Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] Canon PIXMA G1200 MegaTank Printer with extra Black Ink - $169.99 ($130 off)

[OP]
Jul 13, 2018
77 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa

[Canada Computers] Canon PIXMA G1200 MegaTank Printer with extra Black Ink - $169.99 ($130 off)

I am after a new printer, and as we all know, the price of replacement cartridges are often more expensive than the cost of the printer itself. Whilst this is not the cheapest printer, it's the lowest price i found for a supertank printer and should mean lower running costs during the lifetime.
18 replies
Oct 15, 2018
121 posts
173 upvotes
Seems a good printer but no WiFi means no sales for me. I'm presently looking for a new printer also but for me, WiFi is a must. I had this feature on my Canon MG5320 that is 9 years old so for a printer today to not come with this is mind boggling.
Feb 2, 2006
486 posts
322 upvotes
Not just wifi.. It doesn't have any networking whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4749 posts
121 upvotes
Oakville
If it’s hooked up to a PC, it cannot be found on a network?
Feb 15, 2017
209 posts
66 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote: If it’s hooked up to a PC, it cannot be found on a network?
It could, but the PC has to be set up to share the printer and the PC has to be turned on to print through it, of course.
One possible remedy is to buy a stand alone print server, cost about $35 for a wired one or more than $100 for wireless.
Or buy a printer with a built it network print server and then buy a Continuous Ink System for it, if you don't want to keep buying cartridges.
Mar 4, 2008
230 posts
406 upvotes
Leyogi wrote: Seems a good printer but no WiFi means no sales for me. I'm presently looking for a new printer also but for me, WiFi is a must. I had this feature on my Canon MG5320 that is 9 years old so for a printer today to not come with this is mind boggling.
So true. I'd get it at this price if Wi-Fi was there.
Oct 10, 2019
148 posts
136 upvotes
Does Canon or anyone make a megatank printer that "does" have Wi-Fi ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12958 upvotes
slomoo wrote: One possible remedy is to buy a stand alone print server, cost about $35 for a wired one or more than $100 for wireless.
I mean... I'm not sure how some people use their printers or set up their networks, but most people already have a wireless network.
To me it'd be silly to set something up with Wifi for more money when you can just wire it in and utilize existing wifi.

Then again... a Pi is cheap and some models have wifi.
Jun 26, 2009
703 posts
282 upvotes
Calgary
got g3200 from amazon for $229.. much better deal with Wifi and copy function
Feb 15, 2017
209 posts
66 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Then again... a Pi is cheap and some models have wifi.
Setting up a wireless Pi as a print server connected to the printer's USB port maybe the cheapest option. I have no experience with it though.
Oct 15, 2018
121 posts
173 upvotes
tabishz wrote: got g3200 from amazon for $229.. much better deal with Wifi and copy function
This one was tempting me but from the reviews that I've seen, it seems that the WiFi is a hit and miss and that some people could not even set it up to work so I'm still on the fence about it. My MG5320 has given me so many years of good printing so this is why I am tempted in buying another Canon. I have gone through over 75 cheap eBay ink cartridges over the 9 years that I have owned it and never had a single problem with these.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12958 upvotes
slomoo wrote: Setting up a wireless Pi as a print server connected to the printer's USB port maybe the cheapest option. I have no experience with it though.
Obviously it's not for everyone since some people have troubles setting up a printer natively, but if you're even remotely technically inclined you can load up Raspbian fairly easily and install CUPS.

Source: A lot of my label printers are set up like this.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1265 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is worth checking that if your router already supports USB printers.

Apple airports did and my old rogers modem/router did too
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2744 posts
233 upvotes
Shaq encourages you to buy this printer!