Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2493 posts
1041 upvotes
Mississauga
Can the HD and ram size be upgraded? If someone can provide a link/vid tutorial that would be appreciated
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1102 posts
699 upvotes
mau_mau wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 8:53 am
Can the HD and ram size be upgraded? If someone can provide a link/vid tutorial that would be appreciated
Both are answered in the first post
Jan 20, 2007
543 posts
346 upvotes
Would I be able to cast video from Chrome to my TV with this laptop? Or is the CPU too weak?
Mar 1, 2011
181 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
I ordered an iSmart laptop. For $199 it was hard to resist. Can you use an 2242 SSD on this laptop? Don't see in the pictures if there is the a screw for the smaller 2242 unless its under the tape.

I had an older ASUS E201NA with 2GB RAM and 32GB memory (eMMC) and it handled light use apps under Windows 10 with ease. I think the iSmart will be more than adequate with Windows 10 and light use as you can increase the TDP and install a non-eMMC SSD. I'll provide a report after I spend some time with the iSmart and get it setup.

The tutorial to tweak Windows 10 for speed is great.

Thanks to the OP and other feedback to help me make my decision.
May 16, 2003
146 posts
17 upvotes
instead of letting it search for drivers, i pointed it to original installation on 32gb drive /windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository. there may be a better way but it worked for me
tripleflip wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 5:30 am
how do you pull drivers from the stock windows installation?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5953 posts
206 upvotes
Scarborough
I just bought one in store. I'll play around with it and see how it is I have a 500GB SSD laying around I can put in there

How would I put windows on the 500 GB SSD as I don't see any CD Key sticker on the bottom of the laptop
Sep 4, 2007
595 posts
70 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
lithiumli wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 5:07 pm
I just bought one in store. I'll play around with it and see how it is I have a 500GB SSD laying around I can put in there

How would I put windows on the 500 GB SSD as I don't see any CD Key sticker on the bottom of the laptop
All Windows10 are digital entitlement. That means no keys needed as long as the hardware had been activated. So, download the current Win10 from MS, swap your drive and install Win10. Just select I don't have a key when it ask for one. Once installed, it should be able to activate online.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6422 posts
2263 upvotes
Toronto
lithiumli wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 5:07 pm

You could put it in and use a program like Todo backup free to clone the drive. But if not, lots of suggestions for a fresh install in this thread.
Jul 15, 2011
6 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks OP and wonderful RFD! I got one today.
Tried to press the power button but cannot power on!!!! tried many times, with or without power cord connected. only see a tiny led turns red at the left bottom corner and the screen is still dark!.
Any one know what is the cause?
Jan 20, 2007
543 posts
346 upvotes
V-ron wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 10:06 am
Would I be able to cast video from Chrome to my TV with this laptop? Or is the CPU too weak?
Anyone? This would be a deal breaker for me. I know I can connect to the TV via HDMI but this is not the ideal route for my setup.
Sep 27, 2013
265 posts
67 upvotes
Anybody knows compatible ssd on sale with this machine
Jul 1, 2006
985 posts
32 upvotes
Hey does anyone what to press to get to the recovery partition to reinstall windows ?
Aug 15, 2010
20 posts
3 upvotes
eliteqing wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 7:21 pm
Thanks OP and wonderful RFD! I got one today.
Tried to press the power button but cannot power on!!!! tried many times, with or without power cord connected. only see a tiny led turns red at the left bottom corner and the screen is still dark!.
Any one know what is the cause?
Make sure the power cord is plugged in on the left side. The headphone jack on the right side is the perfect size for the power cord...
Aug 15, 2010
20 posts
3 upvotes
I just picked one up today and figured I would give a quick review. I bought this for surfing the web, using Microsoft Office and Coding

The initial one I bought worked for the setup, but then did not work afterwards. It wouldn't power on. I took it back to the store, swapped it only to realise that the power cord port is on the left side and I had been plugging it into the headphone jack port... :facepalm:

Bang for the buck, you can't beat the price.

I have an XPS 15 and a 2017 macbook pro 13'

What I liked:
Metal case
1080 resolution screen
Good battery life
SSD slot
Size/ weight. This thing is ultra portable.

What I dislike so far:
The power adapter cord is a bit short, and the connector should not be designed in a way that it can fit into the headphone jack.
The keyboard is not centered under the mouse, there is a row of buttons on the far right. This will just take some time to get used to.
The track pad isn't slippery enough and clicking and dragging is a bit of a pain. Try playing solitaire in store and you will see what I mean.
There is no back-lit keyboard, but I can't expect it for this price range.
There really is no support website, or any support I could find on the web. The instructions that come with the computer are a joke.

I have installed VS Code and Chrome on it. Chrome is a CPU hog 50-75% 600MB RAM. VS code uses around 15% when in the front ~400MB of RAM. As stated before by others, the CPU is the bottleneck.

After installing both I have 10.3 GB free storage.

Next steps for me, would be to try the speed up tutorial and try firefox instead of chrome.

No regrets at this point and I am happy with my purchase.

Thanks again to OP for posting a detailed review that got me considering this in the first place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3209 posts
3407 upvotes
timm3h wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 9:30 pm
Make sure the power cord is plugged in on the left side. The headphone jack on the right side is the perfect size for the power cord...
lmao...i will put this in the OP to avoid future confusions...Face With Tears Of Joy
Bitcoin will crash hard.