Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Jul 16, 2015
294 posts
107 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Excellent and thorough review. Thx for the work put in. I still disagree with windows 10 being that much better but that's a debate for someone else. Cheers.
Mar 26, 2008
349 posts
92 upvotes
impruv wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 11:50 am
Would this be perfect for the parents who watch youtube, do excel/word, and browse the internet?
screen size may be an issue. this is a 'smallish' 13.3 screen. have your parents go to a store and test out laptops with various screen sizes to see what they would be comfortable with. for me, 13.3 would be too small and would be more for portability (bringing to coffee shops, school, etc.). if they only use at home, 17 would be ideal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3486 upvotes
lostintransit wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 7:43 am
Xps is a gaming machine while this is cheap crap
gaming? no, XPS is a business ultrabook, portability, good battery life and infinite edge are the big selling points. you don't game with Intel® UHD Graphics 620:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-UHD-Graphics-620-GPU-Review-Benchmarks-and-Specs.239936.0.html wrote:In our tests, the UHD 620 is most suited for casual games like Team Fortress 2, Rocket League or Farming Simulator 17.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1489 upvotes
Montreal
Glancealot wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 10:43 am
gaming? no, XPS is a business ultrabook, portability, good battery life and infinite edge are the big selling points. you don't game with Intel® UHD Graphics 620:

Uhhh the xps I just looked at has a 1050ti. Aka gaming laptop.

Calling this a poor mans xps is like saying a Chev Malibu is a poor mans Bugatti.

This is a great budget laptop. Let's leave it at that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3486 upvotes
MrEmoji wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 10:50 am
Uhhh the xps I just looked at has a 1050ti. Aka gaming laptop.
Given that this laptop is 13.3, I am being very specific in my title with the wording "the poorman's XPS 13", I don't think xps 13 comes with dedicated GPU, please correct me if I am mistaken, thanks in advance.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
May 29, 2018
16 posts
41 upvotes
Guys... The XPS series is pretty much all-encompassing at this point. They also have it in the business series, which is what this guy is talking about.

Point is, as has been stated, you aren't buying this for a powerhouse. You're buying this because the build quality (full metal construction), and price. Not everyone needs, or even wants, a high-end powerhouse of a laptop. I think this would be best not as a full desktop replacement, or even a workhorse; it's to tote around to classes to take notes, or as something you can bring along on trips without being overly concerned about it being busted. With everything being able to be backed up to online storage, having a bunch of different machines isn't as clunky as it was before. I have to admit I'm debating getting this myself, just to have as a travel companion.

Glancealot you're not mistaken, some people just either are uninformed about how wide the XPS series has spread (they were originally gaming computers, if I recall correctly), or refuse to take the 10 seconds on google to find out. I googled XPS 13 and it was like the 3rd link.
Last edited by dholmes010 on Dec 11th, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3273 posts
1892 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Lol so many butthurt Dell fanboys raising pitchforks over this laptop being compared to their beloved notebook.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1489 upvotes
Montreal
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 11:11 am
Lol so many butthurt Dell fanboys raising pitchforks over this laptop being compared to their beloved notebook.
No. I think it has more to do with the improper comparison which those who are uninformed in these areas will be confused about. Computers are already pretty confusing with so many options. Let's not muddy the waters even more.
May 19, 2017
143 posts
101 upvotes
zinger9 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:59 pm
Crappy CPU, little RAM, small SSD. I assume case is plastic.

Looks like an OK price for a low end laptop, nothing special.
It's a good price for these specs (other than eMMC) and no it has aluminum macbook air case.
PressureBoom wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 7:09 am
Think this will drop in price for boxing week?
Was $199 before so maybe
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24382 posts
4651 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 10:56 am
Given that this laptop is 13.3, I am being very specific in my title with the wording "the poorman's XPS 13", I don't think xps 13 comes with dedicated GPU, please correct me if I am mistaken, thanks in advance.
The XPS 13 is traditionally NOT a gaming laptop, you are correct. There may now be ones with a dGPU (I haven't looked into the latest ones) but that's still besides the point. The XPS series, whether from 5 years ago or today, will have a real CPU, not an Atom.

This is a Celeron N, full stop. That's enough to tell anyone that knows anything about computational power that this is nothing like an XPS or any laptop that has a Core M, i3, i5 or i7 CPU, even an "older" DC one. The only thing it could really offer over any even semi-recent XPS is battery life...possibly. That's about it. Perhaps if you're comparing it to an older XPS, the other nice thing would be the HEVC support...if you even care about that. The alum body may be "something" but it only serves as the can to the rest of the spray cheese here LOL. The "SSD" is eMMC which is pretty much like getting a top-end SD card shoving it in a laptop and then using it as an "SSD". There's absolutely nothing here that really compares it to an XPS and even unlike most tablet-like devices I don't think this thing even has a touchscreen, does it?

And tablet-like is a key phrase here, because this is basically only as fast as one of those...or a Chromebook. There's honestly nothing special here and even at the $200 price, it's only worth about that $200. There's a reason Celeron/Pentium N/J "laptops" are cheap and it ain't because they are some kind of little-known secret that's rivaling XPS, etc. laptops for a fraction of the price. That's not what we have here. What we have is an off-brand, Atom-based laptop, that's basically a larger version of what they used to call Netbooks, that happens to have an aluminum body and sells for as low as $200.
Aug 31, 2007
449 posts
83 upvotes
2018... Almost 2019 and using 4gb of ram?

I can picture my window shattered with a laptop shaped hole already.
Feb 6, 2013
443 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
If it was $200 before, I cannot pay $250 now (#・∀・)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
6915 posts
1566 upvotes
Does 1080p YouTube run fine on this. Tia
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Nov 14, 2008
718 posts
232 upvotes
the title is misleading , some 'poor man' is going to go out and waste their money on this netbook based on the ops title , hopefully they read the comments :)
we build our own desktop here...
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 11:11 am
Dec 10, 2018
5 posts
Just picked "one" (read: three tries) of these up from my local Canada Computers. Pretty great deal. My wife needed something small/light to replace a failing Asus T100TA so this was a perfect fit. Pretty sure I've still got a couple 'Apple' stickers kicking around to complete the look. lol

Third try's a charm. lol. First two units had stuck pixels near the center of the screen (great QC...). Thankfully they let me exchange them, and the second time we fired up the system to check for pixels before they rung it up.

Going to try fresh installing Windows 10 on a M.2 SATA drive tomorrow (accidentally bought a M.2 'M' drive instead of 'B'). Will report with results.