Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] 2070 Max Q Intel 9750h laptop - $1399

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2021 1:38 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 24, 2017
98 posts
96 upvotes

[Canada Computers] 2070 Max Q Intel 9750h laptop - $1399

Old graphics, but price seems fairly reasonable. This is the rebranded intel tongfang laptop from 2019.
21 replies
Newbie
Dec 24, 2011
37 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
This is a great laptop. 94wh battery and great chassis. Have a 8750 + 1070 laptop so wouldn't be much of an upgrade for me but still somewhat tempting considering how nice that laptop is. Same as Eluktronics mag-15
Jr. Member
Feb 19, 2020
112 posts
115 upvotes
Damn not a bad price it seems to tick most boxes and comes with a 94wh battery which is rare not to mention thunderbolt 3. The only flaw is the last generation processor, but if your main priority is gaming that wont be a problem.
Member
Aug 16, 2010
365 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been looking for a gaming laptop to do some heavy gaming (fs2020) and heavy video editing (davinci resolve). Would this suffice? I don't know much about these nuc 9 laptops...
Newbie
Jul 10, 2007
3 posts
3 upvotes
@Xtyle86 , a Ryzen based PC will be more suitable for heavy multicore workloads and a thin laptop would have thermal dissipation constraints that would limit performance. I would be looking at a desktop setup for what you need. The GPU in this laptop is only suitable for much older games. The RTX 2070 won't run more intensive titles like Control, Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk 2077 satisfactorily.
Jr. Member
Dec 13, 2013
170 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP - great find... seriously considering > is this an Intel product or third-party build (I think Armoury, I think Asus or something... with the shipping discount, brings the costs to app $1260 CDN, having a hard time finding similar spec-ed laptops that are new... R
Sr. Member
Dec 8, 2004
780 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Maybe pedantic, but "much older games" likely isn't a fair shake. Reviews have similar laptops doing 60fps on high with the 2070 Max-Q, so unless "satisfactorily" is ultra quality or 144fps, then I dunno that I agree.

That said, I do resoundingly agree that heavy gaming/heavy video editing is better suited to a desktop and/or a more competent (and more expensive) laptop. A quick google shows that a similar build struggles to maintain above 30fps on FS2020.

Drawbacks are the 9750h is getting long in the tooth; it's relatively inefficient compared to more recent chips. More heat, more throttling, especially in high loads (like FS and encoding are gonna be). It will absolutely work and do what you want, just anticipate noise/heat/potential compromise on quality/FPS vs a similarly priced desktop/spendier laptop.
Member
Jul 22, 2009
295 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
terribly wrote: Maybe pedantic, but "much older games" likely isn't a fair shake. Reviews have similar laptops doing 60fps on high with the 2070 Max-Q, so unless "satisfactorily" is ultra quality or 144fps, then I dunno that I agree.

That said, I do resoundingly agree that heavy gaming/heavy video editing is better suited to a desktop and/or a more competent (and more expensive) laptop. A quick google shows that a similar build struggles to maintain above 30fps on FS2020.

Drawbacks are the 9750h is getting long in the tooth; it's relatively inefficient compared to more recent chips. More heat, more throttling, especially in high loads (like FS and encoding are gonna be). It will absolutely work and do what you want, just anticipate noise/heat/potential compromise on quality/FPS vs a similarly priced desktop/spendier laptop.
For a 9750h, you'd have to undervolt it to squeeze more performance out of it.

And I agree, a 2070 in a laptop should still be able to run most current games at playable framerates. Running at 1080p, the bottleneck is more likely the CPU in this laptop's case anyways.

Also, this thing has a mechanical keyboard? That's a pretty good feature given the price point.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2008
759 posts
28 upvotes
im not an expert on computers, but i am a bit surprised by the comments here about the 2070.

Last christmas i was looking for a new gaming laptop, and ended up getting one with a 1660. I would believe that a 2060 and 2070 is newer and better than 1660. If 2070 sounds like it cant play any of the recent games, then there's really no chance I have with my 1660 :(

Like I said, not an expert, just doing casual gaming and trying to get a decent deal.
Member
Mar 3, 2012
243 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton
LezOLee wrote: For a 9750h, you'd have to undervolt it to squeeze more performance out of it.

And I agree, a 2070 in a laptop should still be able to run most current games at playable framerates. Running at 1080p, the bottleneck is more likely the CPU in this laptop's case anyways.

Also, this thing has a mechanical keyboard? That's a pretty good feature given the price point.
Upvote on this- mechanical keyboard in a laptop is a plus, esp. if you have to work from home on top of game; I think 1080 and a 2070 is completely fine- if anything you will actually be able to get the higher framerates in the panel here- the bigger complaints of the RTX series before was that it was unnecessary to spend a premium get flagship graphics on a 1080 panel and that its more for 4k gaming where you might want to fork out that money. Of course there are better CPU options out there; but this cpu and cpu combo is lots of power for mainstream gamers. I think its the more particular gamers who might care about inefficiencies or fan noise or heat.
Member
May 10, 2005
310 posts
25 upvotes
Looking at a comparable Razer laptop. 2070 Max Q, 1080P 144mhz, etc... The razer is ~$2100. I'm assuming the razer will have a slightly 'lower fan noise' and better esthetics. Hmm...
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1001 posts
730 upvotes
LittleHamza wrote: not bad but processor is like 3 years old now
Launched Q2'19. That's under 2 years. And it's not like the 10 series notebooks completely destroy the 9 series.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2008
759 posts
28 upvotes
it looks like there's another $160 shipping credit from this, so the price may go down a bit during checkout
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 4, 2008
6586 posts
6237 upvotes
Richmond Hill
renovision wrote: Thanks OP - great find... seriously considering > is this an Intel product or third-party build (I think Armoury, I think Asus or something... with the shipping discount, brings the costs to app $1260 CDN, having a hard time finding similar spec-ed laptops that are new... R
It's an intel-designed white label laptop, with the manufacturer being tongfang. a lot of boutique brands like cyberpowerpc, schenker and origin have their own variant of this and reviews are very positive

I was hoping to grab one of these a year or so ago, but it wasnt really available in canada. if i didnt buy an x1 extreme at the beginning of the pandemic, i would seriously consider this
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Newbie
Jul 29, 2019
43 posts
43 upvotes
the price does not reflect this tho. also 11th gen intel processors have now come out.
Newbie
Apr 30, 2008
69 posts
34 upvotes
i have this chasis on the same cpu with a 1060 gtx
its good and has sustained a lot of abuse by me.
but throttles quite a bit . i have managed to lower my voltage and i can maintain 3.7 ghz. the max is 3.9ghz but it will throttle when pushed to that.
i cant imaging with the 2070 how it would cool
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2008
759 posts
28 upvotes
badboy09 wrote: I am kind of on the fence between this ARMOURY one and this ASUS ROG Zephrus (https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=187791). The ASUS one does not have discount but it seems to be a good price for that configure. Any thoughts?
The Asus one has better specs with the Ryzen 9 and a larger 1TB SSD, but i think it's hard to compare the 2 given the difference in price point. With the earlier shipping credit, the Armoury one was around $1250, so it's a ~$450 difference between the 2.

I also noticed that the Asus one is also a "Max-Q" version, and watching some video reviews, it's more like the toned down version of the regular video card.

Top