it take to get to that level of earning?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
jetfirex2 wrote: So almost 10k a month? in Ontario? Nice. How long does it take to get to that level of earning?
4 years to become journey man. good luck trying to get indentured without family hook up and then joining union....
Feb 3, 2009
382 posts
142 upvotes
Fergus, ON
jetfirex2 wrote: So almost 10k a month? in Ontario? Nice. How long does it take to get to that level of earning?
9000 hours (approximately 5-6 years depending on slowdowns)
Consisting of 8160 hours of on-the-job work experience and 840 hours of in-school training.
ironbrah wrote: good luck trying to get indentured without family hook up and then joining union....
I agree that it is hard, but not impossible as I (and many others I know) got in without any hook ups.