• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3862 posts
1268 upvotes

[Canada Computers] be quiet! SYSTEM POWER U9 PSU 400W $39.99 - 500W $49.99

Do not use for a 3090 or high end gaming PC, but it's a good budget PSU.

It is the only DC-DC PSU I've recently come across in this price range.

I bought these to replace junk PSUs that came in a few prebuilts.

400WATT @ $39.99
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=162395

TIER C PSU
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list/

PS yes CC is trash but for this item, price is alright.
Last edited by JonSnow on Aug 22nd, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
27 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33175 posts
14972 upvotes
This thing has DC-DC and is still Bronze? Odd. Seems alright though given PSU prices have gone sky high for years now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3862 posts
1268 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: I've been burned by Canada Computers return policy. Cross your fingers when you buy so you don't get a lemon that you can't return to the store.
I only buy items from CC that have the least chance of being a lemon, PSU i would say are safe bet.

At least few PSUs I've bought so far.
ES_Revenge wrote: This thing has DC-DC and is still Bronze? Odd. Seems alright though given PSU prices have gone sky high for years now.
DC-DC vs Group Regulated does not equal efficiency.
Last edited by JonSnow on Aug 22nd, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20410 posts
8798 upvotes
Toronto
If you get a lemon you can exchange for the same item. PSU prices are reasonable plenty of good options available.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33175 posts
14972 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: DC-DC vs Group Regulated does not equal efficiency.
Clearly. But, OTOH, it's unlikely to get to Gold or better #s without DC-DC. There are probably some PSUs here or there (likely older) that can do it but almost everything these days that is Gold, Platinum, better, has DC-DC for the other-than-12V lines.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2018
1019 posts
1911 upvotes
Don't use a 400w power supply for a 3090?

Thanks for the great, impossible advice TS.

In regards to this product.

Never, ever, even in a fire, cheap out on a PSU.
Dec 28, 2018
241 posts
243 upvotes
l4c2k1
Probably a safer bet than a Gigabyte power supply anyways!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3862 posts
1268 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: Don't use a 400w power supply for a 3090?

Thanks for the great, impossible advice TS.

In regards to this product.

Never, ever, even in a fire, cheap out on a PSU.
Using a 400/500 watt PSU with a 3090 is asking for trouble is it not? I think that's solid advise Face With Tears Of Joy as you clearly missed the sarcasm.

Now as to this PSU, why does cheap = bad?

I understand the hate for Canada Computers but this is a decent PSU for its price, most of the $50 PSUs are not documented or reviewed by experts that know what they are talking about but this one is, so why is it bad?

I don't need a gold or platinum Tier A PSU for a $300 prebuilt.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2018
1019 posts
1911 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Using a 400/500 watt PSU with a 3090 is asking for trouble is it not? I think that's solid advise Face With Tears Of Joy as you clearly missed the sarcasm.

Now as to this PSU, why does cheap = bad?

I understand the hate for Canada Computers but this is a decent PSU for its price, most of the $50 PSUs are not documented or reviewed by experts that know what they are talking about but this one is, so why is it bad?

I don't need a gold or platinum Tier A PSU for a $300 prebuilt.

It's low graded (piece of shit), no mod cables, won't be able to use it in any other build due to low wattage (can barely use it now), bronze.

The PSU is the most important part of the computer. Why would you cheap out on whats powering your expensive components?

And to the 3090 comment, it isn't even possible to turn on a 3090 with this PSU, so it just makes it appear like you didn't know what you were talking about.
Dec 28, 2018
241 posts
243 upvotes
l4c2k1
This would be perfectly fine as a replacement for an older system or a HTPC. I have been waiting for something like this for a while since I missed the last deal Amazon had on EGVA 400W power supplys. This is probably even better for my HTPC coming from be quiet, the last thing I want is some noisy power supply.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3862 posts
1268 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: It's low graded (piece of shit), no mod cables, won't be able to use it in any other build due to low wattage (can barely use it now), bronze.

