Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Corsair CX550 550W ATX 80 Bronze PSU $54.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2021 5:46 pm
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Amazon.ca appears to have dropped their price to $59.99 to compete.

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CP-902012 ... 01MRW2K79/

I bought two of them this morning and they were both the Great Wall made "RPS0064".
Corsair CX550 (CP-9020121, RPS0064): Current generation. Made by Great Wall. LLC resonant mode front end with DC to DC. Rated at 40°C. 80 PLUS Silver (but advertised as Bronze). Five year warranty.
Corsair CX550 (CP-9020121, RPS0054): Current generation. Made by CWT. LLC resonant mode front end with DC to DC. Rated at 40°C. 80 PLUS Silver (but advertised as Bronze). Five year warranty.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Oct 4, 2016
373 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
Thanks, grabbed one! I've used this power supply before, price is on point.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
Thanks for the deal, but I never recommend anyone buy these CX power supplies, the capacitors are garbage and they always end up prematurely failing, not worth risking your components over saving $$$.
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4 VR, 70-200 F2.8E VR, 50 1.8
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2018
1309 posts
440 upvotes
Markham ON
The evga fully modular 550w was better imo
Think Less, Imagine More
Imagine Not Being A University Of Waterloo Computer Engineering Dropout...😃
Costco is Bliss
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2018
1309 posts
440 upvotes
Markham ON
magical wrote: Thanks for the deal, but I never recommend anyone buy these CX power supplies, the capacitors are garbage and they always end up prematurely failing, not worth risking your components over saving $$$.
Just make sure it fails within the warranty period.
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
magical wrote: Thanks for the deal, but I never recommend anyone buy these CX power supplies, the capacitors are garbage and they always end up prematurely failing, not worth risking your components over saving $$$.
Tom's Hardware gave a good review of the Great Wall made CX650, which I would assume use similar components:
Also note this PSU is Tier B on psucultist's PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640 ... tier-list/. For a budget build, you could do a lot worse.

"The Corsair CX650 is among the best performing models in this budget category and a worthy competitor to some of the best power supplies. The CX650 achieves good efficiency levels, and load regulation is tight on all rails. The transient response could be better, though. The platform is modern, and according to Corsair's claims, it belongs to a higher efficiency level, but it is advertised at a lower level to keep both CWT and Great Wall versions of the CX650 on the same page.

The build quality is good, and GW used good parts, including Vishay and STMicroelectronics FETs, along with a rifle bearing fan. Finally, most of the electrolytic caps are provided by Elite, which is considered one of the best non-Japanese cap manufacturers.

The boost diode is quite strong for this platform. Usually, we find 6A to 8A boost diodes in 650W units, but the CX650 utilizes a 15A boost diode. While the boost diode is overrated, this is not the case for the bulk caps, which are of high quality but have low capacity.

Most of the filtering caps are provided by Elite, which has a good reputation in the budget category segment. We also find several Chemi-Cons, Teapos, and a lonely Rubycon cap. The Japanese caps are installed in the 5VSB circuit, where top-quality components are required since this rail operates in passive mode with the PSU's fan, not in operation."
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
Unless they updated this power supply, I built well over 200+ machines, I primarily used TX, VX, and HX corsairs. Out of those machines I have seen 1 of the high end die, but ... when customers cheaped out and wanted to buy the CX (very, very, very rare) or on the rare opportunity someone would buy one, they were as stable as charles manson.

I recently (two weeks ago) worked on my friends computer that had been blue screening forever, he wouldn't believe me it was his power supply when I asked what model it was, but indeed a CX550 still under warranty dead, I have seen so many as soon as people say they have a CX power supply I don't even want to test it (I do but it's a waste of time 95% power supply --- and they work usually feeding bad power to other components causing all sort of problems usually they will still power on) I can tell you his issue was also heat related, but these are exactly how these caps fail.

Antec had the same problem, they started using crappy caps in a lot of their power supplies and I stopped using them. (even in some of the truepowers)

I'm sure I'm not the only one person that doesn't recommend these "CX" models, and for the extra $30 extra 2yrs warranty, go for the bulletproof HX/VX/HX and other high end corsairs. Power supply is the last component you should ever cheap out on, get the best caps you can...

Get this for under $80 spend the extra $25 save all hastles
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4 VR, 70-200 F2.8E VR, 50 1.8
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2018
1309 posts
440 upvotes
Markham ON
Shouldn't be as bad as people are making it out to be. This is on the tier list, from linus tech tips. Just make sure that if it fails, it lands within the warranty period, and ask the reps on the other line to upgrade you (hopefully).
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Where were these prices when I was in the market for a PSU, bought a Antec EAG650 pro for $100 last July. 550W RMx was also $95 not long ago

You get what you pay for here, probably okay for most people. My ancient CX400 (Seasonic S12II platform, before the CX series turned to shit) performed like a champ for a decade across 2 builds before it went boom, but they really cut corners here.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Oct 13, 2018
265 posts
311 upvotes
magical wrote: Unless they updated this power supply, I built well over 200+ machines, I primarily used TX, VX, and HX corsairs. Out of those machines I have seen 1 of the high end die, but ... when customers cheaped out and wanted to buy the CX (very, very, very rare) or on the rare opportunity someone would buy one, they were as stable as charles manson.

I recently (two weeks ago) worked on my friends computer that had been blue screening forever, he wouldn't believe me it was his power supply when I asked what model it was, but indeed a CX550 still under warranty dead, I have seen so many as soon as people say they have a CX power supply I don't even want to test it (I do but it's a waste of time 95% power supply --- and they work usually feeding bad power to other components causing all sort of problems usually they will still power on) I can tell you his issue was also heat related, but these are exactly how these caps fail.

Antec had the same problem, they started using crappy caps in a lot of their power supplies and I stopped using them. (even in some of the truepowers)

I'm sure I'm not the only one person that doesn't recommend these "CX" models, and for the extra $30 extra 2yrs warranty, go for the bulletproof HX/VX/HX and other high end corsairs. Power supply is the last component you should ever cheap out on, get the best caps you can...

Get this for under $80 spend the extra $25 save all hastles
Hi there. I used to be the primary contributor to the PSU Tier List on the LTT Forums.
The CX (2017) is fine. It's not that far off in quality from the RMs of the world. A PSU is not just a box of capacitors; they rarely matter unless they truly are dogshit.

Considering the VX has been discontinued for 10+ years.... not sure if you should be talking about PSUs from your anecdotal evidence.
Note that the CX550 is the new CX gray platform, not old CX green. Excellent LLC Resonant, DC-DC design. Same with new Corsair CX-F, both are very high quality units.
Oct 13, 2018
265 posts
311 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Where were these prices when I was in the market for a PSU, bought a Antec EAG650 pro for $100 last July. 550W RMx was also $95 not long ago

You get what you pay for here, probably okay for most people. My ancient CX400 (Seasonic S12II platform, before the CX series turned to shit) performed like a champ for a decade across 2 builds before it went boom, but they really cut corners here.
The green CX wasn't actually as bad as most people thought outside of the CX430. The CX500/600 performed similarly to the S12II/M12II and had build quality to match. Weren't great but not as bad as people thought.
New CX gray series is excellent, however. Punches way above its price class, 80+ Silver, good build quality and DC-DC LLC-R design.
Dec 15, 2015
523 posts
524 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I just bought this yesterday from Amazon as I had a $10 promotional discount. Is this PSU really bad? I thought of using it for a mid-range AMD build. I used a Coolermaster EX2 525 for my i3570k build and it's been 7yrs and still working fine.
"You have to risk it for the biscuit"
"$34/80GB BYOD FiDO"