Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] AOC 31.5" 1440p 10-bit IPS 75Hz Freesync [299.99]

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 11:11 pm
Jr. Member
Nov 11, 2010
131 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
PriceHunter wrote: This one or the ET322QU posted for 299.99$ as well?
Yeah I have same question! Lots of good reviews for AOC but can’t find anything on Acer...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13800 posts
14206 upvotes
minguione78 wrote: Yeah I have same question! Lots of good reviews for AOC but can’t find anything on Acer...
AOC is dealing with some PR confusion as they're being meme'd in with that ditzy millennial socialist politician in DC.

I've used AOC monitors on and off for 20 years with satisfaction. However, I believe the monitor design and existing RFD community tweaks for the ET322QU make it a superior option, but both monitors are great options. ET322QU wins on price as a small filler makes it eligible for a $30 off $300 Staples coupon, reducing the price to approx. $270 + HST.

Here's my curated post on the Acer ET322QU:
staples-acer-et322qu-31-5-wqhd-ips-moni ... #p30598258

On the 10 bit color claim for the AOC, I would venture to guess the color fidelity is comparable on the two monitors in actual fact.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 8, 2003
8861 posts
1237 upvotes
Richmond Hill
redflagdealsguy wrote: AOC is dealing with some PR confusion as they're being meme'd in with that ditzy millennial socialist politician in DC.

I've used AOC monitors on and off for 20 years with satisfaction. However, I believe the monitor design and existing RFD community tweaks for the ET322QU make it a superior option, but both monitors are great options. ET322QU wins on price as a small filler makes it eligible for a $30 off $300 Staples coupon, reducing the price to approx. $270 + HST.

Here's my curated post on the Acer ET322QU:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/staples- ... #p30598258

On the 10 bit color claim for the AOC, I would venture to guess the color fidelity is comparable on the two monitors in actual fact.
Both AOC and Acer are 8+2bit panels? Can't seem to find on their page showing capable of 1.07 billion colors. And are they factory pre-calibrated? Thanks
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13800 posts
14206 upvotes
wlee wrote: Both AOC and Acer are 8+2bit panels? Can't seem to find on their page showing capable of 1.07 billion colors. And are they factory pre-calibrated? Thanks
I can't speak to the degree of factory calibration. They come out of the box good for common use cases.

I have had video and photo editing folks tell me they don't like Acer, so if you're keen on that I can see you preferring the AOC. I prefer the Acer knowing the Staples return is painless and there are already some very good tweaks and calibrations in this community.

They're very similar monitors, so it's a judgement call.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
817 posts
296 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I can't speak to the degree of factory calibration. They come out of the box good for common use cases.

I have had video and photo editing folks tell me they don't like Acer, so if you're keen on that I can see you preferring the AOC. I prefer the Acer knowing the Staples return is painless and there are already some very good tweaks and calibrations in this community.

They're very similar monitors, so it's a judgement call.
I'm actually on the fence about this AOC monitor and the one you posted about specifically for video colour grading purposes. I am starting to learn the workflow for filming and colouring for an HDR export since last year, but the only reason I keep delaying is lack of a proper 10bit monitor.

So if a screen claims to be 10bit, I am definitely leaning towards it. I know you say the specs are largely similar between this and the Acer, but I assume you mean for common use scenarios, and not for those who specifically need the extra bit depth for professional use?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13800 posts
14206 upvotes
swaghunter wrote: I'm actually on the fence about this AOC monitor and the one you posted about specifically for video colour grading purposes. I am starting to learn the workflow for filming and colouring for an HDR export since last year, but the only reason I keep delaying is lack of a proper 10bit monitor.

So if a screen claims to be 10bit, I am definitely leaning towards it. I know you say the specs are largely similar between this and the Acer, but I assume you mean for common use scenarios, and not for those who specifically need the extra bit depth for professional use?
The AOC may have better color fidelity, so possibly better for professional v/p editing use.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Newbie
Nov 9, 2017
90 posts
86 upvotes
PriceHunter wrote: This one or the ET322QU posted for 299.99$ as well?
Personally, I will go with Acer from Staples... Easier to deal with for return, exchange or warranty....
Sr. Member
May 23, 2008
740 posts
303 upvotes
Gtown ON
RaidZero wrote: I got one yesterday and I cannot adjust brightness and contrast in the OSD menu. Anyone else has this problem? Thanks.
I am going to answer myself. Those OSD controls are disabled for HDMI, and enabled only for VGA. I really like this monitor.
Jr. Member
Nov 11, 2010
131 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
RaidZero wrote: I am going to answer myself. Those OSD controls are disabled for HDMI, and enabled only for VGA. I really like this monitor.
So how can you modify without access on hdmi? Same on displayport?
Sr. Member
May 23, 2008
740 posts
303 upvotes
Gtown ON
minguione78 wrote: So how can you modify without access on hdmi? Same on displayport?
Yes, I can change those parameters from AMD Radeon Settings. I thought I can do it also from the OSD, but AOC says the OSD brightness/contrast can only be changed for VGA. Makes sense, VGA is analog, HDMI is digital and the panel can be controlled directly by the video card.
DVI is the same as HMDI, I tried it. I don't have a DisplayPort cable, and my video card (Radeon 290) does not have a VGA port.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14225 posts
4370 upvotes
Montreal
Cooldeal75 wrote: Personally, I will go with Acer from Staples... Easier to deal with for return, exchange or warranty....
Same here, and I could just envision buying a DOA piece of crap at CC, and then having to fight with them for hours trying to get an exchange.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Jr. Member
Nov 11, 2010
131 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
RaidZero wrote: Yes, I can change those parameters from AMD Radeon Settings. I thought I can do it also from the OSD, but AOC says the OSD brightness/contrast can only be changed for VGA. Makes sense, VGA is analog, HDMI is digital and the panel can be controlled directly by the video card.
DVI is the same as HMDI, I tried it. I don't have a DisplayPort cable, and my video card (Radeon 290) does not have a VGA port.
You tried the monitor on DVI? How was it at 60hz? I have a Geforce 8800GT and was looking at this monitor over the acer given the DVI output connector... I don't want to change my video card anytime soon. I don't play games, mostly excel/word stuff with some youtube videos
Sr. Member
May 23, 2008
740 posts
303 upvotes
Gtown ON
minguione78 wrote: You tried the monitor on DVI? How was it at 60hz? I have a Geforce 8800GT and was looking at this monitor over the acer given the DVI output connector... I don't want to change my video card anytime soon. I don't play games, mostly excel/word stuff with some youtube videos
I only had it on DVI for a minute, to check the OSD. Didn't seem any different from HDMI. I don't think I can tell the difference between 60 and 75 Hz. The AMD settings software says I am running at 75 with HDMI.
Sr. Member
Jul 28, 2010
717 posts
357 upvotes
Does this do Freesync over HDMI, or just DP? I don't have a DP port but have USB-c. Would prefer not to have to buy another cable.

Top