Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 2:44 pm
Why buy this instead of any 200$ chromebook with the OS capable of running the book for usually 7-9 hours in my experience? and without worrying about windows updates running you out of space?

If this is truely for those who want to browse the net and watch cat videos, I would get a chromebook hands down.
I personally prefer the windows version of hearthstone deck tracker, and often use Adobe Acrobat Professional

People also like using MS Office.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Oct 19, 2009
172 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Is anyone dual-booting Win10 / Linux on this laptop? Has anyone tried to install Linux on it (without any attempt to retain Win10) ? My laptops need to be Linux-capable.
Apr 12, 2015
27 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought this laptop for my sister and here are my thoughts.

Pros
- The size and construction surprised me, for something so cheap the laptop seemed to be built fairly well.
- Since my sister just needs to browse the web the onboard 32GB EMMC storage was perfect after updating win 10 and installing chrome I had around 7gb free space.
I also threw in my old microSD card into the slot and it gave an additional 64gb of storage for photos and videos if she ever needs it.
- Keyboard surprised me as well, while the keyboard is certainly mushy it isn't as bad as I was led to believe and it is far superior to some keyboards I have tried on Chromebooks and lower end laptops.
- Battery life is solid got about 6 hours on one full charge.

Cons
- The screen had some noticeable light bleed on the bottom right, was a non-issue for my sister however because she didn't notice it and when I asked her if I should return it for a new one she said no.
- The keyboard is off center and takes some getting used to when typing.
- The fingerprint scanner was more of an annoyance than anything since it got in the way of me using the already small trackpad.
- The trackpad is very slippery and takes some getting used to.

All in all, I am very happy with this purchase. I see a lot of people complaining about this laptop on this thread but it's $200. You have to understand that at that price point you aren't going to get a 100% perfect product and you get what you pay for. I think this laptop is perfect for the type of people that only use a laptop to browse the web and watch movies.
Aug 31, 2010
107 posts
115 upvotes
Thanks OP!
I was looking at either fully replacing my 5+ year old graphics-workhorse machine, or just getting an inexpensive, light laptop for traveling.
This helps me save some big moolah while I re-use some spare parts to amp up the experience, and stretch my workhorse another year or so.
Mar 20, 2009
570 posts
38 upvotes
20181227_185711.jpg
20181227_185755.jpg
20181227_190116.jpg
I just bought the WD BLue drive and noticed the plug on my laptop had 1 notch while the drive has 2. Are these compatible? My firend says he put it in and the computer would not detect it. I did not want to open the drive yet as I am not sure if canada computers will take it back if it doesnt fit.
Thanks in advance
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6442 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
fightstix wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 7:08 pm
20181227_185711.jpg20181227_185755.jpg20181227_190116.jpg

I just bought the WD BLue drive and noticed the plug on my laptop had 1 notch while the drive has 2. Are these compatible? My firend says he put it in and the computer would not detect it. I did not want to open the drive yet as I am not sure if canada computers will take it back if it doesnt fit.
Thanks in advance
Yes, it'll fit.

WD Blue - compatible
WD Black - not compatible
Mar 20, 2009
570 posts
38 upvotes
Angultra wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 7:15 pm
Yes, it'll fit.

WD Blue - compatible
WD Black - not compatible
Thanks!
Mar 20, 2009
570 posts
38 upvotes
Confirmed as it sees the disk in disk manager. Just make sure you can't see the label on the ssd for the correct orientation
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
2049 posts
25 upvotes
Anyone know if this is available in store at the Toronto 366 location? I'm not sure why they would have stock there but not at the other one at 284...
Jan 3, 2004
96 posts
10 upvotes
Interesting.

I don't notice any light bleed. IMHO, the keyboard is not off centre, the trackpad is. I don't mind the fingerprint sensor. The trackpad isn't that small, you have never seen small ones if you say so. The trackpad isn't too slippery (earlier comment said it has too much friction IIRC), so I guess it's very different for different people. (You can always use a mouse anyway, for me, even the best trackpad is still a compromise anyway).

Battery life should be between 5 to 5.5 hours. 6 is a bit stretching it. The TDP is 6W and the battery is 34W, you do the math. (Battery Bar also showing it runs at about 5.8W on mine, on average).

Keyboard isn't that mushy to me (and I am typing on an IBM keyboard right now, so I should be critical on this), but what it doesn't have is enough travel, but you expect that from a thin device. Use an external keyboard like I said about trackpad.

I got almost 12 GB free space after doing a run of "clean up disk", before I had about the same as yours, about 7GB.

MicroSD is ok for a removable data storage, but it is not meant for constant data read and write like a regular disk drive. If you really need more space regularly, put in an m.2 drive instead. They start at about $40. for a name brand one. (THe earlier mentioned WD Blue is about $65. at CC).

I agree the construction and built quality is very good, both inside and outside (I have opened and checked), it's not a cheap junk as one would expect from a no name computer.

The power adapter has the 2 pins of the same width, not an North America standard (I forgot to check if it's UL or CSA approved, I doubted.).

Weak link is the camera, only 2Mp, but not unexpected at this price. There are 2 mics though, now that is a surprise on a low cost device. However, I don't know if there is software to make use of them in a noise cancellation array mic mixing or not. Would be nice, but there is no special mixer I can find in the system.

The best for me is the FHD IPS LCD. This is really really good, regardless of price. I am impressed and it beats many of my other laptops.
Jun 21, 2008
420 posts
98 upvotes
mississauga
did anyone try to backup/restore to factory. I did a windows image backup/restore to external hdd, about 9 min. each way, uses 12 GB space
Maybe start a separate post on mods if needed, please post your thoughts. So far i'm pretty happy
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4741 posts
641 upvotes
fightstix wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 7:35 pm
Confirmed as it sees the disk in disk manager. Just make sure you can't see the label on the ssd for the correct orientation
can you put the system/windows on the ssd ?
Jan 28, 2017
140 posts
67 upvotes
firehawk12 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 9:36 pm
Anyone know if this is available in store at the Toronto 366 location? I'm not sure why they would have stock there but not at the other one at 284...
I believe the other location (284) is a service centre, that's why no stock there.
Jan 18, 2017
460 posts
158 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 7:58 am
can you put the system/windows on the ssd ?
Interested to know the answer of this too. A Sata SSD will be way faster than eMMC. Planning to stick a 500gb and dual boot w10 and xubuntu on it.