Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Jul 5, 2018
135 posts
447 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:26 pm
I personally wouldn't buy the $99 machine though, not only because that it has an even worse CPU. The thickness of that $99 machine is 1.78cm instead of 1.29cm, and it obviously doesn't use as much metal in terms of the physical build. The selling point of these Chinese macbook air knock-offs should be the build and portability. Just look at the picture of the $99 (now $169) machine and you will see that the base is really bulky (it's like the difference between iphone 5C and 5S):

It's a good value for the price. But at the end of the day there's only so much someone will be willing to sacrifice for a deal. Personally I like speed and no latency so I wouldn't be in the market for either. If I could throw Chrome on this one (not neverware) I'd be in on this one just for fun. That being said for the price both are fine deals. Esspecially when the fact a windows license itself can be $100+.

My only concern would be with the brand/company itself which I'd be assuming is unresponsive. That being said it's hard to expect a massive amount of service on a machine at this price range.

Like that one person spent an hour trying to get a price reduction to $89 since apparently $99 is slightly too much in his eyes for that machine... Just blows my mind how entitled some people can be.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3441 upvotes
MyUsernameDoesntMatter wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:38 pm
Like that one person spent an hour trying to get a price reduction to $89 since apparently $99 is slightly too much in his eyes for that machine... Just blows my mind how entitled some people can be.
When I was unemployed and lived in the basement of someone's house, I also argued with rogers customer service reps for, sometimes over an hour, just to get a few bucks off my monthly bill.

It is easy to say "why would you do that?" when you are well-off.

I don't do certain things that I used to do when I was poor and young anymore, but I don't judge other people who do those things.
Last edited by Glancealot on Dec 10th, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6431 posts
2275 upvotes
Toronto
Looks decent but can we stop calling it a "Poor Man's XPS 13?" It looks nothing like one, more like a copy of the 1st gen macbook air.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3441 upvotes
Angultra wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:45 pm
Looks decent but can we stop calling it a "Poor Man's XPS 13?" It looks nothing like one, more like a copy of the 1st gen macbook air.
obviously not the newest gen xps 13 w/ infinity edge. but i would use this laptop over, say, the i3 (or even i5) version of this 4-year old xps 13, in a heartbeat:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Up ... 709.0.html
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
OP Thanks for the feedback on the RAM and SSD upgrade question. Just seeing if this is decent to run VM.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
1882 posts
1040 upvotes
Ottawa
Upvote for the well crafted post.
Sep 16, 2010
527 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
Upvoted for a great detailed review. Would buy this in a heartbeat if I am in a market for an entry-level laptop. Thanks OP!
May 19, 2017
137 posts
99 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 2:01 pm
OP Thanks for the feedback on the RAM and SSD upgrade question. Just seeing if this is decent to run VM.
Depends on the VM. Understand that the CPU is a quad core atom and 4gb of ram max is going to limit most VM use cases that require any amount of compute or intensive memory access. It's roughly 60% as fast as a i5-4210U. I don't quite agree with OP's statement comparing this to the i5 XPS but this is a better deal (price to components) by far.

For email, productivity, youtube, twitch, and very light gaming you aren't going to beat this deal guys. Canada Computers will just refund you if you run into any problems but I wouldn't expect to.
May 19, 2017
137 posts
99 upvotes
Btw the fingerprint reader works well and the dual mics are cortana certified I believe.
May 2, 2008
225 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Was $199 on Black Friday and the whole week after
Penalty Box
Apr 23, 2017
298 posts
184 upvotes
Crappy CPU, little RAM, small SSD. I assume case is plastic.

Looks like an OK price for a low end laptop, nothing special.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24183 posts
4471 upvotes
Celeron N = poor man's XPS? LMAO, don't think so. More like homeless man's XPS :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2621 posts
288 upvotes
very good option for remote access or thin client. The biggest hurdle on low end machines is the resolution when accessing multiple servers.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1020 posts
373 upvotes
Waterloo
Think this will drop in price for boxing week?
Nov 14, 2008
713 posts
229 upvotes
Please take out ‘ xps’ from title and replace with ‘laptop’
V.Misleading
Xps is a gaming machine while this is cheap crap