Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 6, 2007
1150 posts
443 upvotes
Montreal, QC
HDawg wrote:

As for the N5000 and $199, well, I think you answered it. This model also has a premium feel to it as it is an all metal body so it doesn’t really look like a $199 device.
I know EXACTLY what you mean, and exactly the dilemma!

I am typing this on my silver coloured IdeaPad 120s, which is the most attractive laptop I have ever owned.

And...

I paid $185 for it.

And...

it has an eMMC.

And...

it has a N3350 Processor.

And...

it is so slow it is unusable for anything but what I bought it/use it for, throwing it in my backpack and going to Starbucks to download stuff and putting it on my bedside table to watch a few shows with VLC player using my wireless headphones (video stutters when using Netflix, Prime and even YouTube, so I only use downloaded shows with VLC).
Member
User avatar
Feb 27, 2003
480 posts
176 upvotes
Langley
Has anyone tried to remove (chemically or otherwise;) the ismart logo? How'd that go?

Edit: or I'll go the sticker route;)
Images
  • IMG_20190103_182950.jpg
Last edited by xphile on Jan 3rd, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2015
634 posts
477 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lorenzo1000 wrote: So quick question regarding booting to the new m.2 ssd I've installed and loaded windows 10 on.
How do I get the pc to only boot from the ssd? Always asks to boot from either drive 2 (ssd) or drive 5 which is the built in drive.
Click 'start' and type 'msconfig', run the app found named 'system configuration', go to the 'boot' tab, and select your default and delete the one you don't want.
Jr. Member
Dec 12, 2018
112 posts
115 upvotes
My review for this computer. Special thanks to the OP, Glancealot, for finding this deal.

Pros:
- Good build quality, feels very sturdy and MBA-esque in overall look and hinge.
- Good price.
- M.2 slot.
- Fanless therefore silent and FHD screen (1080).
- Decent size and weighs less than breakfast and lunch (or just lunch if you eat a lot?).
- Exceptional battery life (even after unlocking processor)
- Decent trackpad IMO.

Cons:
- Screen will freeze for half a second when you exit full screen video.
- Slow to load menus sometimes.
- It would not kill them to make the power cord a bit longer.

Tips:
- I am not sure if this is for all laptops, but one tap with two fingers on the trackpad is RMB. Single tap is LMB.
- Follow the guide on the first page to speed this thing up. There is a noticeable difference if you are running more programs.
- BUY M.2 SATA ONLY, NOT NVME
- Install 64bit W10 (that is what the computer originally came with).
- Remember this is not an i5-8250U or i5-8265U, but it's not priced like one either.

My experience with it so far:

I bought this computer for $199.00 @ CC and also purchased the WD Blue M.2 SATA. Booted this up and tested it with the eMMC first (this is straight out of the box). With multiple Chrome tabs running and Microsoft Excel, it gets a bit warm and slow.

Installation of the M.2 straight forward. It does take a bit of moving around to get the M.2 into the slot but fits correctly with the included screw. Completed a fresh installation from USB key made with link found in post #331 (lorenzo1000) of this thread. I went into the BIOS thing and changed the boot order to USB to install W10H. After installation, you boot from Drive 2 (which is the SSD). The eMMC is Drive 5. It takes a bit of time to load and then I had to set up Windows.

Completed the optimization and unlocked CPU explained in post #1 and post #4 (both by OP). This thing powers from off to login screen in approximately 10 seconds. You can remove the screen where it asks you to boot from Drive 2 or Drive 5 by following instructions on post #423 (warmdeals). For those who have a USB key which is over 32 GB and cannot reformat it property after using it to install windows, you can allocate all the space on the USB using Window's Disk Management.

I am currently using it for Excel with YouTube casting in the background. With extra Chrome tabs open, it gets warm but is not slow by any means.

All-in-all, I would rate this purchase at a 9/10. For reference, I rated Avengers Infinity War at 8/10 ... so go figure. If you hated the movie, I'm sorry but you are probably going to hate this computer too.

Edit: One tap on track pad with two fingers is RMB, not double tap.
Last edited by atyy0132 on Jan 4th, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1535 posts
516 upvotes
Winnipeg
warmdeals wrote: Click 'start' and type 'msconfig', run the app found named 'system configuration', go to the 'boot' tab, and select your default and delete the one you don't want.
Thanks for this!
Lorenzo
Sr. Member
Dec 25, 2009
770 posts
169 upvotes
Hi team

Finally received mine. So I need some help. How do I install fresh windows, onto the m2 drive and delete any existing windows install on drive 5? I would like to boot m2 by default. I don't even want to bother with the stock drive.

Tia
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1535 posts
516 upvotes
Winnipeg
wadokai wrote: Hi team

Finally received mine. So I need some help. How do I install fresh windows, onto the m2 drive and delete any existing windows install on drive 5? I would like to boot m2 by default. I don't even want to bother with the stock drive.

