Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2087 posts
1578 upvotes
Markham
drdtyc wrote: Download 32-bit or 64-bit version ?
Up to you as both will work, but this laptop supports 64-bit. Normally the big advantage is the 64-bit can use more than 4GB of ram, but this laptop only has 4GB. However, there are other advantages to 64-bit not readily obvious but end of the day, I don’t see any reason to get 32-bit.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3448 posts
2996 upvotes
Markham
HDawg wrote: Up to you as both will work, but this laptop supports 64-bit. Normally the big advantage is the 64-bit can use more than 4GB of ram, but this laptop only has 4GB. However, there are other advantages to 64-bit not readily obvious but end of the day, I don’t see any reason to get 32-bit.
After I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file, what tool do I need to make a bootable USB thumb drive to install Windows on this laptop using the downloaded ISO file?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2004
1691 posts
537 upvotes
Mississauga
crud, think I have a battery issue with mine. A restart drains approx 10% battery, and it occasionally drops by 10% in a matter of a couple minutes. Hope CC exchanges w/out hassle.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all outta gum.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1536 posts
516 upvotes
Winnipeg
drdtyc wrote: After I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file, what tool do I need to make a bootable USB thumb drive to install Windows on this laptop using the downloaded ISO file?
Why did you think the link was titled "Download Windows 10 creation tool"? If you scrolled down on that page an inch you would have seen the button for the tool.
Lorenzo
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1150 posts
443 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Not sure why all the advice to reinstall Windows for the people that are adding an SSD.

Have read on this forum there are some people who have lost some functionality after doing a clean install.

I just replaced, tonight, a laptop HDD with a new SSD and I was done in 10 mins.

I installed Macrium Reflect and made it bootable.

I attached the SSD using the ORICO 2588US3-OR USB 3.0 to 2.5'' SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Yellow that was mentioned here on RFD.

Booted into Macrium Reflect, cloned, shut down, outstall HDD, install SSD. Done. The only time it took was the 10 mins to clone the files.

I had an ASUS with a 32GB drive and it is always tight for space, fresh install or no fresh install.

I presently have a Lenovo 120s 64GB.

The fresh install is not the big thing, the big thing is using Windows Update Cleanup Wizard.

If I had this laptop I would log on to the machine and do a primary setup and some basic installs, Macrium Reflect, VLC, TeraCopy, 7-Zip, etc and then run Windows update and then run Windows Update Cleanup Wizard and remove old installation files and then install M.2, boot to Macrium Reflect, and clone to it.

Spend your time updating Windows and installing your apps, not doing a fresh install of Windows,

In my opinion anyways.

P.S. Also, I am not understanding the hype on this machine since it has a N3450. If it had a N5000, OK (but then it wouldn't be $199, I know).

I have an 8 yr old laptop with an i3-2310M that has a CPU Mark of 2430 vs the N3450 CPU Mark of 1848. So this machine is significantly slower than an 8 yr old Core i3.

My Lenovo 120s is infuriatingly slow, and going forward, I would not go lower than a N5000.

In my opinion anyways.

My gf just got the Vivobook Flip 14 and it is night and day compared to the 120s.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13796 posts
14197 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: you need to help them set it up, it is quite a bit of work. do everything on this page: https://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-t ... uper-fast/

you need to unlock the CPU in bios as well. this guy shows you how to do it here (a similar laptop with almost identical bios)

straight out of the box, it simply feels too slow with the CPU limit, windows 10 being updated to 1803, then 1809 and etc.
So did folks end up buying this version? How did you make out? 27 pages in and I can't be bothered to read the whole thread.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2087 posts
1578 upvotes
Markham
reggielist wrote: Not sure why all the advice to reinstall Windows for the people that are adding an SSD.

<snip>

P.S. Also, I am not understanding the hype on this machine since it has a N3450. If it had a N5000, OK (but then it wouldn't be $199, I know).

<snip>

I have an 8 yr old laptop with an i3-2310M that has a CPU Mark of 2430 vs the N3450 CPU Mark of 1848. So this machine is significantly slower than an 8 yr old Core i3.
I can’t speak for everyone, but I just plan to clone my drive when I get my 500GB. I think some are worried about bloat and spyware, but I just ran it through MalwareBytes and Kaspersky and no issues.

