• May 5th, 2021 6:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2644 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto

[Canada Computers] MSI GF65 Laptop, i5-10300H, RTX 3060 8GB DDR4 $1300

MSI GF65 Thin Gaming Notebook - 15.6" FHD 144Hz Intel Core i5-10300H - RTX3060, 8GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD - Windows 10, VR Ready, GF65 10UE-204CA Thin

Seems to be the cheapest RTX 3060 I can find. Any other laptop will be an extra $400+.

Any thoughts on this?
Thread Summary
If you're looking for a new computer for school or work, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best laptops for students!
15 replies
May 15, 2012
634 posts
318 upvotes
NORTH YORK
https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GF65- ... 258.0.html

Pros
+ easy serviceability (2x SODIMM, 2x M.2 2280)
+ respectable core temperatures when gaming
+ relatively lightweight for its category
+ 144 Hz refresh rate standard
+ narrow side bezels
+ high contrast ratio
+ affordable

Cons
- below-average CPU and GPU performance (unless Cooler Boost is active)
- USB-C ports do not support Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, or Power Delivery
- very loud when Cooler Boost is active
- limited color space and brightness
- relatively slow recharge rate
Jun 17, 2018
373 posts
682 upvotes
Specs: https://ca.msi.com/Laptop/GF65-Thin-10UX/Specification

Crappy set of ports. Since other laptops in this class have a much better set of ports, that makes this poor value for money. On the other hand, this is a RTX 3060 laptop at $1,300 available for immediate purchase. If that (price and availability) is what you need, there aren't many options right now. This may be the only one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2644 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
ericornucopia wrote: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GF65- ... 258.0.html

Cons
- below-average CPU and GPU performance (unless Cooler Boost is active)
- USB-C ports do not support Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, or Power Delivery
- very loud when Cooler Boost is active
- limited color space and brightness
- relatively slow recharge rate
Does that mean I would not be able to connect an hdmi to usb c adapter for my monitor? I was thinking of having TWO monitors connected to the laptop.
May 15, 2012
634 posts
318 upvotes
NORTH YORK
blitzforce wrote: Does that mean I would not be able to connect an hdmi to usb c adapter for my monitor? I was thinking of having TWO monitors connected to the laptop.
I believe so. Not all usb c supports it.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1157 posts
541 upvotes
Under specd CPU and RAM. Sure you can upgrade the RAM but not the CPU. You probably should spend a bit more if your buying the latest GPU and get either a 11th gen or R7 with 16Gb. Yes, I know it may be $300-$400 more but you do not want to regret your purchase in a few months. MSI and Asus have better specd 3060. 8Gb is VR ready but not very good, I would suggest you need 16Gb RAM for decent VR and we have a Occulus VR so from experience.
This one for example is $1599 and has a 11th gen i7 and 16Gb. Also has a displayport and Thunderbolt 4 plus USB C with power delivery. So for $300 more you get 16Gb v/s 8Gb, a 11th gen i7 v/s10th gen and better selection of ports. Well worth the $300 more IMHO.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... lsrc=3p.ds
You can look for the MSI version too.
These models sell out constantly.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14565 posts
5193 upvotes
London
Hmm

I've got people offering me $1400 right now for 3070

I rarely play PC games.. maybe I should buy this and sell that
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2644 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
ericornucopia wrote: I believe so. Not all usb c supports it.
So display port is mandatory if I want to connect a monitor to a usb c port?

The laptop comes with 1 hdmi and usb c port. I wanted to connect one monitor to HDMI, and another to usb c via an adapter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2644 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
ericornucopia wrote: https://www.benq.com/en-ap/knowledge-ce ... -mode.html

You may refer to this article, which explains the related USB-C DisplayPort (DP Alt Mode)...
Thank you for the read. I guess USB C 3.2 Gen 1 only supports data transfer.....I guess I will go with the cheaper Dell G5 15 laptops:

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... cs_section
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2644 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
ShadowVlican wrote: Great article, just goes to show how unnecessarily confusing USB C really is... Imagine explaining this to customers when they ask why such and such doesn't work...
Not sure they they need to make a simple port so complicated. I was just about to make the purchase because $1300 for Rtx 3060 seems like the best deal possible too.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2184 posts
2045 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote: So display port is mandatory if I want to connect a monitor to a usb c port?

The laptop comes with 1 hdmi and usb c port. I wanted to connect one monitor to HDMI, and another to usb c via an adapter.
You should still be able to hook another using display link - thats how those docks connect normally. but unlikely to get like a high frequency monitor to work properly...
ShadowVlican wrote: Great article, just goes to show how unnecessarily confusing USB C really is... Imagine explaining this to customers when they ask why such and such doesn't work...
blitzforce wrote: Not sure they they need to make a simple port so complicated. I was just about to make the purchase because $1300 for Rtx 3060 seems like the best deal possible too.

eh, usb-c is just the connector. how it's used changes a lot. Like Rj45 connector is the same since pretty much ever, and but the cat5/5a/6/6a/7/7a cables have been evolving - starting with 100mb, and now have 10gb ...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2644 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
neonic wrote: You should still be able to hook another using display link - thats how those docks connect normally. but unlikely to get like a high frequency monitor to work properly...

Aren't those displaylink docks very expensive? I just don't want to spent too much on a laptop and have to purchase a bunch of other peripherals to make it work.

eh, usb-c is just the connector. how it's used changes a lot. Like Rj45 connector is the same since pretty much ever, and but the cat5/5a/6/6a/7/7a cables have been evolving - starting with 100mb, and now have 10gb ...
Jun 17, 2018
373 posts
682 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: Aren't those displaylink docks very expensive? I just don't want to spent too much on a laptop and have to purchase a bunch of other peripherals to make it work.
Yes, the DisplayLink docks that can drive a monitor at 4K/UHD at 60 Hz are very expensive and still have major limitations. Like I said above, the ports on this laptop are awful. If you need to rely on, or even occasionally use, the ports, run, don't walk, away from this laptop. Even after spending hundreds of additional dollars, you will not get full functionality, but you will get a headache.
Aug 11, 2014
584 posts
472 upvotes
FunnyGamer wrote: Yes, the DisplayLink docks that can drive a monitor at 4K/UHD at 60 Hz are very expensive and still have major limitations. Like I said above, the ports on this laptop are awful. If you need to rely on, or even occasionally use, the ports, run, don't walk, away from this laptop. Even after spending hundreds of additional dollars, you will not get full functionality, but you will get a headache.
I agree with this. Even though I haven't had to use them all at the same time yet, my current laptop has 1 HDMI out, 1 miniDP out, and 1 USB-C DP out all capable of 4K60, which is desirable if your needs require the full functionality of multiple outputs.