WD 10 TB RED
$279.00

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=108046

No free shipping :(
29 replies
Oct 14, 2017
948 posts
1020 upvotes
How is this hot? This was on sale for $239 days ago.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
47 posts
31 upvotes
Fort Frances
You must be mistaken on the drive. This is one of the lowest for a wd 10 tb red.
Oct 14, 2017
948 posts
1020 upvotes
stephengillon wrote: You must be mistaken on the drive. This is one of the lowest for a wd 10 tb red.
I have a NAS with 2 of these on. I watch the prices of these very closely.

Also, the WD 10TB red external was for for $225 just last week. I believe you can shuck them.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
47 posts
31 upvotes
Fort Frances
There is no WD 10TB red externals, there are WD elements, My Books, and easy stores. which can contain re branded Red's yes. but they are not official red's.

They do no hold the same warranty as a red.

But thanks for the down vote for lack of knowledge :)
Last edited by stephengillon on Dec 2nd, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 14, 2017
948 posts
1020 upvotes
stephengillon wrote: There is no WD 10TB red externals, there are WD elements, My Books, and easy stores. which can contain re branded Red's yes. but they are not official red's.

They do no hold the same warranty as a red.
That has an unmarked red in it. In any case, $279 for ED 10TB RED isn't hot. I won't down vote since it's better than the list price.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
xtrmDeals wrote: Also, the WD 10TB red external was for for $225 just last week. I believe you can shuck them.
Which isn't this drive.
xtrmDeals wrote: That has an unmarked red in it.
No it's a white label drive.
They do have some similarities but there's a couple of fundamental differences including the 3.3V and both the lack of warranty and a shortened warranty.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1453 posts
213 upvotes
how's this hot my guy? the seagate expansion which had the Baracuda was $199
Oct 14, 2017
948 posts
1020 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Which isn't this drive.
No it's a white label drive.
They do have some similarities but there's a couple of fundamental differences including the 3.3V and both the lack of warranty and a shortened warranty.
Okay.L, but the element has the wd100emaz drive which is the white labelled RED WD HD. At least that's what I understood but if you are 100% sure then I'll yield to your judgement.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
xtrmDeals wrote: element has the wd100emaz drive which is the white labelled RED WD HD.
There's no such thing as a "white labelled red" drive.
People started calling it that because it shares some of the same characteristics, but "white labelled red" sounds like someone stuck a white label onto a red drive which isn't the case.
The 3.3V thing alone says this is false.

The other characteristics like RPM and TLER are the same as a red drive which is probably why people started calling them that.
But they're not 100% interchangeable.

Plus warranty. Reds I think are 3 year whereas Externals are generally 1 year.
Shucking technically invalidates the warranty as well, but you can reassemble it without issues if you're real careful.

With all that said, I personally don't think the $50ish difference is worth the warranty or the not having to do the 3.3V thing.
But for some people it might be important. $50x5 drives = A free drive.
For me I'd rather gamble that I'm losing less than 1 drive per 5 drives since I'm usually buying them by the at least 8 if not the 24 but someone that's buying 2 (or even 4) drives may want to pay the price premium to make sure they have a warranty.
Plus I don't mind doing the 3.3V mod because 1) I don't need to since my backplane doesn't care or 2) I have Kapton tape. But not everyone has this luxury.
if you are 100% sure

100%
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2466 posts
425 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: how's this hot my guy? the seagate expansion which had the Baracuda was $199
Because this is WD red, not Seagate expansion. I bought this 10tb for $339, and I don't think I've ever seen the WD 10TB red for this low. Now I just need to find a newegg or other retailer who only charges GST to Quebec so I can buy another one.
Jul 21, 2013
773 posts
461 upvotes
Calgary
You can PM @ memory express for an extra 10% off.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: how's this hot my guy? the seagate expansion which had the Baracuda was $199
Some people prefer WD.

10TB you can't argue about SMR since Seagate doesn't have an SMR 10TB but usually Seagate has SMR.

Oh and the drive in question is also a drive that requires shucking. See above for that.
Some people just want a valid long warranty and ease of use.

Shucking 24 drives isn't fun.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1453 posts
213 upvotes
mtlboy wrote: Because this is WD red, not Seagate expansion. I bought this 10tb for $339, and I don't think I've ever seen the WD 10TB red for this low. Now I just need to find a newegg or other retailer who only charges GST to Quebec so I can buy another one.
death_hawk wrote: Some people prefer WD.

10TB you can't argue about SMR since Seagate doesn't have an SMR 10TB but usually Seagate has SMR.

Oh and the drive in question is also a drive that requires shucking. See above for that.
Some people just want a valid long warranty and ease of use.

Shucking 24 drives isn't fun.
ok fine agreed, it isn't the RED. but what's the major difference in the baracuda pro vs the red? longevity? rpm? isn't slower rmp better for NAS.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: but what's the major difference in the baracuda pro vs the red? longevity? rpm? isn't slower rmp better for NAS.
Isn't the barracuda still 5400RPM?

I haven't actually looked at the specs sheet for either since I've already made my decision.
Nov 23, 2004
706 posts
1214 upvotes
Ontario
xtrmDeals wrote: Okay.L, but the element has the wd100emaz drive which is the white labelled RED WD HD. At least that's what I understood but if you are 100% sure then I'll yield to your judgement.
That Elements enclosure from last week is actually a WD Ultrastar Data Centre drive (which was formerly an HGST drive before their acquisition). Definitely a little higher end drive than even a Red would be. Of course YMMV as to what you get when you shuck it - I shucked mine this weekend and that was what the part number on the drive came back to, but they may use different drives too. Of course it's white labelled, so who knows how (if at all) it differs from a standard Ultrastar.
Jul 20, 2011
285 posts
279 upvotes
GTA
I shucked my WD 8TB external drive( WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN) last weekend, the HDD inside is
WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0 which should be same as yours.
mindabsence wrote: That Elements enclosure from last week is actually a WD Ultrastar Data Centre drive (which was formerly an HGST drive before their acquisition). Definitely a little higher end drive than even a Red would be. Of course YMMV as to what you get when you shuck it - I shucked mine this weekend and that was what the part number on the drive came back to, but they may use different drives too. Of course it's white labelled, so who knows how (if at all) it differs from a standard Ultrastar.
Nov 23, 2004
706 posts
1214 upvotes
Ontario
linuxfan wrote: I shucked my WD 8TB external drive( WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN) last weekend, the HDD inside is
WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0 which should be same as yours.
Definitely wouldn't have an 8tb in my 10tb Winking Face