Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2863 posts
2196 upvotes
Markham
amputato wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 9:17 am
this targus hard case is a deal.. . its just a bit too big but if you leave some padding at the bottom would be perfect. the inside walls have bubble padding like the tomtoc sleeves
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=114895
Has anyone any idea about how to add padding to this Targus hard case as it is indeed a bit too big?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1841 posts
1033 upvotes
Calgary
Does this laptop have an ethernet port? Could someone check what chipset it uses (in device manager). Wondering if it will make for a good home router (the CPU support AES-NI so OpenVPN will work well). If the network chipset is Intel then it should have good VLAN and Linux support
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2863 posts
2196 upvotes
Markham
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 1:10 am
Does this laptop have an ethernet port? Could someone check what chipset it uses (in device manager). Wondering if it will make for a good home router (the CPU support AES-NI so OpenVPN will work well). If the network chipset is Intel then it should have good VLAN and Linux support
There is no ethernet port on this laptop.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3208 posts
3405 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 1:10 am
it is too thin for ethernet. ethernet is 17mm tall but this laptop is only 12.9mm thin.

Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1841 posts
1033 upvotes
Calgary
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 6:50 pm
it is too thin for ethernet. ethernet is 17mm tall but this laptop is only 12.9mm thin.

Ah thank you. That's too bad. Note that a lot of ultrabooks include collapsable ethernet ports:

Jan 22, 2007
17 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
Anyone knows how to make the default behavior of function keys as F key instead of “multimedia keys”? I am a keyboard person so can’t close window with ALT-F4 is driving me nuts.

On a clean win10 install.
May 16, 2003
146 posts
17 upvotes
if i remember correctly it had a gap at the top/bottom, pretty ghetto but i was thinking just roll up some bubble wrap and line the bottom of the case with enough to fill the gap

amputato wrote: ↑this targus hard case is a deal.. . its just a bit too big but if you leave some padding at the bottom would be perfect. the inside walls have bubble padding like the tomtoc sleeves
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=114895
Has anyone any idea about how to add padding to this Targus hard case as it is indeed a bit too big?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3208 posts
3405 upvotes
smartpat wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 3:45 pm
Anyone knows how to make the default behavior of function keys as F key instead of “multimedia keys”? I am a keyboard person so can’t close window with ALT-F4 is driving me nuts.

On a clean win10 install.
Try bios?
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jan 22, 2007
17 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 1:21 am
Try bios?
Already went thru the BIOS screens a few times but couldn’t find anything. I could have missed it though.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2953 posts
302 upvotes
Brampton
I decided to pick one up today at the $250 price, I just wanted something for travelling and light use.
The Asus was nice with the i5 cpu but out of stock and $600.
I also have the crucial 512gb SSD I will be installing.
What is the best/easiest/free software to use to copy the original windows install over to the SSD? Acronis isnt free is it?
edit NVM: looks like acronis is included with the crucial ssd
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2953 posts
302 upvotes
Brampton
Hmm, tried Macrium to clone and it worked fine, but then I tried to extend the main partition using windows disk management, and I couldnt. Im guessing because the unallocated space needs to be adjacent? The restore partition is between them as on the original drive.
Acronis worked much better, doing the resizing itself, and all seems good now.
Jun 21, 2008
419 posts
98 upvotes
mississauga
Anyone tried putting microsd card, what's the max size. TIA
Jun 18, 2008
561 posts
69 upvotes
Montreal
jensen1 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 2:10 pm
Anyone tried putting microsd card, what's the max size. TIA
My 128Gb from the walmart $15 deal seems to work fine.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2953 posts
302 upvotes
Brampton
I seem to have a weird issue with mine that only happens occasionally.. Anyone else get this?
Sometimes I will press a key, but it will perform a Windows shortcut as if I am holding the Windows key. For example I was scrolling down this forum using the down arrow key, and the window minimized. Or typing the h key brings up Windows help.
When it does happen, it continues until I actually press the Windows key.
Is there some kind of accessibility feature that locks the Windows key on to use shortcuts?
I'm thinking if it was a hardware keyboard issue the Windows menu would pop up by itself, and wouldn't result in the latching behaviour.
Jan 14, 2013
416 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all,
I've done a good job at following the instructions in here and turning this lounge laptop into a lounge+ laptop!
I am having a problem hopefully can be solved by one of you smart folks. I've got my SSD installed and working now with Windows 10, but whenever I boot my laptop, I always have to select what drive I want to use to boot.
So I went into the boot menu and Option 1 is Boot Manager, and Option 2 is the default 32GB hard drive. When I try and select my new SSD as option #1, it's not a selectable option. How do I get the computer to recognize the SSD so I can have it automatically set as my default boot drive.