• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 3:20 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2007
425 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto

[Canada Computers] ASUS ROG Strix B550-A Gaming - $199.99

This board is identical to the B550-F except with a white scheme, as you can clearly see. Fantastic VRM quality and thermals, reviews speak for themselves. I missed out on this deal as I bought the B550-F for $30 MORE on the PREVIOUS sale. That's Canada Computers for you ha.

NOTE: Canada Computers keeps either changing their return policies around (and final sale rules), or it is heavily dependent on the product. For this board, it DOES SAY FINAL SALE on the page, so be wary of that. I would go as far to say that it's fairly impossible to go wrong with this motherboard, but keep that in mind. They do have a 30-day defective exchange (at the very least).
NOTE 2: This board does not have WiFi/BT built in.

I can attest to this board's stability and overall excellent design. I haven't tried extreme overclocking but it's easy to find info from multiple sources about how great this board is. At this price it's a steal.

For those that are looking for X570, I will have another post for the TUF X570-Plus from Newegg for a great deal too.

Happy building,
hv
21 replies
Feb 4, 2017
144 posts
73 upvotes
hv6478 wrote: This board is identical to the B550-F except with a white scheme, as you can clearly see. Fantastic VRM quality and thermals, reviews speak for themselves. I missed out on this deal as I bought the B550-F for $30 MORE on the PREVIOUS sale. That's Canada Computers for you ha.

NOTE: Canada Computers keeps either changing their return policies around (and final sale rules), or it is heavily dependent on the product. For this board, it DOES SAY FINAL SALE on the page, so be wary of that. I would go as far to say that it's fairly impossible to go wrong with this motherboard, but keep that in mind. They do have a 30-day defective exchange (at the very least).
NOTE 2: This board does not have WiFi/BT built in.

I can attest to this board's stability and overall excellent design. I haven't tried extreme overclocking but it's easy to find info from multiple sources about how great this board is. At this price it's a steal.

For those that are looking for X570, I will have another post for the TUF X570-Plus from Newegg for a great deal too.

Happy building,
hv
I grabbed this from Amazon today for $179.99. It's back up to $250ish at the moment but others have said they were able to refresh the page and got lucky at the $179.99 price.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1210 posts
421 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bobbyhavoc wrote: I grabbed this from Amazon today for $179.99. It's back up to $250ish at the moment but others have said they were able to refresh the page and got lucky at the $179.99 price.
No luck:(
Jan 12, 2007
295 posts
136 upvotes
I used the B550-F for my build.
We did run into some system OS crashes 2 weeks after the build, I suspect it was caused by some ASUS software which modified the fan settings.
After a complete re-install and a BIOS reset everything has been solid so far
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
1366 posts
4238 upvotes
bobbyhavoc wrote: I grabbed this from Amazon today for $179.99. It's back up to $250ish at the moment but others have said they were able to refresh the page and got lucky at the $179.99 price.
omg i cant believe i missed this
Jun 18, 2017
51 posts
29 upvotes
I ordered the B550 Gaming Edge Wifi for $210 from CC last week ($200 with mail-in rebate), $60 off original. Plus it's got WIFI + BT. Anyone know how this performs vs that? I'd imagine it's pretty much the same.
Feb 28, 2020
83 posts
108 upvotes
woppaF5 wrote: I ordered the B550 Gaming Edge Wifi for $210 from CC last week ($200 with mail-in rebate), $60 off original. Plus it's got WIFI + BT. Anyone know how this performs vs that? I'd imagine it's pretty much the same.
The MSI is better overall has two less USB-A ports.
Nov 18, 2017
753 posts
483 upvotes
Great mobo, terrible re-seller. PM somewhere else if you can, these guys are a nightmare to say the least.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2007
425 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
The Gaming Edge I would not say is better than this board, it's not in the same tier. Not a bad board but not in the same class.

MSI does have some great boards though. The Tomahawk and up for the most part, for example, are great.
Jun 18, 2017
51 posts
29 upvotes
hv6478 wrote: The Gaming Edge I would not say is better than this board, it's not in the same tier. Not a bad board but not in the same class.

MSI does have some great boards though. The Tomahawk and up for the most part, for example, are great.
What makes you say it's not in the same class but praise the Tomahawk? The Gaming Edge and Tomahawk are basically the same board except Gaming Edge has WIFI.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1783 posts
167 upvotes
How is this board vs the x570 chipset. I like how the b550 is silent, as it has no fan. Looking at a zen 3 build. Should I want longer or pull the trigger on one of these Asus boards?
Mar 7, 2004
391 posts
63 upvotes
ontario
It's funny, I was waiting months for a deal on an ATX MB and saw nada threads for one and then finally last week jumped on an open-box B450 Tomahawk Max from Mike's during their 25% off clearance. If this had come along earlier, I might have got this instead for the extra M.2 socket and overall more up-to-date features, albeit for almost twice as much.
could have = could've ≠ could of
Jun 18, 2017
51 posts
29 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: How is this board vs the x570 chipset. I like how the b550 is silent, as it has no fan. Looking at a zen 3 build. Should I want longer or pull the trigger on one of these Asus boards?
Don't bother with X570. The difference between the two is that X570 has full PCIe 4.0 on all slots, but adds a fan to the chipset. B550 has PCIe 4.0 for the one m2 drive and one GPU, but NO FAN!! So unless you like to copy TBs of data around different drives for fun, go B550. Heck get a B450 if you want, it's really not gonna change anything in normal Windows usage or gaming, but will need to wait for beta BIOS in Jan for zen3 support.

That said, B550/X570 boards of different variants have prices varying all the place, so just get whatever is the cheapest that meets your needs.
Nov 16, 2016
17 posts
17 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: Great mobo, terrible re-seller. PM somewhere else if you can, these guys are a nightmare to say the least.
I usually like to play Memory Express and Canada Computers off each other since they both offered universal price-beating on any halfway-reputable retailer. Then CC suddenly decided to put a halt on price-beating under the baffling nonsensical excuse of being a Covid protection measure, so ME has been getting way more of my business for my upcoming build.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2007
425 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
woppaF5 wrote: What makes you say it's not in the same class but praise the Tomahawk? The Gaming Edge and Tomahawk are basically the same board except Gaming Edge has WIFI.
Good call. This is true along with the VRMs, I was thinking of the Gaming Plus.

That said I would take the Intel LAN on the Strix over the Realtek on that particular MSI.