Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

[CPU] i5-9600k - $279 ($309-$30 coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2019 11:28 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
RickJamesWasRight wrote: None of this is accurate as none of these devices saturate pcie3.0.

If you want to continue to make this BS claim, feel free to provide evidence to support your claims.

and if you really wanted to split hairs over fractions of a second, AMD will always be behind, because of the memory latency of their IMC compared to intel.
Current NVME drives can saturate PCIe 3.0 at 32GB/s = 3200MB
PCIe 4.0 at 64GB/s max = 5000MB+ at the moment - there is room for improvement...

https://www.fullexposure.photography/ho ... -pcie-3-0/

This is only the beginning of peripherals ... like USB2 migrating to USB 3.0 ...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
3101 posts
3349 upvotes
just to be clear, this is the cheapest way to 5ghz. you buy this to overclock it and get the fastest performance for the lowest price. gamers nexus did find at least one game that gets skippy on only 6 threads, but unless you play one of those games, this is the lowest price for the fastest game performance. there are a lot of things that will run just as fast on this as on a 9900k.

to pick between this and a 3600 you've gotta include the price of the motherboards and cpu coolers and look at the exact apps you run.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
lincoln wrote: Exactly, and if all you do is game at 60Hz stick with your old 2600k, 3770k 4770k, etc. regardless of resolution.
Yup,

I game only in 4k 60hz on my OLED with my GTX 1080ti and i see absolutely no reason to change my overclocked i5 4690k CPU for the next 5 years!
Nov 19, 2017
194 posts
205 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Current NVME drives can saturate PCIe 3.0 at 32GB/s = 3200MB
PCIe 4.0 at 64GB/s max = 5000MB+ at the moment - there is room for improvement...

https://www.fullexposure.photography/ho ... -pcie-3-0/

This is only the beginning of peripherals ... like USB2 migrating to USB 3.0 ...
And yet those drives show little to no real world performance increases for OS or app load times. You keep making claims, yet provide nothing to support them. And what about all of your other claims?

Oh, and you completely ignored the fact that any of those unproven claims of ms improvments in latency you made would be negated by the very real and tested lower memory latency of intel compared to ryzen.

EDIT: Even top tier graphics cards show little to no improvement when going pcie 3.0 8x to pcie3.0 16x. So allowing more bandwidth with PCIE 4.0 is not going to help with current levels of hardware. In fact, it might even hurt performance if latency is sacrificed to achieve pcie 4,0.

So if even devices that rely heavily on pcie, show little to no improvment when increasing pcie bandwidth, what makes you think devices that come no where close to saturating pcie bandwidth are going to suddenly perform better?
Last edited by RickJamesWasRight on Aug 18th, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
RickJamesWasRight wrote: And yet those drives show little to no real world performance increases for OS or app load times. You keep making claims, yet provide nothing to support them. And what about all of your other claims?

Oh, and you completely ignored the fact that any of those unproven claims of ms improvments in latency you made would be negated by the very real and tested lower memory latency of intel compared to ryzen.
Ok, Intel CPU is the greatest value for the money.... I must go out and buy one now ...

<signing out> ...
Nov 19, 2017
194 posts
205 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Ok, Intel CPU is the greatest value for the money.... I must go out and buy one now ...

<signing out> ...

So once your bullshit claims get called out, you dodge questions asking you to support them, and then try to leave?

Very strong tactics. Make false claims, and simply leave the discussion when their validity is called into question.
Apr 12, 2017
311 posts
367 upvotes
GTA
frugal69 wrote: My advice:

Get New Ryzen that has PCIe 4.0 enabled for future-proof.

PCie 3.0 = 4-lane highway
PCie 4.0 = 8-lane highway

Which bus/highway can move more data/cars? to alleviate data/vehicle congestion?

you will notice small improvements while multitasking, like smoother surfing while copying/moving files to USb 3.0 devices/cell phones etc, copying files over gigabit ethernet simultaneously ...

why? because your data bus is 2x PCIE 3.0... with PCIe 4.0 ...

ever notice a web page slow down while copying files to USB 3.0? that's probably because your PCIe 3.0 bus is saturated ...

Games are usually single task, moving data from RAM to Video to CPU ... PCIe 3.0 is probably enough for that but why not have more available bandwidth?
Imagine doing your back-ups while playing a game ... for example... you will need PCIe 4.0 ...
or playing a game while downloading your next 60GB Game using fiber 1Gigabit...
or playing a game while streaming 60GB HDR 4k Movie using fiber 1Gigabit... (or downloading this movie for later playback)

Cheers,
you really have no clue as to what you are talking about here do you??
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
StealthXSolitude wrote: you really have no clue as to what you are talking about here do you??
i do know what I am talking about. Microsoft Game Studios will be offering subscription based gaming - pay $30 or so dollars per month and play as much as you want - like netflix.

you're not going to wait 16 hours for a 60GB game to download to play - that would limit your monthly play time... so you will soon be able to play while downloading your next games on your play list.

Same for movies... there may be a return of blockbuster who can rent you a 4k bluray completely uncompressed to watch - as long as you can stream or download it for viewing ....

everything will be subscription based ... like the netflix model ...

With the xbox one X - it is painful to download 60gb to play - the waiting ... for the monthly subscribers ...
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1880 posts
1820 upvotes
Maple leafs
vonblock wrote: Yup,

I game only in 4k 60hz on my OLED with my GTX 1080ti and i see absolutely no reason to change my overclocked i5 4690k CPU for the next 5 years!

Hold on skippy, I also have an old 4770k oc’d with a 1080ti on by basement 4K tv.

