Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Nov 7, 2018
110 posts
100 upvotes
Anyone able to disable the hot keys (function keys) on this guy? Don't see anything in the bios.. Quite impressed by the build quality by the way!
Sep 5, 2013
84 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
Hmmmm a fresh install of Windows results in brightness increase/decrease with hotkey no longer working (it goes up and down but brightness doesn't change). What drivers are missing?

Edit: NVM, clearly patience is a virtue lol.

Still what are the 2 drivers mentioned that need manual updating?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3448 posts
2996 upvotes
Markham
Thanks, OP.
Bought this iSmart this evening.
Ordered an 250GB m.2 SSD from Amazon.
I still have not set up the machine yet.

I am a Ubuntu user. I have a Lenovo T420 running Ubuntu with 80GB disk space for more than 3 years without any problem. The rest of a 250GB SSD on the T420 runs Win 7 Pro. I seldom use Win 7 except on very rare occasions. I install Ubuntu on my T420 as dual booting with its native Win 7 Pro OS. Grub allows me to choose Ubuntu as default.

I plan to keep Win 10 on the stock emmc drive and install Ubuntu on the m.2 SSD.

Here are my plan to set it up:
(1) Do a fresh installation of Win 10 on the emmc drive using a USB drive with Win 10 ISO.
(2) Install Ubuntu on the m.2 SSD when I receive it.

Question: I prefer using the booting sequence on BIOS to select m.2 SSD as default to run Ubuntu which is my main use of the machine. When I need Win 10 on a rare occasion, I would manually select the emmc drive to boot up Win 10. Is this feasible? Would Grub allow me to do so?
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
McAngus wrote: It was on the Mac, and it WAS fast, considering I already had the latest Windows 10 ISO on the drive.

Unfortunately, although I have created the USB install drive a couple of times, and tried reformatting it, the installation halts after a couple of minutes on the iSmart with the error "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation."
How was the iso acquired? It happened to me once and turns out it was corrupted. In this case, ur only options would be to re dl iso and try again, or burn the DVD onto a dvdrw disc and install using an external DVD drive.
Jan 27, 2015
298 posts
368 upvotes
King City, ON
bitronic1 wrote: How was the iso acquired? It happened to me once and turns out it was corrupted. In this case, ur only options would be to re dl iso and try again, or burn the DVD onto a dvdrw disc and install using an external DVD drive.
The ISO was acquired directly from Microsoft. I used an earlier ISO from them on the next attempt, and it worked! Just updating drivers now. Thanks for all the help.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
McAngus wrote: The ISO was acquired directly from Microsoft. I used an earlier ISO from them on the next attempt, and it worked! Just updating drivers now. Thanks for all the help.
Nice but that means ull have to do a major ver update and sometimes it may not push thru. U can go to cmd and type in winver, if it shows 1809 that means ur all set. If all things done correctly u should have used up around 18 gb for windows only.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: Thanks, OP.
Bought this iSmart this evening.
Ordered an 250GB m.2 SSD from Amazon.
I still have not set up the machine yet.

I am a Ubuntu user. I have a Lenovo T420 running Ubuntu with 80GB disk space for more than 3 years without any problem. The rest of a 250GB SSD on the T420 runs Win 7 Pro. I seldom use Win 7 except on very rare occasions. I install Ubuntu on my T420 as dual booting with its native Win 7 Pro OS. Grub allows me to choose Ubuntu as default.

I plan to keep Win 10 on the stock emmc drive and install Ubuntu on the m.2 SSD.

Here are my plan to set it up:
(1) Do a fresh installation of Win 10 on the emmc drive using a USB drive with Win 10 ISO.
(2) Install Ubuntu on the m.2 SSD when I receive it.

Question: I prefer using the booting sequence on BIOS to select m.2 SSD as default to run Ubuntu which is my main use of the machine. When I need Win 10 on a rare occasion, I would manually select the emmc drive to boot up Win 10. Is this feasible? Would Grub allow me to do so?
Absolutely, but if ur technical enough u can put grub on the eMMC drive linked to ur Ubuntu m. 2 drive; as some users reported having issues setting the system to straight boot from m. 2
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3448 posts
2996 upvotes
Markham
bitronic1 wrote: Absolutely, but if ur technical enough u can put grub on the eMMC drive linked to ur Ubuntu m. 2 drive; as some users reported having issues setting the system to straight boot from m. 2
If I choose to use BIOS to switch booting device, do I still need Grub?
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: If I choose to use BIOS to switch booting device, do I still need Grub?
Yes, Grub is responsible to boot the kernel.
Jan 7, 2017
70 posts
55 upvotes
excellent write up OP. I was on the fence about buying this thing after reading your post and I'm not even in the market for a laptop. That being said the laptop looks like it'd be excellent as a travel laptop as long as you didn't want to game heavily on it.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1262 posts
439 upvotes
elunesgrace wrote: Hmmmm a fresh install of Windows results in brightness increase/decrease with hotkey no longer working (it goes up and down but brightness doesn't change). What drivers are missing?

Edit: NVM, clearly patience is a virtue lol.

Still what are the 2 drivers mentioned that need manual updating?
What was the issue and fix?
Aug 15, 2012
52 posts
29 upvotes
It's possible increase the TDP limit:

Just tried it and ran it at 10W. CPU temps went to 44 degrees from 36 before. Haven't used it long enough to see if there's much improvement. I mainly use this to browse RFD :)
Sep 5, 2013
84 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
bizzyseller wrote: What was the issue and fix?
Just wait for windows updates to finish after your fresh install. Eventually it will install the missing drivers.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6862 posts
1218 upvotes
Toronto
Is the LCD matte?
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)