• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 5:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 12, 2019
11 posts
2 upvotes

Can you still haggle with Bell anymore?

I am on a plan with Bell and I wanted to upgrade my device. I pay $70 a month for 2GB and the 'usual' local/national unlimited calling plan. Im interested in the LG V60 as I have a V30 but when I logged in to see upgrade options I'm seeing that basic prices are around the $110/120 mark before tax. Yes now Ill get 10 GB of data but I don't even use 1% of the 2GB of data that I have. So my question is it still possible to haggle with Bell sales team to reduce the upgrade options we are presented with online? I would rather stick with 2GB and have a lower price? Has anyone had any luck with haggling down new phone plans with Bell or have they become resistant to that lately?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4178 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sunnyjim wrote: I am on a plan with Bell and I wanted to upgrade my device. I pay $70 a month for 2GB and the 'usual' local/national unlimited calling plan. Im interested in the LG V60 as I have a V30 but when I logged in to see upgrade options I'm seeing that basic prices are around the $110/120 mark before tax. Yes now Ill get 10 GB of data but I don't even use 1% of the 2GB of data that I have. So my question is it still possible to haggle with Bell sales team to reduce the upgrade options we are presented with online? I would rather stick with 2GB and have a lower price? Has anyone had any luck with haggling down new phone plans with Bell or have they become resistant to that lately?
To answer your paragraph, NO. Sorry Bell or any other large telecom companies will not haggle for lower price.

But other providers will give you a winback offer if you were to port your number after your contract ends. Not sure with Bell, as they are the worst company alive to date for cellular.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
Haggle might not be the right word, but Bell does have a retentions department. So it's still possible to get better than what's advertised on the website. But if you're looking for a good price on the latest phone with a bottom end plan, that might be tough.

Bell has 2 sub brands in addition to the main brand to target different market segments. (Rogers/Telus does too, but we'll just stick to Bell for simplicity for now.) The Bell brand tends to target higher end customers. If you're only using 1% of your 2GB plan (maybe a typo as that's only 20MB?), then a from a usage point of view, Virgin (2nd tier) or Lucky (3rd tier) is where you should be looking. Lucky will strictly be BYOD. Virgin likely won't have the V60 for a while, but you can get financed phones through them.

I'd say either move on from Bell, get a plan from different brand that better suits your needs and get the phone on your own. (Would a single screen LG G8X be close enough or are you specifically looking for that dual screen for 5G?) Alternatively you could try the Virgin migration game for a reasonable price on a low end plan if you're ok with their selection of phones.

Or port out and hope Bell calls you with a winback offer.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2019
11 posts
2 upvotes
Oh wow that's great information! I'll definitely look into those avenues. Yeah I really am stuck on the v60 because of the great reviews it has received about I s battery life as opposed to the lg g8x.

I'm prepared to wait I guess, I probably could hold out till the v70 is released next year and then get the v60 at a lower price as that was what I did with the V30 as the v40 was the flagship when I got my V30. But I will look into calling bell retention team and virgin and lucky, thank-you!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)