It’s does fine for now in many games. But 4 cores is not going to continue to work well for modern games and workloads coming out that will expect 6-8 cores. There is a large shift happening moving the baseline down, and 4cores is now low end.

Personally I am slowly switching out all 4c stuff for 6/8/12 core parts as the time of the 4c is nearly over.

Your 4670k will be quite slow for gaming in even 2 more yrs, at 5yrs from now it will be worth nearly nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1074 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
frugal69 wrote: i do know what I am talking about. Microsoft Game Studios will be offering subscription based gaming - pay $30 or so dollars per month and play as much as you want - like netflix.

you're not going to wait 16 hours for a 60GB game to download to play - that would limit your monthly play time... so you will soon be able to play while downloading your next games on your play list.

Same for movies... there may be a return of blockbuster who can rent you a 4k bluray completely uncompressed to watch - as long as you can stream or download it for viewing ....

With the xbox one X - it is painful to download 60gb to play - the waiting ... for the monthly subscribers ...
The increased graphical fidelity and framerate of PC gaming...yeah whatever that's gonna be a nice change for me coming from the One X, but the thing I'm looking forward to the most is being able to actually saturate my fibre connection with Steam downloads. No more waiting on the slow Xbox servers to download games.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2008
1185 posts
1288 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Yes, right, and no OS will need more than 640k ... on a other note,

1-2 years from now, you will be saying FML, I should've went with PCIe 4.0 to futureproof cuz new Video Cards, NVME storage, virtual Headsets, and other peripherals etc . are all going to be released in PCIE4.0 format... then you'll be stuck with this PCIE 3.0 crap... and have to upgrade again !!!

I'm not saying we will never need PCIe 4.0. I said for right now and by the time you need to upgrade your mobo again, pcie 4.0 is not useful for gaming. Unless you are planning to game in 8k 144hz resolution?
And don't start talking about disk transfer speed. Are you really going to need more than 120GBps of bandwidth to transfer your files while gaming?

Dont take my word for it read the article

It shows that none of these popular display resolutions fully saturate the PCIe Gen3 x16 interface. Those with a 4K 144Hz 10-bit HDR setup will need to run at PCIe 3.0 x8, let alone PCIe 3.0 x16. This is why many of the initial PCIe Gen4 ‘real-world’ demos are being done on workstations doing content creation on an 8K display with a 120Hz refresh rate.

Read more at https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-show ... ers_212350
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
wetcardboard wrote: The increased graphical fidelity and framerate of PC gaming...yeah whatever that's gonna be a nice change for me coming from the One X, but the thing I'm looking forward to the most is being able to actually saturate my fibre connection with Steam downloads. No more waiting on the slow Xbox servers to download games.
I think all the game selling companies will be offering a subscription model - like EA, Origin, or at east have their games on some subscription platform.

I think that's why Microsoft had to revamp the One X so soon - it cannot allow playing while downloading your next selection on Game pass... Heck it took me 6 hours to install and update a game by Bluray disc.

I guess we'll see ... if you don't mind the d/l wait and can live with single task, then for some, that might work...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
U4LIFE wrote: Hold on skippy, I also have an old 4770k oc’d with a 1080ti on by basement 4K tv.

It’s does fine for now in many games. But 4 cores is not going to continue to work well for modern games and workloads coming out that will expect 6-8 cores. There is a large shift happening moving the baseline down, and 4cores is now low end.

Personally I am slowly switching out all 4c stuff for 6/8/12 core parts as the time of the 4c is nearly over.

Your 4670k will be quite slow for gaming in even 2 more yrs, at 5yrs from now it will be worth nearly nothing.
We'll see about that,

Maybe the new gen console will finally get my CPU useless,

Until that, it's really fine
Jun 11, 2018
130 posts
93 upvotes
GammaRayFort wrote: This or Ryzen 5 3600x?

Or even Ryzen 7 2700x?

I choose Ryzen for new builds. For upgrading from i3, sell your motherboard and get Ryzen combo.

Unless you're getting a good deal on the 2700X I would go 3600 over this.

I got the 2700X for $260ish on prime day and I am content otherwise I would jump on that 3600 @ 299.99 posted in this thread.
Aug 30, 2007
423 posts
219 upvotes
Putting aside the AMD/Intel discussion, there should one be a yes, this is a good deal or no this is not a good deal for this CPU.

Getting back on topic, if you were looking specifically for an i5-9600k, is this a hot deal?
May 15, 2007
713 posts
652 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Due to these benchmarks:

Intel Core i5-9600K @ 3.70GHz - CPU Mark 13527
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - CPU Mark 20502 - & PCIe 4.0 ready

Intel Core i5-9600K is 30% slower, price should be 30% less than AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (now at $340 * .7 = $238)

With the absence of PCIe 4.0, i would say less $50 - like the difference between 2600 and 3600 - so to speak ...

So maybe should be valued at $180 ish ... just my thoughts ...

Oh, i forgot, the Intel label - must add $100 = $280... lol ... just because ...
I like your calculation. 9400f is $160 and is 70% slower than 3900X. And 3900X is around %650.
Emmm, from your calculation methond, it has $300 label?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
frugal69 wrote: i do know what I am talking about. Microsoft Game Studios will be offering subscription based gaming - pay $30 or so dollars per month and play as much as you want - like netflix.

I play my games while I download at 100Mb/s and notice no lag at all...
<no self promotion>
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
sgtplunder wrote: Putting aside the AMD/Intel discussion, there should one be a yes, this is a good deal or no this is not a good deal for this CPU.

Getting back on topic, if you were looking specifically for an i5-9600k, is this a hot deal?
go back and read post #2 of this thread...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)