Canada Computers Refused to Refund Me for a DOA 3090

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2020 4:16 pm
[OP]
Oct 23, 2019
48 posts
22 upvotes

Canada Computers Refused to Refund Me for a DOA 3090

On Oct 29th (just one day after AMD's event), I received a phone call from the local store and I have been informed that my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra card has arrived. I then went there and purchased it. And, just after 2 days, this graphic card is completely dead. There is no output, and Windows doesn't even recognize it. But fans and RGB is still working.

I then contacted the local store, and I have been informed that I cannot return it since the box is opened, but exchange only. However, the card is back-ordered, and they have no idea when I can get my replacement. I also looked up online and looks like a lot of EVGA users are having the exact same issue (https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RT ... 13-p2.aspx). It convinced me that this model of cards is facing a serious product quality issue. I then tried to contact my local store again, and I have been told that the store is closed, and nobody knows when it will reopen and why it is closed. I contacted another store which is the 2nd close to my home, they said they can do nothing, I can only wait for my local store to reopen. What a ridiculous story! I cannot return a product which is DOA, and the replacement is also unavailable.

The funny thing is, I just remember that when I purchased the card, their staff told me that this card had some issues and a lot of people have to wait 4 months to get a replacement. He highly recommends me to buy their protection plan, which is $300ish. When I need to replace it, they can just refund me, instead of waiting.

I just want to say that F word to Canada Computers. Any advice, please?
66 replies
Aug 20, 2009
8363 posts
3333 upvotes
Tell them you're giving them a chance to refund it before issuing a credit card chargeback. Any time they try to hassle me I just calmly tell them those are the options. If they don't satisfy you then just call your CC company.

Never shop at CC with a debit card unless it has similar protection.
Nov 14, 2008
817 posts
281 upvotes
From the forum it says there is a bad batch of video cards
I'd wait it out..
Dont buy any protection plan
https://www.canadacomputers.com/policie ... hanges.php
here is says they will deal with the manufacturer for defects

Check if you Credit Card company will do what the poster above said..
RobinX34696 wrote: On Oct 29th (just one day after AMD's event), I received a phone call from the local store and I have been informed that my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra card has arrived. I then went there and purchased it. And, just after 2 days, this graphic card is completely dead. There is no output, and Windows doesn't even recognize it. But fans and RGB is still working.

I then contacted the local store, and I have been informed that I cannot return it since the box is opened, but exchange only. However, the card is back-ordered, and they have no idea when I can get my replacement. I also looked up online and looks like a lot of EVGA users are having the exact same issue (https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RT ... 13-p2.aspx). It convinced me that this model of cards is facing a serious product quality issue. I then tried to contact my local store again, and I have been told that the store is closed, and nobody knows when it will reopen and why it is closed. I contacted another store which is the 2nd close to my home, they said they can do nothing, I can only wait for my local store to reopen. What a ridiculous story! I cannot return a product which is DOA, and the replacement is also unavailable.

The funny thing is, I just remember that when I purchased the card, their staff told me that this card had some issues and a lot of people have to wait 4 months to get a replacement. He highly recommends me to buy their protection plan, which is $300ish. When I need to replace it, they can just refund me, instead of waiting.

I just want to say that F word to Canada Computers. Any advice, please?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3332 upvotes
speak with the manager. the usual rep will keep repeating the same thing as it is their normal rules but the manager might be willing to give it a exception to deal directly himself with the warranty.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2435 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
you bought it from Canada Computers, should've known what you were getting into
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
343 upvotes
Milton
johnmoon wrote: you bought it from Canada Computers, should've known what you were getting into
Is there or has there ever been a computer parts retailer that actually had customer-favourable policies and service? They all seem to actively despise their customers.

I still can't believe Newegg charges you on shipping for everything, or how common "restocking fees" still are at most if not all of them.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2259 posts
1312 upvotes
Calgary
Memory Express also says it’s Final Sale for the RTX 3000 cards. This isn’t just a Canada Computers issue here. Defective units will be exchanged for the same product only.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2711 posts
1441 upvotes
London
every time I've bought something they always make it a point to tell that once u open it that its exchange only they also have a stamp they stamp your invoice with before they hand it to u. at least at the one here in London.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4687 posts
4762 upvotes
Vancouver
Redmask wrote: Tell them you're giving them a chance to refund it before issuing a credit card chargeback. Any time they try to hassle me I just calmly tell them those are the options. If they don't satisfy you then just call your CC company.
Has it ever worked in your experience to try to carry through with that chargeback process? People throw that threat around a lot, but the credit card companies can be pretty resistant about actually allowing a chargeback to a legit retailer. My understanding is that in a case like this they would say it is clearly a warranty issue, not eligible for chargeback.

