Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER U9 PSU 400W $39.99 - 500W $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 1:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5119 posts
2853 upvotes
GTA
Maybe put 500W PSU in the title, no one knows what a system power u9 is.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3649 posts
4262 upvotes
Prince George
KevinT277396 wrote: The PSU is the most important part of the computer. Why would you cheap out on whats powering your expensive components?
This is not intended to power expensive components. You are not the target market. Move along, nothing to see here.
Aug 27, 2017
92 posts
68 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: Never ever, ever, even in a fire, cheap out on a PSU.
So you are saying never buy a power supply that is on sale, only buy at full price?

Cheap price isn't the same thing as Cheap quality.

Maybe I'm mistaken as I'm not familiar with this model but be quiet! used to have a very good reputation for making solid PSUs.

Not everyone puts a premium on modular cables and gold+ ratings.

I've got an i5 9400 with a 1080GTX on a 450W PSU, I've never seen it draw over 350W from the wall (and I've checked). Which puts me under 75% and close to the highest efficiency range for most PSUs. The 500W version can run any mainstream processor and GPU, 400W would be better with a GPU with a lower TDP - like one that gets power direct from the motherboard rather than a dedicated line from the PSU.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20559 posts
9075 upvotes
Toronto
Reality is that you don't need 1000W or 1200W power supplies, those are overkill in most cases.
Penalty Box
Jan 1, 2018
1236 posts
2303 upvotes
cheapinMB wrote: So you are saying never buy a power supply that is on sale, only buy at full price?

Cheap price isn't the same thing as Cheap quality.

Maybe I'm mistaken as I'm not familiar with this model but be quiet! used to have a very good reputation for making solid PSUs.

Not everyone puts a premium on modular cables and gold+ ratings.

I've got an i5 9400 with a 1080GTX on a 450W PSU, I've never seen it draw over 350W from the wall (and I've checked). Which puts me under 75% and close to the highest efficiency range for most PSUs. The 500W version can run any mainstream processor and GPU, 400W would be better with a GPU with a lower TDP - like one that gets power direct from the motherboard rather than a dedicated line from the PSU.

Where did I say you only buy a power supply full price? That doesn't even make sense.

The problem is this is a tier d power supply. It's literal garbage. It's not something you spend $25 dollars less on. You can get a tier A 500w on sale for $75 no problem and enjoy it for 10 years.

Putting a 450w psu with a 1080 wasn't a genius idea either. You're saying you run at 75 percent. There's no way. Under a stress test I bet you're closer to 90. And you should never go over 80 on a PSU. Maybe if you're undervolting and not stressing the computer, but no expert would recommend running a 450w psu on a 1080gpu.
Aug 27, 2017
92 posts
68 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: Where did I say you only buy a power supply full price? That doesn't even make sense.

The problem is this is a tier d power supply. It's literal garbage. It's not something you spend $25 dollars less on. You can get a tier A 500w on sale for $75 no problem and enjoy it for 10 years.

Putting a 450w psu with a 1080 wasn't a genius idea either. You're saying you run at 75 percent. There's no way. Under a stress test I bet you're closer to 90. And you should never go over 80 on a PSU. Maybe if you're undervolting and not stressing the computer, but no expert would recommend running a 450w psu on a 1080gpu.
You said it in the words I quoted from your post. Never, ever, ever cheap out on a PSU.

Tom's hardware says not a bad PSU at the price and noticeablely quieter that the similar Corsair unit (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,6035.html). That said I can't quickly find (and I'm not going to bother really searching) for other reviews.

I've run stress tests and don't exceed 350W from the wall. Honest. Both my kill-a-watt meter and my UPS agree that's the system draw while running CPU and GPU synthetic stress tests. Gaming I've never seen over 300W.

i5-9400 has 65W TDP + 180W for the 1080 GTX = 240W few watts each for MOBO, SSD and single HDD is right around 275W ÷ 80% efficiency and look at that... Just about 350W from the wall.
Penalty Box
Jan 1, 2018
1236 posts
2303 upvotes
cheapinMB wrote: You said it in the words I quoted from your post. Never, ever, ever cheap out on a PSU.

Tom's hardware says not a bad PSU at the price and noticeablely quieter that the similar Corsair unit (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,6035.html). That said I can't quickly find (and I'm not going to bother really searching) for other reviews.

I've run stress tests and don't exceed 350W from the wall. Honest. Both my kill-a-watt meter and my UPS agree that's the system draw while running CPU and GPU synthetic stress tests. Gaming I've never seen over 300W.

i5-9400 has 65W TDP + 180W for the 1080 GTX = 240W few watts each for MOBO, SSD and single HDD is right around 275W ÷ 80% efficiency and look at that... Just about 350W from the wall.

Never ever cheap out on a power supply, means never buy a power supply on sale...?!?!

What?

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... _gtx_1080/

You won't find anything on Google saying put less than a 500w psu with a 1080.

I just do this for a living, you do whatever you want with your components though.
Aug 27, 2017
92 posts
68 upvotes
Little bit of sarcasm my friend. Your first post didn't say anything about the quality - just 'never cheap out on a PSU' so I was poking a bit of fun.

Yes I know I'm at the very, very low end of PSU wattage for my system. That's exactly why after i built it, I used two different measuring tools and synthetic benchmarks to make sure that my PSU could run the system.

That Reddit thread seems to advise 500W at the low end without knowing anything about the other components. 2y+ ago there were a lot more 95W+ CPUs out there and if running multiple 3.5" HDDs along with case lighting or other additional power draw, 450W PSU probably wouldn't work.