Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K UHD LED Monitor, 3840 x 2160, 5ms, HDCP 2.2, HDMI, DisplayPort, AMD FreeSync, On-Screen $389.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2019 1:37 am
Feb 4, 2014
179 posts
132 upvotes
Edmonton
Doebird wrote: the colours on the VA look warmer and nicer? am I mistaken?
Color temperature has nothing to do with panel types. The main difference is that the high contrast makes games look much more 3D and realistic on VA panels. A quote from RTINGS that I agree with 100%:

"Contrast is the most important factor in picture quality. While neither of these LCD technologies will achieve the black levels of OLED, some are better than others.

VA technology is far beyond IPS panels when it comes to contrast. Blacks are far darker, and it shows. When in a dark environment, blacks will appear gray on IPS TVs, substantially diminishing the experience. VA contrast ratios usually range from 3000:1 to 6000:1, IPS typically have contrast ratios closer to 1000:1. Because of this, VA LCDs will always top our Movie ratings, only surpassed by OLEDs. This only impairs the dark room performance, though, since the difference is far less visible in a bright environment."
Jul 20, 2018
395 posts
298 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: It was by third party (account is less than 1 year old), so i don't think it would ship.

Mine was shipped today.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1180 posts
471 upvotes
Montreal, QC
parshakov wrote: What's wrong with VA? I much prefer VA to IPS for it's deep blacks and the lack of IPS glow. Not everyone needs wide viewing angles.

I think the price is good, but not super hot. I'm using a 40" VA TV (Samsung NU7100) that I got for $345 and I love it both as a TV and a monitor. LG 32UD59-B has an advantage of being a proper monitor with a proper monitor stand, neck-friendly size, flicker-free backlight, decent reflection handling, DisplayPort, FreeSync, and Screen Split. Wide color gamut is a bonus, but the monitor lacks HDR, so you are not going to get the highest quality 10-bit streaming when watching Netflix (this matters even when the peak brightness is only 300 nits).
Can someone explain to me why people like using a DisplayPort connector?

I only have hooked up laptops to monitors and have only ever had DVI and now HDMI.

Is there a difference from hooking up with DisplayPort vs with HDMI?

Thanks
Feb 4, 2014
179 posts
132 upvotes
Edmonton
reggielist wrote: Can someone explain to me why people like using a DisplayPort connector?

I only have hooked up laptops to monitors and have only ever had DVI and now HDMI.

Thanks
DisplayPort can do 10bit 4K60 4:4:4 , whereas HDMI 2.0 cannot. HDMI 2.1 can but it's a very new standard and can only be found on expensive TVs. Pre-2015 computers can do 4K60 only over DP because they lack HDMI 2.0.
In addition, GPUs normally have one HDMI port and three DPs, so it's easier to setup multiple monitors with DP.
Last edited by parshakov on Sep 14th, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2014
623 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto, ON
reggielist wrote: Can someone explain to me why people like using a DisplayPort connector?

Thanks
DP supports higher refresh rate, such as 144Hz at 1440p. HDMI 2.0 is also capable of the same refresh rate, but not all monitors support HDMI 2.0. DP is also required for Nvidia card to utilize Freesync monitor. Therefore, it's better all around to use DP since is more compatible with recent hardware.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1180 posts
471 upvotes
Montreal, QC
LockAndKey wrote: DP supports higher refresh rate, such as 144Hz at 1440p. HDMI 2.0 is also capable of the same refresh rate, but not all monitors support HDMI 2.0. DP is also required for Nvidia card to utilize Freesync monitor. Therefore, it's better all around to use DP since is more compatible with recent hardware.
Perfect explanation. Thank you!!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1180 posts
471 upvotes
Montreal, QC
parshakov wrote: DisplayPort can do 10bit 4K60 4:4:4 , whereas HDMI 2.0 cannot. HDMI 2.1 can but it's a very new standard and can only be found on expensive TVs. Pre-2015 computers can do 4K60 only over DP because they lack HDMI 2.0.
In addition, GPUs normally have one HDMI port and three DPs, so it's easier to setup multiple monitors with DP.
Perfect explanation. Thank you!!
Sep 23, 2014
623 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Freebush wrote: Too bad missed this one AOC Agon AG273QCX 27" curved VA 144hz 1440p 1ms monitor (186.95) [amazon.ca]

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... urce=share
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: Mine was shipped today.
Looks like it's a shit show over at Reddit, seller doesn't wanna ship the item at all and issuing refund. @Freebush consider yourself lucky to not have to deal with this sketchy AF seller, @TURNIPtheBEET good luck dude, i hope Amazon can sort it out for you.
Last edited by LockAndKey on Sep 19th, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 29, 2009
550 posts
153 upvotes
I found the viewing angles on the VA panel distracting. Greys look very shimmery because the difference between how they look in one eye vs the other is too strong. In the end I returned it and bought a 27" IPS UHD.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1108 posts
404 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If this is 144Mhz then it will be a hot deal
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1557 posts
646 upvotes
jacky190424 wrote: If this is 144Mhz then it will be a hot deal
Does such a thing even exist at 4K? If it does you're gonna need a pretty hefty GPU setup to run it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)