However, the OP might want to check if their credit card has purchase insurance, which typically offers to repair or replace lost or damaged items purchased with the credit card for 90 days. I suspect that will prove to be a bust too, but worth checking as an option. Usually the insurer tries to weasel out and make claims difficult - they may put you through a longer process than going through Canada Computers or the manufacturer warranty.
Aug 20, 2009
8363 posts
3333 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Has it ever worked in your experience to try to carry through with that chargeback process? People throw that threat around a lot, but the credit card companies can be pretty resistant about actually allowing a chargeback to a legit retailer. My understanding is that in a case like this they would say it is clearly a warranty issue, not eligible for chargeback.
Yes, in my life I've done a handful of chargebacks and never had an issue. I call up Mastercard, explain the situation, they ask some questions and sometimes tell me someone will investigate. One time I received a call asking additional questions and that was it. All of them went in my favor and the funds were returned right away. Some merchants try a lot of underhanded things and often put unreasonable things in terms of sale. For example their official policy says returns are valid for 15 days and manufacturing defects get replaced. They can either give him another $1500 videocard or refund the money because the lack of replacement is a fault on their end and not a customer concern.

In my experience the opposite of what you said is true - credit card issuers only care about keeping you spending money and care little for the merchants. I don't abuse this state of things but if a merchant isn't being fair then I'm not afraid to play the card.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13910 posts
5524 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why doesn't the OP contact EVGA and get the card RMA'ed and replaced that way?
[OP]
Oct 23, 2019
48 posts
22 upvotes
Redmask wrote: Tell them you're giving them a chance to refund it before issuing a credit card chargeback. Any time they try to hassle me I just calmly tell them those are the options. If they don't satisfy you then just call your CC company.

Never thought I can do that. Thank you, I will try. But another problem is that I cannot contact them at all since they are closed...
[OP]
Oct 23, 2019
48 posts
22 upvotes
waven101 wrote: speak with the manager. the usual rep will keep repeating the same thing as it is their normal rules but the manager might be willing to give it a exception to deal directly himself with the warranty.
I also tried, but they are closed for no reason.
johnmoon wrote: you bought it from Canada Computers, should've known what you were getting into
Well, never knew that before.
Devhux wrote: Memory Express also says it’s Final Sale for the RTX 3000 cards. This isn’t just a Canada Computers issue here. Defective units will be exchanged for the same product only.
I know that, but this one is not just a random defective product, and also they cannot offer me an exchange right now.
rvs007 wrote: Why doesn't the OP contact EVGA and get the card RMA'ed and replaced that way?
Because they don't even have it in stocks.
Aug 20, 2009
8363 posts
3333 upvotes
RobinX34696 wrote: Never thought I can do that. Thank you, I will try. But another problem is that I cannot contact them at all since they are closed...
Obviously try to work it out with them first. Often times the threat of a CC chargeback to a manager is enough to get the wheels moving, they hate dealing with them and they usually result in a call from head office. But don't take any guff either. Their own return policy on their website states 15 day returns or direct exchange of manufacturer defects. If they can't provide an exchange then the onus is on them to make it right, they can't just leave you holding the bag if you're within the 15 day period. That's my perspective anyway, obviously others might have different opinions and you should consider their advice too.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13195 posts
2432 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
FYI, DOA = dead on arrival, not "dead after using it for two days".
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12371 posts
3526 upvotes
I can't believe a mod is suggesting fraud as the solution.

This clearly isn't a DOA situation,
And, just after 2 days, this graphic card is completely dead. There is no output, and Windows doesn't even recognize it. But fans and RGB is still working.
If someone used a card for 2 days, then its not dead on arrival.

What you are suggesting is FRAUD.

[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Apr 8, 2020
405 posts
411 upvotes
I'm confused.

They have massive signs in my local CC that says no refunds, exchange only.

So they're offering that, otherwise you take it up with the manufacturer.

This is pretty common. If you don't like it, buy from Costco, Best Buy or Amazon.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4687 posts
4762 upvotes
Vancouver
Jokerpersona wrote: I'm confused.

They have massive signs in my local CC that says no refunds, exchange only.
The OP says they couldn't exchange it because there is no stock available, and CC have now closed the local store and aren't dealing with it.
Aug 20, 2009
8363 posts
3333 upvotes
sexyj wrote: I can't believe a mod is suggesting fraud as the solution.

This clearly isn't a DOA situation,

If someone used a card for 2 days, then its not dead on arrival.

What you are suggesting is FRAUD.
Nowhere here did I suggest fraud. It should really go without saying that he needs to return the card regardless of how things proceed.

From their own website:

CanadaComputers Return Policy
● Video Card
15 Days Return or Exchange.
30 Days exchange for manufacturer defects
The onus is on them to process the exchange and make things right, according to their own policy. All I suggested was that he speak to a manager and if necessary threaten a chargeback because right now he's getting the runaround. He can't simply wait for his store to reopen as he can run out both the return and the exchange period, leaving him totally reliant on direct manufacturer support.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12371 posts
3526 upvotes
Then the op can wait til there is stock and ask for an exchange.

What you are suggesting IS fraud.

A retailer is not obligated to refund you.
Redmask wrote: Nowhere here did I suggest fraud. It should really go without saying that he needs to return the card regardless of how things proceed.

From their own website:

CanadaComputers Return Policy

The onus is on them to process the exchange and make things right, according to their own policy. All I suggested was that he speak to a manager and if necessary threaten a chargeback because right now he's getting the runaround. He can't simply wait for his store to reopen as he can run out both the return and the exchange period, leaving him totally reliant on direct manufacturer support.
Last edited by sexyj on Nov 4th, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.