Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers Black Friday

Huawei Matebook 14 - $999

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2022 6:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes

[Canada Computers] [Black Friday] Huawei Matebook 14 - $999

HUAWEI Matebook 14 Notebook, 14", 2160 x 1440, Touch Screen, Intel Core i5-1135G7, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 16GB, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, 53012STE
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1207 posts
1885 upvotes
That is a good looking laptop.

But I'm a Lenovo Thinkpad person (only because it was issued by my employer).

- posted from my Huawei P50 Pro
Jul 22, 2009
436 posts
432 upvotes
Oakville
Should be noted that the webcam is in the keyboard area. Makes for a less than flattering angle for those who do video conferencing frequently.
Aug 21, 2007
44 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
I saw this laptop in store and I instantly loved the look and feel, especially the touch of the keyboard.

So I researched the laptop and there are some things I don't like.

1. Only one USB-C port. It means you cannot use the port while charging.
2. Weird webcam angle. The pop-up camera is placed on the keyboard so the camera is looking up and your nostril are too visible!
3. Speakers are on the back so the sound would not be clear depending on the surface you put it on.
4. No SD card reader

Those things can be fixed with little effort (such as using a docking station, raising laptop position while using the webcam, etc.) but I just decided not to go for the model. Very nice solid computer though.

I am comparing this to Lenovo Ideapad pro 5i (14-inch) for 15 dollars more (currently on sale at Lenovo).
Obviously Ideapad pro 5i is a better deal spec-wise but I am not really sure if it has the same solid built and nice look/feel that Matebook has.
Last edited by Tweety39 on Nov 28th, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2256 posts
1372 upvotes
Montreal
I have an older version of this. Great product. Build quality is great and haven't seen better for the price. Overall impressive machine. Macbook clone done right. I was getting flamed for posting years back when Huawei and potential bans was major topic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
Just got mine through the mail. First impressions:

Pros:
Feels and looks super premium, compared to Asus, Lenovo Yoga, HP and Dell XPS that I've used.. probably the best Windows offers
Excellent keyboard - not bilingual... good amount of travel and not loud
Good battery life
Great 2K, 3:2 touchscreen
Fingerprint reader actually works unlike the HP I had
Not much bloatware. Some of the Huawei software is actually pretty cool like the multidevice screen share and huawei share (to share large files to your computer within seconds).

Cons:
Cam is in the keyboard so not a flattering angle for those who need to use video calls often, especially if you have a double chin
No SD card reader

Almost made the switch to a macbook air before I saw this deal, but really preferred something with a touchscreen. Glad I didn't.
Last edited by Takada on Dec 5th, 2022 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1207 posts
1885 upvotes
Takada wrote: Almost made the switch to a macbook air before I saw this deal, but really preferred something with a touchscreen. Glad I didn't.
I just looked it up because I'm not a mac person so I didn't know that there are NO macbook that comes with touchscreen, WTF. The fruit company really wants you to buy an iPad just for the touchscreen huh.

I am so habitually used to touchscreens on laptops that a couple of years ago I was briefly browsing on a friend's macbook I kept touching the screen out of habit. Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 30, 2015
141 posts
89 upvotes
isgaard wrote: I just looked it up because I'm not a mac person so I didn't know that there are NO macbook that comes with touchscreen, WTF. The fruit company really wants you to buy an iPad just for the touchscreen huh.

I am so habitually used to touchscreens on laptops that a couple of years ago I was briefly browsing on a friend's macbook I kept touching the screen out of habit. Face With Tears Of Joy
I don't use my touchscreen on my laptop, am I missing out on something?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7597 posts
4405 upvotes
Toronto
Why would anyone want a touchscreen laptop
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1249 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote: Why would anyone want a touchscreen laptop
Why is the sky blue? Why is fire hot? Why would anyone walk when you could just drive?...
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7597 posts
4405 upvotes
Toronto
Josecc wrote: Why is the sky blue? Why is fire hot? Why would anyone walk when you could just drive?...
It's a rhetorical question, one that doesn't require an answer
Mar 6, 2019
522 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
isgaard wrote: That is a good looking laptop.

But I'm a Lenovo Thinkpad person (only because it was issued by my employer).

- posted from my Huawei P50 Pro
CTRL-C Macbook, CTRL-V Matebook