Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1889 posts
620 upvotes

Can you write a check to yourself?

So I'm sitting here and all of a sudden I'm curious to know. Can you write a check to yourself? I don't mean from say your RBC account to your Scotia account. But rather, if say you had a checking account at Scotia, can you write a check that you then deposit to your savings account at Scotia? Even though they're linked together under your name?

I know you can just do a transfer over from checking to savings but just curious to know if you can also do the transfer with a check.
6 replies
Jul 31, 2007
337 posts
Yes.

But you can't write a cheque to yourself on the 27th, dated for the 31st, and deposited via bank machine, then take a cash advance on it.

This is known as Kiting and makes the banks very anxious.
Jul 4, 2008
206 posts
UrbanPoet wrote: thats how people did it in the old days...
Now you can just transfer it over
Ah, the old days. :lol: I know it well. Not because I'm that old, but when ever I visit my grandmother she always sends me to town to do her banking. She deals with three different banks and sends me off with a series of cheques, all written to herself, so she can move money between accounts and from bank to bank. :cheesygri She's been doing this for decades and has the system down to a science. And when I get back she has made apple sauce and baked cookies for me.
Jul 31, 2007
337 posts
eastwood wrote: And when I get back she has made apple sauce and baked cookies for me.
Excellent reimbursement for your efforts!
Jul 4, 2008
206 posts
Kreez wrote: Excellent reimbursement for your efforts!
:lol: Yes. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and apple sauce with extra cinnamon. The same she made me when I was three. :cheesygri

But little does she know that I am going to any branch and not HER branch. We all tried to explain internet banking with her, but she'll have none of it. Even with my mum and sister around. Again, she has it too a science. I've got her Canada Trust account set up on mine as a personal payee. She knows where the money comes from, but no idea how I can do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1889 posts
620 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: thats how people did it in the old days...
Now you can just transfer it over

Ah Ok! I was wondering how people did it without the internet and that was the only way that I thought its possible unless they always forced you to do it at a branch.