Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Aug 15, 2010
20 posts
3 upvotes
Going from memory here:

Hit the Windows Key
In the search box type "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions"
In the dialog that opens, you will see a section that says Local Disk (C:)
Right click that and a menu should open
Select the extend volume option.
You should be able to resize it now.
Mar 1, 2011
241 posts
438 upvotes
Fraser Valley
bigdukesixer wrote: Thanks to all lots of good info.

Quick questions the WD blue is sold out on CC and $95 @ NE.
So doing an (Amazon FS prime) buy.
But can anyone comment on the Crucial drive slightly slower reads but @ $88 seems ok ?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077SQ ... EEQB&psc=1

thanks.
That will work. You won't notice any difference between the WD and the Crucial SSD.
Apr 2, 2017
251 posts
125 upvotes
Angultra wrote: No that is nvme, you need SATA m.2

Try WD Blue or Crucial MX500 are good options.
Why wouldn't the NVME work, uses the same M2 interface. You'd be stuck at SATA speeds, but it should be compatible.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3065 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
mwmsnow wrote: Thanks for the tip. I still had a very hard time until i searched and found out that CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) on the BIOS Advanced menu, needs to be enabled. I'm typing this from Ubuntu in "Try Out" mode launched on my iSmart. This screen is so much better than my Lenovo T420.
Thanks! I never would have tried CSM. But it does seem to be the key to booting something other than the eMMC's Windows.

CSM is the Compatability Support Module. It is designed to support booting non-UEFI systems. Also called "legacy mode booting". Mainstream Linux distros are happy to live in a 64-bit UEFI environment. So CSM should not be required.

There is something very odd in the firmware that links the CSM setting with booting from other devices and systems.

Another odd thing: there is a UEFI shell. Microsoft requires systems to be shipped without a UEFI shell installed. I think that this is part of the requirements for Secure Boot. And Microsoft requires Secure Boot. Secure Boot seems to be disabled in the firmware setup screen, something that Microsoft would not approve of.

I recently had another notebook that could not boot from a Fedora 29 Live USB flash memory but could boot from a DVD in an external USB DVD drive (the identical image). So I tried booting the iSmart (without enabling CSM) from the DVD. No luck. But the UEFI shell could see the DVD and its contents. I'm pretty sure that the DVD would boot with the CSM enabled but I didn't try since the USB flash memory did work once CSM was enabled.

Many systems' firmware allow you to type F12 (or some other key) during boot-up to select the device to boot from. F12 doesn't seem to do this on the iSmart. Is there another way to do this? It is more cumbersome to go into firmware setup and change the boot order and then have to undo this later.
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hugh wrote: Another odd thing: there is a UEFI shell. Microsoft requires systems to be shipped without a UEFI shell installed. I think that this is part of the requirements for Secure Boot. And Microsoft requires Secure Boot. Secure Boot seems to be disabled in the firmware setup screen, something that Microsoft would not approve of.
Reading this makes me a little nervous... is there an easy way (I'm a dummy - instructions please!) to enable Secure Boot on this system, if it's disabled by default, and generally should be enabled for standard Windows users? Don't like to think there are security issues lurking in the system and I'm leaving the door open for them...

Edit: is it as simple as this? https://fossbytes.com/enable-disable-se ... dows-8-10/
Last edited by kitscha on Dec 30th, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 1, 2011
241 posts
438 upvotes
Fraser Valley
piperdaddy wrote: Why wouldn't the NVME work, uses the same M2 interface. You'd be stuck at SATA speeds, but it should be compatible.
The NVMe spec is backwards compatible with SATA but not the other way around. The iSmart is just SATA.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3065 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
Hank71 wrote: Newegg.ca has the WD Blue 250GB for $70 with free shipping.

You can get the no name brand M.2 2280 Sata 240GB from about $60 on Amazon. I have the 60GB ($32) version of this and its worked flawlessly for over a year that I'll be using in my iSmart that should be delivered on Monday.
Beware: the Dogfish listing has several different formats. When I click on your link, I get the 2242 size M.2 SATA drive. This will fit but the screw to keep the SSD in place only supports the 2280 size.

