Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] Azio Typewriter Inspired Mechanical Keyboard $99.99 (Reg: $129.99, 23% off)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1379 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto

[Canada Computers] Azio Typewriter Inspired Mechanical Keyboard $99.99 (Reg: $129.99, 23% off)

Fun mechanical keyboard for enthusiastic typists like me :)
Lowest it's ever been.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1518 posts
1051 upvotes
Waterloo
terrible keyboard. looks cool but very not practical. i tried a demo one at a canada computers. your fingers cannot glide from one key to another due to the shape of the key and the gap between the keys. so what happens is that you're spending extra time lifting your fingers and travelling to the next key.

there's a reason all keyboards are designed square and the edge of one key reaches to the edge of the next one.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2259 posts
298 upvotes
The item number says MK Retro, but the description and images are the Retro Classic, which is a higher-end model. Any idea which it is?

EDIT: This is not the Classic. It does not have leather and looks a bit cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1379 posts
1153 upvotes
Toronto
RedFlagRobot wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 11:27 am
The item number says MK Retro, but the description and images are the Retro Classic, which is a higher-end model. Any idea which it is?

EDIT: This is not the Classic. It does not have leather and looks a bit cheaper.
This one is the plastic one. I just tried it out and it's not leather or anything. Just plain black.
Feb 15, 2017
163 posts
44 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 11:04 am
terrible keyboard. looks cool but very not practical. i tried a demo one at a canada computers. your fingers cannot glide from one key to another due to the shape of the key and the gap between the keys. so what happens is that you're spending extra time lifting your fingers and travelling to the next key.

there's a reason all keyboards are designed square and the edge of one key reaches to the edge of the next one.
I recalled reading somewhere that the early mechanical typewriter keys were designed as such so that the typist could not type too fast, because typing too fast would jam the letter strikers, that is the blades which rise up and strikes the ink ribbon and the paper as the keys are pressed. The blade that rises up and strikes the paper needs time to fall back to its resting position before the next blade for another letter comes up to strike.

So if it is very hard to type fast with this retro design, then it works as it was designed.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2628 posts
1829 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sicklyslick wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 11:04 am

Yes, but that's not the point of this keyboard. That doesn't make it terrible; that just makes it not for you.
Feb 2, 2003
293 posts
43 upvotes
slomoo wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 11:54 am
I recalled reading somewhere that the early mechanical typewriter keys were designed as such so that the typist could not type too fast, because typing too fast would jam the letter strikers, that is the blades which rise up and strikes the ink ribbon and the paper as the keys are pressed. The blade that rises up and strikes the paper needs time to fall back to its resting position before the next blade for another letter comes up to strike.

So if it is very hard to type fast with this retro design, then it works as it was designed.
It was the QWERTY design that was designed in such a way to reduce jamming by spreading out the most commonly pressed keys. I don't know if square buttons on a mechanical typewriter would make much of a difference speed-wise.

Mobilesyrup had a review of the upscale brass and leather Azio retro keyboard here:
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/01/azio ... -keyboard/
I absolutely love the looks of this one but find it hard to justify spending $280 on a keyboard especially since I'd have to change out my PC case and other peripherals to match the steampunk theme.
Feb 15, 2017
163 posts
44 upvotes
kon_kat wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 9:00 pm
It was the QWERTY design that was designed in such a way to reduce jamming by spreading out the most commonly pressed keys. I don't know if square buttons on a mechanical typewriter would make much of a difference speed-wise.
Most of newer model electrical typewriters, which have a way to prevent jam, have square keys that are close to each other.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pictures ... 80&bih=947
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1357 posts
403 upvotes
slomoo wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 11:54 am
Yep, that's exactly what they did. I'm sure for those who had to use them everyday the electric typewriter (which solved this problem) was the invention of the century.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10323 posts
10454 upvotes
I used one keyboard like this in-store, after a good minute I wanted to throw it into the sun.

Hot garbage.