Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 4:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1318 posts
574 upvotes
Ottawa
Got this yesterday and I like the apparent quality. It's going to be used for very little, so I won't add more storage or put money into it until I see a specific use.

First thing I did was install TeamViewer to make sure it worked. Then I started doing Windows updates. At some point it complained about lack of storage so I removed the games, then TeamViewer, then Office 365, and it was enough to finish the update. Though there are of course more updates to do. I have as couple of questions if anyone's dealt with this.

1. Did I lose anything uninstalling Office 365? I assumed it was a 30-day trial but now I'm worried it was a year or whatever.
2. If I reinstall Office 365 and TeamViewer (and maybe a browser not from Microsoft) any I going to have the same free-space problem? If so, is the only fix to add the M.2 card? I guess I could get a 64 or the smallest available (>32) if I don't need local storage, or go bigger at that point. Uninstalling etc. is just a minor inconvenience at this point but could become more serious in future when the machine's in regular use.

Thanks for any advice!
=aw
Jun 21, 2008
531 posts
139 upvotes
mississauga
xsf wrote: FYI, if you Google Western Digital true image, there's a free software offered by WD. That should work to clone your drive by creating a bootable USB.
i tried that, didn't work for me
Jun 21, 2008
531 posts
139 upvotes
mississauga
aw1883 wrote: Got this yesterday and I like the apparent quality. It's going to be used for very little, so I won't add more storage or put money into it until I see a specific use.

First thing I did was install TeamViewer to make sure it worked. Then I started doing Windows updates. At some point it complained about lack of storage so I removed the games, then TeamViewer, then Office 365, and it was enough to finish the update. Though there are of course more updates to do. I have as couple of questions if anyone's dealt with this.

1. Did I lose anything uninstalling Office 365? I assumed it was a 30-day trial but now I'm worried it was a year or whatever.
2. If I reinstall Office 365 and TeamViewer (and maybe a browser not from Microsoft) any I going to have the same free-space problem? If so, is the only fix to add the M.2 card? I guess I could get a 64 or the smallest available (>32) if I don't need local storage, or go bigger at that point. Uninstalling etc. is just a minor inconvenience at this point but could become more serious in future when the machine's in regular use.

Thanks for any advice!
=aw
In my case i hurriedly bought the wd blue 250 ssd for $69, installed it and got everything running smoothly. Then found out i could have got the blue 500 gb for $90 (a lousy $21 difference, cest la vie)
Jun 21, 2008
531 posts
139 upvotes
mississauga
for the windows gurus out there, a quick question
how do you access the restore partition?
my need is that if i need to do a factory restore. Right now i have a windows image i created after i setup the lappy, but when it was brand new, cortana came up to guide me thru setup. That's what i want. TIA
Jan 27, 2015
325 posts
388 upvotes
King City, ON
bitronic1 wrote: Ez. Just go thru the setup and use the ismart to create the USB drive. Then boot to it to install win 10 fresh on the original drive. Upon first boot after install, go into bios and change boot order to msata, reboot again from usb and install win10 to msata. Done.
Thanks very much for the setup info. I was working yesterday and so couldn’t get back to you with a quick question.

Do I need to do the USB install to the original eMMC first, or, once the USB install drive is created, can I just go ahead and install it on the blank M2 drive?
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
McAngus wrote: Thanks very much for the setup info. I was working yesterday and so couldn’t get back to you with a quick question.

