• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 10:05 am
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2014
430 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Looking to setup a cheap NAS system for file backup and some streaming.
Would the QNAP TS-231P Network Attached Storage 2-Bay NAS for $169.99 be good?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6434 posts
5853 upvotes
Calgary
So, I emailed Canada Computers and asked what time their black friday sale starts online. I got this reply. Is this serious?
"I hope you're doing well. To set proper expectation our Black Friday sale is for in-store purchases only.
All retail locations except St. Catharines and North York locations will be open from 8am – 7pm. St. Catharines and North York locations will follow the mall hours. I hope this helps. Enjoy the holiday season! Thank you for choosing Canada Computers."
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3793 posts
2430 upvotes
Ontario
steez03 wrote: Looking to setup a cheap NAS system for file backup and some streaming.
Ram/CPU too low I don't think that make even a stable 720P box, but maybe someone else who has tried would know.

https://i.imgur.com/IWVUump.png

Nice list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1274624273
---
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3793 posts
2430 upvotes
Ontario
SammyDavis wrote: So, I emailed Canada Computers and asked what time their black friday sale starts online. I got this reply. Is this serious?
"I hope you're doing well. To set proper expectation our Black Friday sale is for in-store purchases only.
All retail locations except St. Catharines and North York locations will be open from 8am – 7pm. St. Catharines and North York locations will follow the mall hours. I hope this helps. Enjoy the holiday season! Thank you for choosing Canada Computers."

So it should be 25 downvotes 0 upvotes lol
---
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6434 posts
5853 upvotes
Calgary
kanechart wrote: So it should be 25 downvotes 0 upvotes lol
So I phoned them too, they said their website will be down this friday and saturday. What a joke. Example #1344 why Canada is a failing economy.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1330 posts
1679 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
SammyDavis wrote: So, I emailed Canada Computers and asked what time their black friday sale starts online. I got this reply. Is this serious?
Wut.

Surely they know how stupid that is lol. Unless they mean you can order online and pick up in store...I hope?
SammyDavis wrote: So I phoned them too, they said their website will be down this friday and saturday. What a joke. Example #1344 why Canada is a failing economy.
OMEGA WUT.

Well, time to pray to The Jeff and hope he matches these prices.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2142 posts
1209 upvotes
Calgary
Looks like there's definitely some confusion. Either retail reps are telling people the wrong thing, or their social media team is in the dark.
Images
  • Screenshot_20191126-090506_Facebook.jpg
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28013 posts
8451 upvotes
For those complaining about CC's sale not being online, keep in mind CC's online has always been crap and this is commonly true of most businesses whose main focus is B&M. Vice versa also applies (hence why NCIX failed badly once they started opening up physical stores).

Walmart for example, their online shopping is also terrible. I ordered something recently and then realised that when you order for ISPU they're not actually just "taking one off the shelf" and letting you have that one, they're actually shipping the item to the store then you pick it up...even if the store already has stock of that item. So anyway they sent me a couple emails saying order delayed due to being OOS and they will auto-cancel if it's not available within 3 days. Uh okay so then I end up just going to a Walmart store on Friday, and buying the in-stock item in person. Even though my online order said it would auto-cancel, I also went and manually clicked on the cancel so they wouldn't ship and then return my money. So says cancellation processing so I guess I wait for another email for the refund, right? Well guess what? Today, yet another day later I get an email--my order has shipped! :facepalm: WTAF?!? First they tell me it's OOS, may not be able to get from supplier and auto-cancel will soon occur. So then I cancel...another day later they have shipped the order--how!?! Because they're primarily a B&M business, that's how.

Anyway moral of the story is don't expect stores like CC, Walmart, to have an online system anything even remotely close to NewEgg or Amazon. On the flip side, don't expect great and successful B&M stores from major online-only places either.
Jul 11, 2004
256 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
As ES_revenge said, CC online is a total disaster. The three orders I've done in the past years were all 'broken' in one way or another. Customer service was a total joke as well. Nothing about them shutting down the site for Friday, or the confusion around it surprises me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6434 posts
5853 upvotes
Calgary
ES_Revenge wrote: For those complaining about CC's sale not being online, keep in mind CC's online has always been crap and this is commonly true of most businesses whose main focus is B&M. Vice versa also applies (hence why NCIX failed badly once they started opening up physical stores).

