[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3037 posts
2561 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

[Canada Computers] [HOT] Intel i5 9400F - $159.99

Pretty good deal for building a gaming computer. Use coupon "CPHD00000025"

Edit: There's a lot of discussion about whether this is a good upgrade. I don't mean to threadcrap on my thread, but it's maybe better to get the 3600 on sale if you already have a modern cpu. But this is a fine processor too, if you don't already have a cpu. Check out Tom's Hardware's CPU Hierarchy chart before upgrading:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cp ... ,4312.html
Last edited by Nikhilvoid on Aug 15th, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
242 replies
Jun 15, 2011
39371 posts
5807 upvotes
King City
Thanks OP. Maybe this may be the CPU for my new build. I will be coming from an i5 2500K.

What do the reviews state for this CPU? Entry level Intel gaming CPU? I'm sticking with Intel (sorry AMD folks). This can't be overclocked?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
9663 posts
9779 upvotes
Worse than a 3600 by a bit, but at this price, attractive.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
1757 posts
1194 upvotes
Kitchener
Cheap motherboard to put this in?
Gaming PC: i5 6500, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Media PC: i5 4570, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3037 posts
2561 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
djemzine wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 1:51 pm
Thanks OP. Maybe this may be the CPU for my new build. I will be coming from an i5 2500K.

What do the reviews state for this CPU? Entry level Intel gaming CPU? I'm sticking with Intel (sorry AMD folks). This can't be overclocked?
Not just entry level gaming. Mid-range or higher, especially if you game at 1440p or above:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 99058vs619

Vs a Ryzen 3600 (3600 is twice as fast on multicore but just a bit worse on single core gaming):

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 9058vs4041

I know there's something up with User benchmark not valuing multicore as much anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.
Jun 15, 2011
39371 posts
5807 upvotes
King City
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 1:55 pm
Not just entry level gaming. Mid-range or higher, especially if you game at 1440p or above:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 99058vs619

Vs a Ryzen 3600 (3600 is twice as fast on multicore but just a bit worse on single core gaming):

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 9058vs4041

I know there's something up with User benchmark not valuing multicore as much anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks. I won't do heavy gaming or photo/video rendering. The odd gaming here and there, and the odd photo/video editing here and there. Just like what I do with my current PC. However I thought I'll upgrade because I miss gaming, and my PC can't run newer games.

So ya I am no hardcore user to be honest. Also trying to keep a budget too. What are some good motherboards to go with this CPU?
484 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 1:51 pm

That's a 8 year old CPU. Crazy still that it still runs. This CPU will blow that out of the water... that goes for any cpu within the last 4 years LOL.

Just like your K series... the K series is the overclocking CPU. This will run stock.

Intel won't refresh until next year. This will be a stop gap, not long term CPU.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3037 posts
2561 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
djemzine wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:04 pm
Thanks. I won't do heavy gaming or photo/video rendering. The odd gaming here and there, and the odd photo/video editing here and there. Just like what I do with my current PC. However I thought I'll upgrade because I miss gaming, and my PC can't run newer games.

So ya I am no hardcore user to be honest. Also trying to keep a budget too. What are some good motherboards to go with this CPU?
No deals on motherboards right now, but wait for one if you can. The problem with Intel motherboards is that lack of an upgrade path, unlike with AMD motherboards.
May 21, 2019
15 posts
38 upvotes
Thanks and it comes with a cooler. Might need to upgrade my pentium g4560
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3037 posts
2561 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I think it might be a price error because we're getting this coupon to work without having to bundle it with a motherboard. Fingers crossed!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
2938 posts
2079 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:14 pm
I think it might be a price error because we're getting this coupon to work without having to bundle it with a motherboard. Fingers crossed!
Newegg is selling this for $199 & Amazon for $206.72
Jun 15, 2011
39371 posts
5807 upvotes
King City
orianna wrote:
That's a 8 year old CPU. Crazy still that it still runs. This CPU will blow that out of the water... that goes for any cpu within the last 4 years LOL.

Just like your K series... the K series is the overclocking CPU. This will run stock.

Intel won't refresh until next year. This will be a stop gap, not long term CPU.
Haha, she still runs my good friend. When I built my PC back then in 2012, I tossed in the Noctua NHD14 - massive CPU cooler if you ask me. I have 16GB with this rig. At the time, when gaming it was fantastic. Crysis, etc. Now its outdated haha. I have a 560 Ti GPU as well.

Intel won't refresh until next year, as in? No K cpu? I am a little bit confused here haah.
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:08 pm
No deals on motherboards right now, but wait for one if you can. The problem with Intel motherboards is that lack of an upgrade path, unlike with AMD motherboards.
Thanks. As mentioned I've been out of the game for a long time, so I am not sure what's out there. I'll keep an eye for a deal on a motherboard and slowly collect the parts by the end of the summer. Upgrade path as in upgrading the components such as PCI for SSD, GPU and of course RAM?

Asus, eVGA and Gigabyte still good brands for Mobos?
Aug 19, 2018
926 posts
917 upvotes
orianna wrote:
Just to keep some expectation straight. 2500k, espeically if OCed, which many of them does really well. Really wouldn't be much slower than 9400f.

I hope OP isn't buying this in hope to see a noticable differences. He won't see much changes. The additional support for Nvram on the motherboard and other luxary like better USB3 support might be more noticable to him.
Sep 3, 2009
496 posts
140 upvotes
Calgary
djemzine wrote:

2500k is still very capable even today, what is your gpu? maybe all you need is just to add/upgrade your video card if you just want to play newer games.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3037 posts
2561 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
djemzine wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks. As mentioned I've been out of the game for a long time, so I am not sure what's out there. I'll keep an eye for a deal on a motherboard and slowly collect the parts by the end of the summer. Upgrade path as in upgrading the components such as PCI for SSD, GPU and of course RAM?

Asus, eVGA and Gigabyte still good brands for Mobos?
Yeah, I'd just wait for a deal on a 3600 if I were you and upgrade from your 560ti to a 1660ti or something. A 9400f isn't a noticeable upgrade, unlike a GPU upgrade. I'm still on a i7 2700k and waiting for the 3600 deals.
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:16 pm
Just to keep some expectation straight. 2500k, espeically if OCed, which many of them does really well. Really wouldn't be much slower than 9400f.

I hope OP isn't buying this in hope to see a noticable differences. He won't see much changes. The additional support for Nvram on the motherboard and other luxary like better USB3 support might be more noticable to him.
Agreed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)