Do I need to do the USB install to the original eMMC first, or, once the USB install drive is created, can I just go ahead and install it on the blank M2 drive?
Of course, if you plan on using the m.2 as ur main/boot drive u can go ahead and change the boot order and install win10 straight onto the m. 2 drive. You may even reformat the emmc afterwards. I actually would recommend EVERYONE to FRESH INSTALL win10 onto the emmc (if not adding m. 2),b/c afterwards u get around 11gb of free space instead of 4 after updating to the latest win version. The only thing u lose is the canada computer hq phone number on the sys property page which is useless anyways but the system is so much faster and there is no more problem with space shortage for further updates. On a side note, I suggest backing up the driver store directory as some1 pointed out but it isn't absolutely necessary since the 2 missing drivers can be d/l ded online.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2130 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouveresque
TaurusJudge wrote: This is a full version of Windows and not Windows S or something right?
Yes, it's Windows 10 Home.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Guys, for those of you who wants to add m. 2, there is no need to clone the drive. The image on the drive is just and older version of windows. If for some reason u need to reinstall, u might as well do a FRESH INSTALL of the latest version of windows anyways. So what's the point of cloning when fresh install is FASTER and EASIER and nets u 3x the free space at the end??? (I checked thru the original partition, there is NOTHING of value that needs backing up.)
Mar 1, 2011
288 posts
561 upvotes
Fraser Valley
I did a fresh install on a 60GB M.2. I've pretty well got everything configured the way I want. For this low-end processor, I suggest that everyone go through the "Master Tutorial to Make Windows 10 Super Fast". After cleaning up old system files, MS apps, I was able to get my OS down to 15GB with Chrome installed. It is super snappy. Just waiting for all the updates to complete to get a better idea of CPU utilization before I unlock the CPU power limit. Very happy with this laptop so far.

The only issue I have now is my fingerprint reader does not work. I've reinstalled the "Goodix Fingerprint SPI Device" and still can't get this to work. Anyone else have the problem and how did you resolve?
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Hank71 wrote: I did a fresh install on a 60GB M.2. I've pretty well got everything configured the way I want. For this low-end processor, I suggest that everyone go through the "Master Tutorial to Make Windows 10 Super Fast". After cleaning up old system files, MS apps, I was able to get my OS down to 15GB with Chrome installed. It is super snappy. Just waiting for all the updates to complete to get a better idea of CPU utilization before I unlock the CPU power limit. Very happy with this laptop so far.

The only issue I have now is my fingerprint reader does not work. I've reinstalled the "Goodix Fingerprint SPI Device" and still can't get this to work. Anyone else have the problem and how did you resolve?
If u backed up the driver store directory from the original install, u can easily browse there to install the drivers back, otherwise, some1 else linked the 2 missing drivers previously.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
jensen1 wrote: for the windows gurus out there, a quick question
how do you access the restore partition?
my need is that if i need to do a factory restore. Right now i have a windows image i created after i setup the lappy, but when it was brand new, cortana came up to guide me thru setup. That's what i want. TIA
Judging from its size, it is likely a recovey partition made by windows. It's only 500mb. You will get the same thing if u fresh install win10 from usb. U can't access it the same way like with an old brand name laptop to recover. But u can use it for resetting windows within windows, or f8 at boot to reset windows.
Mar 1, 2011
288 posts
561 upvotes
Fraser Valley
bitronic1 wrote: If u backed up the driver store directory from the original install, u can easily browse there to install the drivers back, otherwise, some1 else linked the 2 missing drivers previously.
Thanks. Tried that already. I was only showing the fingerprint driver that was missing. I removed and reinstalled one more time and driver says device is okay. Does not allow me to register a fingerprint. System is not complaining of any missing drivers.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Hank71 wrote: Thanks. Tried that already. I was only showing the fingerprint driver that was missing. I removed and reinstalled one more time and driver says device is okay. Does not allow me to register a fingerprint. System is not complaining of any missing drivers.
How is it not allowing u to set fingerprint? No option, or error msg?
May 19, 2013
155 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
bitronic1 wrote: Of course, if you plan on using the m.2 as ur main/boot drive u can go ahead and change the boot order and install win10 straight onto the m. 2 drive. You may even reformat the emmc afterwards. I actually would recommend EVERYONE to FRESH INSTALL win10 onto the emmc (if not adding m. 2),b/c afterwards u get around 11gb of free space instead of 4 after updating to the latest win version. The only thing u lose is the canada computer hq phone number on the sys property page which is useless anyways but the system is so much faster and there is no more problem with space shortage for further updates. On a side note, I suggest backing up the driver store directory as some1 pointed out but it isn't absolutely necessary since the 2 missing drivers can be d/l ded online.
I've Installed windows 10 on the m.2 sata drive and changed the boot order, but for some reason it won't boot directly to the m.2 drive.

I have to pick it directly from the boot override.

Even after I reset the bios to factory default, it continues to do this.

Would you have to have any ideas as to why it is doing this?