Walmart for example, their online shopping is also terrible. I ordered something recently and then realised that when you order for ISPU they're not actually just "taking one off the shelf" and letting you have that one, they're actually shipping the item to the store then you pick it up...even if the store already has stock of that item. So anyway they sent me a couple emails saying order delayed due to being OOS and they will auto-cancel if it's not available within 3 days. Uh okay so then I end up just going to a Walmart store on Friday, and buying the in-stock item in person. Even though my online order said it would auto-cancel, I also went and manually clicked on the cancel so they wouldn't ship and then return my money. So says cancellation processing so I guess I wait for another email for the refund, right? Well guess what? Today, yet another day later I get an email--my order has shipped! :facepalm: WTAF?!? First they tell me it's OOS, may not be able to get from supplier and auto-cancel will soon occur. So then I cancel...another day later they have shipped the order--how!?! Because they're primarily a B&M business, that's how.

Anyway moral of the story is don't expect stores like CC, Walmart, to have an online system anything even remotely close to NewEgg or Amazon. On the flip side, don't expect great and successful B&M stores from major online-only places either.
Closing your online store down in 2019 on the busiest day of the year is asinine and will eventually be the end of this company.
Last edited by SammyDavis on Nov 26th, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6434 posts
5853 upvotes
Calgary
I'm sorry if this is not the response you're expecting to get. But no worries, this is gonna be for 2 days only (November 29 and December 26, 2019) where in the online option will be disabled.

Black Friday (November 29, 2019):
 All retail locations except St. Catharines and North York locations will be open from 8am – 7pm
 St. Catharines and North York locations will follow the mall hours.

Boxing Day (December 26, 2019):
All retail locations except for Quebec, St. Catharines, North York and Halifax locations will be open from 8am – 7pm
 Quebec locations will be open from 1pm – 8pm
 St. Catharines and North York locations will follow the Mall hours
 Halifax will be closed

The option online will be back to normal after the dates mentioned above. We highly recommend our customers to go to our local store for our Black Friday & Boxing Day Sale. I hope this helps. Enjoy the Holiday season! Thank you for choosing Canada Computers.

- Rona
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2656 posts
853 upvotes
Chatham
I'm shocked at this news. wow
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2142 posts
1209 upvotes
Calgary
Ridiculous!

Also totally false advertising on their Facebook page saying to visit them online and in-store Friday.

Hoping Memory Express has some good deals - but will have to wait until Thursday @ 10pm MST to find out.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3403 posts
1066 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote: I am thinking of building a new gaming rig:

3800X - $449
Asus TUF X570 - $224
Corsair Vengance RGB Pro RAM - $99
RTX 2060 - $369

This would be my first AMD build since forever. I might look for some better RAM during BF. Don't care for RGB lighting.
Would I be better off looking at an Intel build for gaming?
CPU is overkill for that GPU unless you're planning to upgrade in a few years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6434 posts
5853 upvotes
Calgary
Devhux wrote: Ridiculous!

Also totally false advertising on their Facebook page saying to visit them online and in-store Friday.

Hoping Memory Express has some good deals - but will have to wait until Thursday @ 10pm MST to find out.
Hopefully memory express doesn’t hear this and shut theirs down too. This will affect prices too as they know they have a captive audience. Borderline collusion if they all start doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1291 posts
536 upvotes
steez03 wrote: Looking to setup a cheap NAS system for file backup and some streaming.
For file backup it'll be good. It should be find for streaming as long as there is no transcoding. If you need to transcode, then look to a better unit.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
155 posts
111 upvotes
I am so tempted. I have a ITX case, a SSD (512GB), a PSU, and a GTX 1050 (LP) sitting under my bed.
All I need is the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. And maybe paying for that Windows 10.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2292 posts
781 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: I need a new laptop for my daughter in University. Can one of the more knowledgeable people here help me out as I have no idea what is good bad or decent for her needs.

I was considering one of these two. She's going to be in University for the next 5 years becoming a teacher, She's not into gaming at all and I don't believe she's doing any heavy graphics or designing with her course load.

Will either of these be adequate? Thanks!

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=150961

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=148903
There are a lot of good laptops out there with different features and looks. For example, weight might matter for carrying around, and one laptop could be 30% less weight, and that might matter more than any other feature to some people. I recommend having her pick out her own laptop, or she or you can post the specifications needed on a forum like this. Otherwise you're basically choosing randomly. All that disclaimer out of the way, the Asus Vivobook laptops are excellent quality and value. You can get a very light one without integrated graphics and for less money and it will still have the convenient numpad. There are a million options though, try googling for notebookcheck (they have a powerful search engine that let's you sort by features) and pcmag etc.