Tia
You could try reading post 424 which is only 2 posts above your post. Winking Face Gives a lot of good information.
Lorenzo
Jr. Member
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rogermobile wrote: Can anyone with this running on Windows 10 let me know what is the behaviour when battery is charged to 100% and still plugged in? On my Lenovo it would say 100%, and stop charging or indicate not being charged. However with the iSmart, it's showing 100%, plugged in, charging. I did do a battery calibration (ran the laptop until it shut down on its own and charged it back up), but still showing plugged in, charging.
While it's plugged in and charging, mine shows the plugged in/charging icon and the hover menu tells me how many minutes till full charge. Once it hits 99% it keeps the same icon and says "99% available, plugged in, charging". I guess that counts as full? I haven't actually seen it say 100% on the task bar (though it says 100% in 'battery' under settings while it says 99% in the task bar). I'm running Windows 10. Hope this helps.
Member
Jan 29, 2005
214 posts
155 upvotes
Chestermere, AB
Not many people talking about the screen. Maybe my standards are low but viewing angles are fine. Youtube @ 1080p looks great. Even 720p videos look good. MKV videos runs fine. Color/Clarity/Brightness are all thumbs up for me. Screen size is just right @ 13.3". No dead pixels for my unit but brother-in-law did receive a unit with one. The only thing that stands out is the light bleed on the edges which doesn't bother me so much. I also found the speakers on the laptop were good as well.

If you buy this laptop with low expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprise.

Thanks OP
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2008
529 posts
138 upvotes
mississauga
domacheap wrote: Not many people talking about the screen. Maybe my standards are low but viewing angles are fine. Youtube @ 1080p looks great. Even 720p videos look good. MKV videos runs fine. Color/Clarity/Brightness are all thumbs up for me. Screen size is just right @ 13.3". No dead pixels for my unit but brother-in-law did receive a unit with one. The only thing that stands out is the light bleed on the edges which doesn't bother me so much. I also found the speakers on the laptop were good as well.

If you buy this laptop with low expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprise.

Thanks OP
Agree 100%
Newbie
Dec 14, 2006
31 posts
22 upvotes
firehawk12 wrote: Shit, mine has a stuck pixel. Do these have a chance of fixing themselves? I don't know if I care enough to try to change it on the off chance a new one might be fine.

That said, the metal body is surprisingly great. I think it feels more premium than the Dell G3 I bought.
I honestly think that most of these panels all suffer either dead pixels or stuck pixels or some other defect, since they won’t be using grade A panels for this price and you are talking 1920x1080. Two of the units I have had my hands on have stuck pixels. Though I would rather get a dead pixel than a bright one.
Newbie
Dec 14, 2006
31 posts
22 upvotes
xphile wrote: Has anyone tried to remove (chemically or otherwise;) the ismart logo? How'd that go?

Edit: or I'll go the sticker route;)
I installed a vinyl skin on mine.
Images
  • 38DA8188-8094-4C70-A5CD-994CDF7FB4FB.png
Newbie
Apr 15, 2017
89 posts
88 upvotes
I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very good MacBook Air clone and the price is ridiculously good.
  • The screen is great, being IPS although it has some backlight bleeding and mine came with a dead pixel.
  • Not too shabby performance wise, it feels almost as snappy as my i5-7200U Dell laptop with SSD, except this one is noiseless, it doesn't get warm, the Dell one in comparison does and also has a very loud fan.
  • The keyboard is alright, though I wish it was backlit.
  • The fingerprint reader is a nice surprise.
  • The M2 port is awesome for a nice upgrade in the future.
Overall, it gets a 9.5/10 from me considering its price point. Sadly the fingerprint reader doesn't work with Windows 10 10240 (RTM) which obviously is the least bloated version, so I had to install 10586 (Anniversary) instead. And I wish it had a touch screen, which for me is almost a must these days.
Sr. Member
Jul 30, 2007
977 posts
332 upvotes
BC
-OY- wrote: I installed a vinyl skin on mine.
Whoa, did you cut it yourself or does another laptop's skin fit this one?
Newbie
Sep 4, 2016
88 posts
45 upvotes
Montreal
reggielist wrote: I know EXACTLY what you mean, and exactly the dilemma!

I am typing this on my silver coloured IdeaPad 120s, which is the most attractive laptop I have ever owned.

And...

I paid $185 for it.

And...

it has an eMMC.

And...

it has a N3350 Processor.

And...

it is so slow it is unusable for anything but what I bought it/use it for, throwing it in my backpack and going to Starbucks to download stuff and putting it on my bedside table to watch a few shows with VLC player using my wireless headphones (video stutters when using Netflix, Prime and even YouTube, so I only use downloaded shows with VLC).
Slap on Q4OS and you will have a speedy laptop. Night and day compared to Windows.
I am a Fizz, Public Mobile and Rogers customer and an avid Linux user

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)