Careers

Can you be a supervisor if you don't supervise people?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2018 2:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1791 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto

Can you be a supervisor if you don't supervise people?

Wanted to see everyone's thought's on if you can have a supervisor title if you don't supervise people? The role is more to supervise new projects and once they are in production, you are the main person involved making important decisions, but you're not exactly a project manager.
12 replies
Aug 1, 2014
303 posts
239 upvotes
Consulting companies tend to have lots of “leads” who are not managing people but rather a point of contact for certain items. It’s just a way for them to sell them to clients easier and at higher cost.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4864 upvotes
Toronto
Not an issue, for some it is even better to have a good title without having to deal with people that they report to you.

A lot of managers out there have no one under them. Even the Senior managers or some VP have no one report to them. It is just a fancy title and looks better when they have to deal with external clients.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Hahaha I interpreted the thread title the other way....

Hell yeah, Ive known a bunch of supervisors that just aren't good at "supervising" their out-of-control staff. And yes, some remained with that title.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jun 2, 2018
17 posts
I think you may well be a supervisor without having supervising abilities as most of the supervisors I've seen haven't had them... But the question is, do you think the position is good for you? I mean, you may work as a supervisor but do you think you'll be happy?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1126 posts
720 upvotes
Guelph, ON
clseea wrote: Job titles can be whatever the company wants them to be.
This exactly. What matters is how vital your job is, not what label is put on it.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11172 posts
4436 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote: This exactly. What matters is how vital your job is, not what label is put on it.
so true.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1426 posts
942 upvotes
The 6
Khichdi wrote: Consulting companies tend to have lots of “leads” who are not managing people but rather a point of contact for certain items. It’s just a way for them to sell them to clients easier and at higher cost.
The City of Toronto has quite a bit of this. They have supervisors with only 1 or 2 direct reports and sometimes none. I have noticed that in the staff directory they place names of people that aren't actually reporting to the supervisor to mask this.

They have a lot of cronyism and nepotism too so this is not an earth-shattering finding.

The Auditor General's Office has many complaints about the cronyism and nepotism. They provide lip service that they are looking into it and it's a top priority but I have been hearing the same messaging for a few years now.
Jan 11, 2017
151 posts
231 upvotes
I consider myself a working supervisor LOL, I'm lead hand but plenty of times I'm the only person in my dept so I do all the work, esp if everyones called in sick or booked that day off
winner from CasuGuru (toilet) and RockstarEnergy (PS4) , 7-11 Xbox one X
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11172 posts
4436 upvotes
desm0nd wrote: Wanted to see everyone's thought's on if you can have a supervisor title if you don't supervise people? The role is more to supervise new projects and once they are in production, you are the main person involved making important decisions, but you're not exactly a project manager.
Short answer yes. What you describe sounds more like an Application/Technical Manager
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
677 upvotes
DrunkenStupor wrote: The City of Toronto has quite a bit of this. They have supervisors with only 1 or 2 direct reports and sometimes none. I have noticed that in the staff directory they place names of people that aren't actually reporting to the supervisor to mask this.

They have a lot of cronyism and nepotism too so this is not an earth-shattering finding.

The Auditor General's Office has many complaints about the cronyism and nepotism. They provide lip service that they are looking into it and it's a top priority but I have been hearing the same messaging for a few years now.
City of Toronto isn't a consulting company

But glad to hear they run like one though

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)