Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile D4 2G - 1417 MHz Boost, 2100 MHz Memory - DDR4 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI $99.99

Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2455 posts
1874 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Downvoted for wasting RFD's server space with a bunch of useless copy paste.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1577 posts
518 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RearmedLif wrote: Intel has the A380.
A 199.99 CAD card, but it's sold out everywhere. https://www.newegg.ca/asrock-arc-a380-a ... -_-Product
Used to be 199.99+20$ rebate and free shipping.
Arc line are very power hungry for low profile @ 75W, most OEM SFF/DT is with PS of 180-220 range GT1030 still is the best card within the power envelope with RX6400 in the "might work" range. There is nothing else out there.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4616 posts
2075 upvotes
Toronto
ADenariusSaved wrote: Exactly what I got it for, had to buy it used on ebay for $80 bucks. Diderot effect after getting a $169 OP 5020 SFF. But I got a DDR5 version. DDR4 was AMD's way of saying **** you to its customers. Sleazier than Apple in this move. They released an inferior edition at the same price hoping that unsuspecting people will buy the shittier product, for shits and giggles.

Handles Starcraft 2 well which is what I needed it for. I got the ASUS comically large heatsink version.
Is "AMD" a typo? Do you mean nVidia?

I too am slightly interested in half-height cards with low power requirements that are cheap. AMD would actually be better than nVidia -- Linux. Driving UltraHD monitors with old iGPUs is awkward.

Truthfully, I should just retire the old machines.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4135 posts
3391 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Hugh wrote: Is "AMD" a typo? Do you mean nVidia?

I too am slightly interested in half-height cards with low power requirements that are cheap. AMD would actually be better than nVidia -- Linux. Driving UltraHD monitors with old iGPUs is awkward.

Truthfully, I should just retire the old machines.
Oh shit, yeah, definitely a typo. Not sure why I typed AMD. I'll fix it.
I thought PopOS / Manjaro / Nabara project resolved the NVIDIA issues?
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16829 posts
3344 upvotes
GTA
ADenariusSaved wrote: Exactly what I got it for, had to buy it used on ebay for $80 bucks. Diderot effect after getting a $169 OP 5020 SFF. But I got a DDR5 version. DDR4 was AMD's way of saying **** you to its customers. Sleazier than Apple in this move. They released an inferior edition at the same price hoping that unsuspecting people will buy the shittier product, for shits and giggles.

Handles Starcraft 2 well which is what I needed it for. I got the ASUS comically large heatsink version.
linus did a whole video on this and it's not limited to computer vendors. even auto manufacturers did this sort of downgrade by substituting inferior parts, because of "supply chain issues". not sure if real or not but i've definitely seen this across the board. even I've sold previous gen equipment to customers, i would never have otherwise done... all because availability and customer needed on site asap. cuz previous gen shipping today is better than new gen shipping in 13+ weeks, maybe.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4616 posts
2075 upvotes
Toronto
ADenariusSaved wrote: I thought PopOS / Manjaro / Nabara project resolved the NVIDIA issues?
There is a long-standing open source Nvidia driver -- nouveau. But it is crippled because Nvidia refuses to release the specs for very important features (eg. clocking). Apparently not useful for recent cards.

I had a notebook that I've thrown out since Nvidia's closed source drivers (for Windows and Linux) have left it behind. Nouveau didn't work, possibly because it was a niche GPU. Forced obsolescence annoys me a lot.

Nvidia recently rejigged their closed-source driver to make the kernel module distributable with the linux kernel. But it isn't open source. The details are esoteric.

I have two PCs running Linux with Nvidia GPUs. This annoys me but there wasn't an alternative at the times they were acquired. The GTX 650 in this desktop is no longer supported and thus may become a problem.
Last edited by Hugh on Oct 18th, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4135 posts
3391 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Hugh wrote: There is a long-standing open source Nvidia drive -- nouveau. But it is crippled because Nvidia refuses to releas the specs for very important features (eg. clocking). Apparently not useful for recent cards.

I had a notebook that I've thrown out since Nvidia's closed source drivers (for Windows and Linux) have left it behind. Nouveau didn't work, possibly because it was a niche GPU. Forced obsolescence annoys me a lot.

Nvidia recently rejigged their closed-source driver to make the kernel module distributable with the linux kernel. But it isn't open source. The details are esoteric.

I have two PCs running Linux with Nvidia GPUs. This annoys me but there wasn't an alternative at the times they were acquired. The GTX 650 in this desktop is no longer supported and thus may become a problem.
Wow, so AMD is the way to go...I usually buy AMD but they didn't have a GT1030 equivalent. This is a designated Windows machine though.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4616 posts
2075 upvotes
Toronto
ADenariusSaved wrote: Wow, so AMD is the way to go...I usually buy AMD but they didn't have a GT1030 equivalent. This is a designated Windows machine though.
I should say on the plus side that the Nvidia closed-source drivers are well supported by most Linux distros. They mostly work very smoothly.

The concerns:
  • fastidious distros don't distribute the driver with the installation medium -- they fetch the driver from the internet after installation
  • the lifetime of your card is dictated by how long Nvidia supports the driver for it
  • Linux kernel developers won't look at an error report if the kernel was "tainted" by a closed source driver (like Nvidia's)
  • only Nvidia can debug and fix a bug in their driver

Interesting example: almost all supercomputers run Linux; most use Nvidia GPUs. How does that work? You can bet Nvidia engineers are involved. The problem may be simplified by the fact that they don't do graphics, they do CPU computing (usually Cuda, I imagine).
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2077 posts
848 upvotes
BC
Focus wrote: I never understand why Nv/AMD/Intel don't release decent low power low profile card, half the business PC are DT/SFF if they release sth better than UHD630 at decent price with 3-4 outputs that is just a gold mine.
The HD5450 was like a $30 card back when it came out.
Koodo: $45/10GB Unlimited Canada wide calling

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)