Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2009
172 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
KevCnew wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 10:42 am
Interested to know the answer of this too. A Sata SSD will be way faster than eMMC. Planning to stick a 500gb and dual boot w10 and xubuntu on it.
Really interested to know how you make out with xubuntu (or any Linux). So far, I have been unsuccessful with three desktop Linux distros. I boot to the USB ISO, see the character-based installation options for the distro I'm trying, make my selection, and then the screen goes blank.

I bought this as a lightweight computer for travelling. It might help others to know that the power "brick" accepts 110v to 240v. As others have mentioned, the charging cable is ridiculously short.
Last edited by mwmsnow on Dec 28th, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
jensen1 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 7:05 am
did anyone try to backup/restore to factory. I did a windows image backup/restore to external hdd, about 9 min. each way, uses 12 GB space
Maybe start a separate post on mods if needed, please post your thoughts. So far i'm pretty happy
that's smart! do you boot up from the external drive now?
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jun 21, 2008
420 posts
98 upvotes
mississauga
Glancealot wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 11:13 am
No, this is just a crude way of factory reset in case i want to return it, fringe benefit i found later is that every 6 months or so i can restore the image and get rid of any crap accumulated. So far i'm pretty happy with it. Down the line maybe i'll add another ssd
Aug 15, 2010
20 posts
3 upvotes
Update:

I just managed to install an old version of photoshop elements 9 on here without any issue.

It does seem to run out of space often (downloading and extracting files), and I cannot do the windows fall update without a extra USB key or a new drive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
are there cheap ways to get a better charger? Same voltage (V), current (A) and connector shape can be tough to find.
fortissimo wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 9:55 pm
The TDP is 6W and the battery is 34W, you do the math. (Battery Bar also showing it runs at about 5.8W on mine, on average).
SDP is only 4W.
Scenario Design Power (SDP) is an additional thermal reference point meant to represent thermally relevant device usage in real-world environmental scenarios. It balances performance and power requirements across system workloads to represent real-world power usage. Reference product technical documentation for full power specifications. the more I use this machine, the more I am impressed with the power efficiency of intel's newer chips.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jun 6, 2016
21 posts
4 upvotes
“Really interested to know how you make out with xubuntu (or any Linux). So far, I have been unsuccessful with three desktop Linux distros. I boot to the USB ISO, see the character-based installation options for the distro I'm trying, make my selection, and then the screen goes blank.“

I have installed Ubuntu. Make sure you disable secure boot and use a uefi compatible usb install + depending on setup likely have to setup a partition for uefi if you dont want grub installed on the emmc like had (dual boot).

It’s possible that there are other bios options to set, there are alot of options and I have found no manual. I have no way to return to initial state and validate what need to be set but it can be done (also had the blank screen at first).
Jun 21, 2008
420 posts
98 upvotes
mississauga
Glancealot wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 11:13 am
How are you using the msata drive in your new lappy
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2244 posts
1172 upvotes
Parksville, BC
This would go well with a cheap Kingspec M.2 from ebay with the 15% discount.
Dec 21, 2016
81 posts
142 upvotes
Wow thanks OP. Wife needed a simple laptop for work. Solid build quality for $200. After proper optimization it runs really well for her needs.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1270 posts
348 upvotes
Ottawa
dan3103 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:07 pm
How would this compare to a chromebook performance-wise?
I've been looking at this: https://www.staples.ca/en/acer-chromebo ... CA_1_20001

It's the same price and the specs are slightly lower on the chromebook, but I'd assume Chrome OS would run faster than windows 10 at this spec level.
Any ideas on which is a better deal?
The screen on the Staples one isn't FHD
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1759 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm I’m using an 8 year old HP laptop, core2duo with 4gb ram and a 64gb ssd with windows 7. The battery is pooched and I need to use it out of plug range for tuning my car.

Do you think I would notice any significant slow down using this laptop compared to what I have now? It’s signifcantly lighter than the brick I have now and looks pretty good for $200.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2244 posts
1172 upvotes
Parksville, BC
grego9198 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 7:08 pm
Hmm I’m using an 8 year old HP laptop, core2duo with 4gb ram and a 64gb ssd with windows 7. The battery is pooched and I need to use it out of plug range for tuning my car.

Do you think I would notice any significant slow down using this laptop compared to what I have now? It’s signifcantly lighter than the brick I have now and looks pretty good for $200.
Off the cuff guess would be about 50% faster in the new one.
Oct 19, 2009
172 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
pouletdeboeufvege wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 1:55 pm
“Really interested to know how you make out with xubuntu (or any Linux). So far, I have been unsuccessful with three desktop Linux distros. I boot to the USB ISO, see the character-based installation options for the distro I'm trying, make my selection, and then the screen goes blank.“

I have installed Ubuntu. Make sure you disable secure boot and use a uefi compatible usb install + depending on setup likely have to setup a partition for uefi if you dont want grub installed on the emmc like had (dual boot).

It’s possible that there are other bios options to set, there are alot of options and I have found no manual. I have no way to return to initial state and validate what need to be set but it can be done (also had the blank screen at first).
Thanks for the tip. I still had a very hard time until i searched and found out that CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) on the BIOS Advanced menu, needs to be enabled. I'm typing this from Ubuntu in "Try Out" mode launched on my iSmart. This screen is so much better than my Lenovo T420.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
mwmsnow wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 8:23 pm
Thanks for the tip. I still had a very hard time until i searched and found out that CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) on the BIOS Advanced menu, needs to be enabled. I'm typing this from Ubuntu in "Try Out" mode launched on my iSmart. This screen is so much better than my Lenovo T420.
Can you take some pictures/videos/screenshots? i am curious about the performance of linux on this, is it much faster than win 10? how much free space do you have?
Bitcoin will crash hard.