Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] Asus Zenfone 4 - 199.88 (GVA)

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 9:00 am
[OP]
Mar 25, 2018
3 posts
16 upvotes

[Canada Computers] Asus Zenfone 4 - 199.88 (GVA)

Hi there,

Sorry for any mistakes as this is my first post. Dropped my phone on the ground and was looking for a replacement. Found a white Asus Zenfone 4 on clearance from Canada Computers. Pretty good price for the phone specs. There appears to be some open boxes also for both colours. Not to sure if they are willing to ship to the east.

Burnaby x 2 white left
Richmond x 1 white left

Goodluck!
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1131 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
I have this phone. It's a really good size and good for the price. Camera's awesome, speed is good. It also has nice surround speakers and good audio software to make it sound better. However, I have a few issues with the UI (not sure of the right word?) being laggy after firmware updates. So if you do get it, try to disable those updates because they will really mess things up. Make sure you get a screen protector and case as it's super easy to dent/scratch it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7770 posts
3248 upvotes
MVRD
No Android 9 / P for this. No root, no custom ROM.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2248 posts
799 upvotes
Burnaby
Say no to Asus phones. Seriously. Seems good bang for buck at beginning, then plagued with problems.
Oct 20, 2014
41 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great deal, Costco also has on sale now for $299

I've had this phone for almost a year now without any issues. I received the zenfone 4 as a warranty replacement for my zenfone 3 which was having issues with the camera focus. This supports some claims of asus phones having issues but bang for the buck it is a good option.

Midrange phone for a great price.
Aug 11, 2017
439 posts
219 upvotes
meepsheep wrote: I have this phone. It's a really good size and good for the price. Camera's awesome, speed is good. It also has nice surround speakers and good audio software to make it sound better. However, I have a few issues with the UI (not sure of the right word?) being laggy after firmware updates. So if you do get it, try to disable those updates because they will really mess things up. Make sure you get a screen protector and case as it's super easy to dent/scratch it.
How can Speed be good and UI is laggy?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11973 posts
276 upvotes
I've had this phone for almost exactly one year, and I'm now a believer in cheap Android phones UNLESS you use it as your only camera, and actually want to have quality photos. From that standpoint, it cannot compare to the (broken) Pixel 2 it replaced, nor can cheap phones in general keep up with the best and brightest.

As far as any sort of actual phone/productivity aspects, it's really just as good from a day to day perspective, and the battery life started better and stayed better.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20433 posts
140400 upvotes
GTA
We are on the cusp of the Zenfone 6 being released. Personally I would wait out the 2 - 3 weeks to see if there might be further price drops on this or the 5.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote:
May 4th, 2019 4:01 am
Say no to Asus phones. Seriously. Seems good bang for buck at beginning, then plagued with problems.
+1. We have 3 generations of Asus phones, and they all developed problems quickly. While it's true that our family uses their phones hard (like installing lots of clutter and not treating them gently), our other Motorola and Samsung phones don't seem to have these problems.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2027 posts
279 upvotes
That is quite an ancient phone OP. ASUS has lost the flavour it had a couple of years ago and is nowhere to be seen today. Moto also but it has all the frequencies.
I believe this Motorola would be better at $199 in-store.
Mar 17, 2009
313 posts
96 upvotes
I don't believe this is getting further software updates. Also consider that ASUS is all but shutting down their phone division. Their phone division still exists, but a vast majority of it will be gone. Those updates need TLC and without people to work on it, you know what you're getting. I would look at the upcoming Google Pixel 3a to be honest. If this ZenFone was $150, maybe it's worth it. Given the amount of losses ASUS is posting for getting out of the phone business, there is going to be a fire sale to clear out their inventory.
Jun 24, 2017
17 posts
11 upvotes
strange! its feature list only 4 3G frequence, and NO 4G channel !!! (means no LTE)
Nov 4, 2016
781 posts
466 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
May 4th, 2019 10:11 am
+1. We have 3 generations of Asus phones, and they all developed problems quickly. While it's true that our family uses their phones hard (like installing lots of clutter and not treating them gently), our other Motorola and Samsung phones don't seem to have these problems.
We have the opposite story. My wife had been using her ZenFone 2 Laser since June 2016. I had been using my Zenfone 3 Zoom since August 2017. No problems except for running out of storage space (hers is only 16GB, mine is 32GB).

Meanwhile My own LG G1 flat out died. My mother's Samsung C7 flat out died on her because the the charging mechanism inside got fried while charging. My sister's LG G4 also died and I had to use the "freezer method" to save her photos. My dad's Samsung A8 has its screen cracked while it was in his jeans pocket.

My experience tells me to avoid Korean phones and go for Asus. I think Asus make solid phones.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1131 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
Landon99 wrote:
May 4th, 2019 6:43 am
How can Speed be good and UI is laggy?
All apps run smoothly. UI is good but sometimes slows down on the home screen. It's an occasional issue.
Mar 18, 2018
41 posts
30 upvotes
meepsheep wrote:
May 4th, 2019 2:33 am
I have this phone. It's a really good size and good for the price. Camera's awesome, speed is good. It also has nice surround speakers and good audio software to make it sound better. However, I have a few issues with the UI (not sure of the right word?) being laggy after firmware updates. So if you do get it, try to disable those updates because they will really mess things up. Make sure you get a screen protector and case as it's super easy to dent/scratch it.
Re performance, two things to look at are:

a) another launcher - often OEM developer teams for the stock launcher (and other default apps, like camera) are not crackerjack, and there's a lot to be gained from installing third party apps as defaults instead. Complaints about how Android (as compared to Apple) devices "look and feel" are usually unwarranted because (unlike Apple) the user interface can be completely renovated with third-party functionality.

b) It's generally a bad idea to disable system updates / upgrades, but Android system installs leave a ton of useless residual kludge in the system cache, that can impact performance by confusing or clogging devices rummaging through it all while they run. Android devices generally have a "Recovery Mode" hidden menu - often activated with power+volume button on reboot - that permits a System Cache Wipe (terminology varies). I routinely do this procedure after any large Android system update or version upgrade. Obviously confirm for your own model and verify any online advice from anybody, including me.
Last edited by AlbinForo on May 4th, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.