As for the N5000 and $199, well, I think you answered it. This model also has a premium feel to it as it is an all metal body so it doesn’t really look like a $199 device.

As for the last part, I guess it depends on needs. Not sure I would use this as a daily productivity machine as there are other hardware constraints that would affect me, but this blows the SU3500-based netbook I was using out of the water for the same purpose. This is strictly for media and internet consumption and it does the job well.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Feb 9, 2017
19 posts
23 upvotes
>> Next steps for me, would be to try the speed up tutorial and try firefox instead of chrome.
Try Opera instead of firefox (or chrome). Opera is now based on chrome but doesn't hog so much memory.
It's also much faster than firefox.
Sep 5, 2013
84 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
redflagdealsguy wrote: So did folks end up buying this version? How did you make out? 27 pages in and I can't be bothered to read the whole thread.
I don't think it's needed if you unbloat it. It's quite fast now and I figure why lose battery life and increase heat?

Hope that helps!
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
reggielist wrote: Not sure why all the advice to reinstall Windows for the people that are adding an SSD.

Have read on this forum there are some people who have lost some functionality after doing a clean install.

I just replaced, tonight, a laptop HDD with a new SSD and I was done in 10 mins.

I installed Macrium Reflect and made it bootable.

I attached the SSD using the ORICO 2588US3-OR USB 3.0 to 2.5'' SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Yellow that was mentioned here on RFD.

Booted into Macrium Reflect, cloned, shut down, outstall HDD, install SSD. Done. The only time it took was the 10 mins to clone the files.

I had an ASUS with a 32GB drive and it is always tight for space, fresh install or no fresh install.

I presently have a Lenovo 120s 64GB.

The fresh install is not the big thing, the big thing is using Windows Update Cleanup Wizard.

If I had this laptop I would log on to the machine and do a primary setup and some basic installs, Macrium Reflect, VLC, TeraCopy, 7-Zip, etc and then run Windows update and then run Windows Update Cleanup Wizard and remove old installation files and then install M.2, boot to Macrium Reflect, and clone to it.

Spend your time updating Windows and installing your apps, not doing a fresh install of Windows,

In my opinion anyways.

My Lenovo 120s is infuriatingly slow, and going forward, I would not go lower than a N5000.

In my opinion anyways.

My gf just got the Vivobook Flip 14 and it is night and day compared to the 120s.
It is not absolutely necessary to fresh install if u add ssd, but if u dun, ull have to upgrade windows, it takes longer to upgrade it from 1709 to 1803, then 1803 to 1809 (depending on connection speed). Fresh install even on the slow ssd only takes about 20 mins, plus or minus 10 mins for updates and ur done done. Ppl have lost functionality bc they did not back up the driver store folder which had the 2 missing driver. If ur only adding ssd. U might as well just fresh install on it and find the drivers on the eMMC. Note: if u fresh install on emmc, the system is much more responsive and u get 11gb free instead of 4 after 1 update and all clean up. Not a big deal if u have m. 2 but it's still substantial. The hype of this machine is its portability and looks like a MacBook air. I personally am still skeptical since my first one had a dim 1/4 left screen after 1 day of use, so it's hard to predict when it will decide to quit.
Apr 11, 2009
225 posts
5 upvotes
Can this run MS Office? I usually do a bunch of work in Excel and hope it works well.

Edit: Can this at least handle light photo editing via Lightroom or InDesign work?
Oct 17, 2013
251 posts
126 upvotes
I bought this computer at $229.99 only to see it go on sale for $199.99.... I had a very difficult time getting ahold of Canada Computers but they agreed to price protection and refund me the difference... I still haven't receive the refund but it appears they will do it.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3448 posts
2996 upvotes
Markham
lorenzo1000 wrote: Why did you think the link was titled "Download Windows 10 creation tool"? If you scrolled down on that page an inch you would have seen the button for the tool.
I am using Ubuntu to access the URL. The download button gives me an ISO file. No other tool to download.
Jun 21, 2008
530 posts
138 upvotes
mississauga
Thank you all, figured how to restore to factory. Go into settings,recovery and reset computer. After it does its thing all settings are reset

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)