The PSU is the most important part of the computer. Why would you cheap out on whats powering your expensive components?

And to the 3090 comment, it isn't even possible to turn on a 3090 with this PSU, so it just makes it appear like you didn't know what you were talking about.
What makes it low grade based on what evidence is this PSU a piece of shit?

That 3090 comment was for people like you that will bash the product without actually knowing what's inside, its perfectly adequate for its intended usage.

The Gigabyte’s GP-P750GM and 850GM is a GOLD certified modular PSUs but they also explode, so just because it gold and modular does not make it better.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
]I gamed with a 6800Xt on the fractal 660P.

You could probably run the 6700xt, 3060ti, 3060 and possibly the 3070 on the 500W.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1443 posts
734 upvotes
Vancouver
I think it depends on the pre-built, but the PSUs used might not be all that bad considering they are probably being used at a low load. Not sure if it's worth just replacing a PSU outright without giving it room for future expansion.

If you want a bit of headroom to add a graphics card, the XPG Core Reactor 650W on clearance at CC for $79.99 is a great unit as well for the price.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=183349
Dec 28, 2018
241 posts
243 upvotes
l4c2k1
A lot of office systems will run off a 400W PS for years no problem. My HTPC which is about 13-14 years old now has always had a 400W in it. When I built it that was the norm for power supplys. I don't even remember power supplys having high wattage ratings back then like they do today. Even my last system I built in 2017 has a 500W EVGA power supply in it but I am not a gamer, nor do I have a video card that is worth more than the cpu lol. This is what these power supplies are intended for, not for gamers obviously.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3862 posts
1268 upvotes
someone16 wrote: I think it depends on the pre-built, but the PSUs used might not be all that bad considering they are probably being used at a low load. Not sure if it's worth just replacing a PSU outright without giving it room for future expansion.

If you want a bit of headroom to add a graphics card, the XPG Core Reactor 650W on clearance at CC for $79.99 is a great unit as well for the price.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=183349
You are correct, probably is better to have more headroom with GPU for a gaming PC. The prebuilt I have replaced these with don't have GPUs and had unknown PSUs , but even 500W is high for those computers as it is basically a office computer.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2018
1019 posts
1911 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: What makes it low grade based on what evidence is this PSU a piece of shit?

That 3090 comment was for people like you that will bash the product without actually knowing what's inside, its perfectly adequate for its intended usage.

The Gigabyte’s GP-P750GM and 850GM is a GOLD certified modular PSUs but they also explode, so just because it gold and modular does not make it better.

When talking about tier rankings, im not talking about bronze, gold or plat... and since you don't know what a tier ranking is, you definitely know anything about PSUs. I'm only trying to help you by not putting this in your system. This PSU is a Tier-C graded component. There's plenty of better budget options out there if you really do want to make a mistake. and cheap out on a PSU

Ps* a 3090 isn't even going to power on with less than 700w, considering other components.

That's why your post makes no sense.

Edit* it looks like it may even be a tier D. It's just down right awful.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3862 posts
1268 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: When talking about tier rankings, im not talking about bronze, gold or plat... and since you don't know what a tier ranking is, you definitely know anything about PSUs. I'm only trying to help you by not putting this in your system. This PSU is a Tier-C graded component. There's plenty of better budget options out there if you really do want to make a mistake. and cheap out on a PSU

Ps* a 3090 isn't even going to power on with less than 700w, considering other components.

That's why your post makes no sense.

Edit* it looks like it may even be a tier D. It's just down right awful.
You clearly didn't read OP after 3090 comment so why do I need a $100+ gold modular PSU for a low end prebuilt with no GPU or HTPC with no or low end GPU?

Here is the teardown, its perfectly FINE for my use case.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,6035.html

The review and the model are the same. CC list it with the article # BN607 but the model is SU9-500.
Last edited by JonSnow on Aug 22nd, 2021 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1113 posts
59 upvotes
Thornhill
Would this be good enough for AMD Ryzen 5600G, B550M board system with no GPU?