Apr 30th, 2019 12:51 pm
ew intel
LOL why I have one that has lasted for years
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7654 posts
2263 upvotes
Washington, DC
Western Digital, Samsung and Intel just reported excessive inventory and expect pricing weakness throughout 2019.

$135 is a really good price though.

"Western Digital fiscal Q3 clocked by inventory writedown"

Western Digital took inventory charges of $110 million in cost of revenue in the fiscal third quarter. Western Digital also missed its second quarter targets.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/western-d ... writedown/
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7654 posts
2263 upvotes
Washington, DC
JonSnow wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 1:22 pm
In before the QLC haters
1TB drive: 200TB Total Bytes
Written (TBW), approximately
109GB per day for 5 years
https://content.crucial.com/content/dam ... tflyer.pdf

It's hilarious how people are worried about endurance. How many people write 109GB per day?
This is also the "recommended life expectancy"... there's no reason it can't go far above 200TB.

TLC has about 5x the endurance, so literally it would take you 25 years @ 109GB. MLC is 5x TLC endurance, so literally 125 years.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Aug 19, 2018
783 posts
723 upvotes
lincoln wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 2:17 pm
1TB drive: Total Bytes
Written (TBW), approximately
109GB per day for 5 years
https://content.crucial.com/content/dam ... tflyer.pdf

It's hilarious how people are worried about endurance. How many people write 109GB per day?

TLC has about 5x the endurance, so literally it would take you 25 years @ 109GB. MLC is 5x TLC endurance, so literally 125 years.
Yeah. After a few years of testing we have started putting Database server purely on MLC. Even storages in servers are in TLC these days. I still haven't had one failed (thought I only use enterprise level SSD in servers)

I'm sure TLC can replace MLC and QLC can replace TLC in that scenario. Though I just like to play it safe and pay extra.

For the consumer, I really can't imagine a scenario where QLC is a problem. There really isn't a downside to SSD as we can see beside the price. If anything spinning disk has more endurance and reliability concern.
Oct 18, 2016
189 posts
80 upvotes
Prices are getting better indeed. What are the chances that we'll see $100/TB NVMe storage this year? I'd love to throw in a 2TB SSD NVMe in my main system for $200 this summer.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3984 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
lincoln wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 1:38 pm
Western Digital, Samsung and Intel just reported excessive inventory and expect pricing weakness throughout 2019.

$135 is a really good price though.

"Western Digital fiscal Q3 clocked by inventory writedown"

Western Digital took inventory charges of $110 million in cost of revenue in the fiscal third quarter. Western Digital also missed its second quarter targets.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/western-d ... writedown/
This is what I want to see.

I got trust in INTEL over HP and adata. I also just bought a Samsung 860 recently, only 500gb; will probably use it for games, but waiting to get a nvme drive for boot drive.
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7654 posts
2263 upvotes
Washington, DC
Cucumference wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 2:21 pm
Yeah. After a few years of testing we have started putting Database server purely on MLC. Even storages in servers are in TLC these days. I still haven't had one failed (thought I only use enterprise level SSD in servers)

I'm sure TLC can replace MLC and QLC can replace TLC in that scenario. Though I just like to play it safe and pay extra.

For the consumer, I really can't imagine a scenario where QLC is a problem. There really isn't a downside to SSD as we can see beside the price. If anything spinning disk has more endurance and reliability concern.
You probably already know this but the only difference between a consumer SSD and enterprise level SSD is the size of the NAND provisioning on the drive, so more blocks can be retired without data loss. Enterprise QLC will follow the same policy of adding more provisioning.

Also, when companies state write cycles and years of life for warranty they make sure they actually have margin far above that so the warranty is voided long before the drive ever fails (same with HDDs). So while they state 109GB per day, write cycles is more likely 150-200GB+ per day.
Abraham Lincoln
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7654 posts
2263 upvotes
Washington, DC
To put this in perspective, if you assume you will write 20GB every single day (unlikely), this drive will last for 27 years according to the warranty, but more than likely it will last for 50+ years.
Abraham Lincoln
Apr 16, 2011
425 posts
41 upvotes
Nice! Man...I am really just waiting for a 2TB internal SSD to go on sale for under $200, the minute that happens I will BITE.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1248 posts
274 upvotes
Thanks OP and posters! It really does look like 2019 is going to be a great year for storage deals, doesn't it? Big Black Friday sales on top of reduced prices are going to take this trend to the next level though, dont you think?

There should be some pretty impressive deals before then though . . .I hope that 970 EVO Plus prices absolutely tank because it seems like it is a great consumer drive even when full. If you don't plan on filling it the QLC drives offer better price/performance don't they?

Now we need some competition and oversupply in the GPU space and we will be cooking with gas! I am not holding my breath on that one though . . .
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7654 posts
2263 upvotes
Washington, DC
Having said this, this for $200 is a great price too. The endurance level is pure insanity.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 110a240610

Max Sequential Read
Up to 3480 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 3000 MBps
4KB Random Read
Up to 610,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write
Up to 570,000 IOPS
MTBF
1,800,000 hours

Features

Endurance: 1,700 TBW
Abraham Lincoln