I have a never-used 2242 M.2 SATA intended for another project. I installed it in the iSmart. Unfortunately neither the firmware nor Linux see it. I need to find out if the computer or the drive is defective. Or perhaps there is yet another mysterious firmware setting.

Note: I earlier reset the firmware settings using: Save & Exit: Restore Defaults.

firmware setup Chipset: South Bridge shows both SATA Port0 and SATA Port1 as Not present.

On the firmware setup screen Chipset: South Cluster Configuration: SATA Drives:
I enabled "Chipset SATA" (this didn't change what is shown in Chipset: South Bridge).
In this screen, "SATA Port 0" shows the name of my M.2 drive as "TS128GMTS400", which seems correct. So something is working.
I tried enabling "SATA Test Mode" but it made no difference.
I tried enabling "Spin Up Device" but it made no difference.
I tried disabling "Mechanical Presence Switch" but it made no difference.

I will try this SSD in another device to see if it is functional. I will try another SSD in the iSmart to see if that works. Neither of these will be convenient.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Oct 19, 2009
209 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh wrote: Beware: the Dogfish listing has several different formats. When I click on your link, I get the 2242 size M.2 SATA drive. This will fit but the screw to keep the SSD in place only supports the 2280 size.

I have a never-used 2242 M.2 SATA intended for another project. I installed it in the iSmart. Unfortunately neither the firmware nor Linux see it. I need to find out if the computer or the drive is defective. Or perhaps there is yet another mysterious firmware setting.

Note: I earlier reset the firmware settings using: Save & Exit: Restore Defaults.

firmware setup Chipset: South Bridge shows both SATA Port0 and SATA Port1 as Not present.

On the firmware setup screen Chipset: South Cluster Configuration: SATA Drives:
I enabled "Chipset SATA" (this didn't change what is shown in Chipset: South Bridge).
In this screen, "SATA Port 0" shows the name of my M.2 drive as "TS128GMTS400", which seems correct. So something is working.
I tried enabling "SATA Test Mode" but it made no difference.
I tried enabling "Spin Up Device" but it made no difference.
I tried disabling "Mechanical Presence Switch" but it made no difference.

I will try this SSD in another device to see if it is functional. I will try another SSD in the iSmart to see if that works. Neither of these will be convenient.

Any suggestions are welcome!
I recall not being able to see the new M.2 drive when I first inserted it. I think I fixed the problem on the Boot page. Hard Drive BBS Priorities had two devices listed (the eMMC and new M.2 drive). I had to move the M.2 drive to first place. I just went back to check, but only the M.2 drive shows up there now.
Jun 21, 2008
530 posts
138 upvotes
mississauga
lorenzo1000 wrote: Can you share how you did this part?
running-out-room-my-c-drive-ssd-2253373/#p30353110

post # 4 by rabbit

i downloaded the partition manager, installed it on the lappy, delete the big partition (on mine it was about 213 gb)
then choose c: then expand then in the dropdown choose the now unallocated space and bingo is your uncle. Hope this is clear
Dec 13, 2018
2 posts
Hi everyone,

I just purchased this laptop and it's running great! Thanks for the amazing post.

I purchased a WD Blue 250GB M.2 2280 SSD and installed it to my laptop with no issues. I downloaded the cloning software and cloned the C drive to the new SSD.

Now I have two drives on my computer - drive C (which is the original 32GB drive included with the laptop that is the bootable Windows 10 drive) and drive D (the cloned drive with over 200GB SSD space).

I'm stuck as to how to make the SSD into a bootable drive now to take advantage of the speed increase. I'm currently in the BIOS menu however I have no idea which options I need to select so that the SSD is the priority boot so that the system boots from there and not the other drive.

Could anyone please help me out? Cheers.Image
Images
  • 20181230_135346_HDR.jpg
Dec 25, 2009
770 posts
169 upvotes
For those who got it already, how is the performance? Any issues with streaming HD video or browsing multiple media heavy sites?
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would this be an upgrade over a 2010 macbook air
Sep 30, 2014
2 posts
Guelph
Performance wise, what would you go for.. this machine or a x250 i5-5300u

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)