Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive $99.99

Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London

[Canada Computers] Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive $99.99

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive $99.99

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=111620
21 replies
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
I've only ever had three hard drives fail on me- one of them was a first gen. OCZ SSD, and the other two were Seagate HDDs. Why should I trust Seagate when their drives have such a high failure rate? Then again, WD Drives have a proprietary connect that I will have to replace if the drive fails and I want my data.

[Inappropriate signature]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2200 upvotes
Not a bad price, the WD MyBook was selling for $89.99 + email coupon discount (if you were lucky enough) at The Source just a month or so ago.
May 15, 2011
58 posts
54 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote: how is this unit for shucking?
Depending on if they kept the same model... (they have been known to change models...)

Previous deal thread

So there is a good chance it's this one:
DM004 for 125.99

If you want to try and identify prior to shucking, a utility like CrystalDiskInfo might work?
(might not as the drive is 'behind' the USB interface) but I have seen it work.

The risk would be if they changed to a soldered on USB interface. (which I think only Western Digital does..)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
Seagate drive w/1y warranty... Oh boy...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Dec 7, 2013
906 posts
890 upvotes
Quebec
snipzy wrote: I've only ever had three hard drives fail on me- one of them was a first gen. OCZ SSD, and the other two were Seagate HDDs. Why should I trust Seagate when their drives have such a high failure rate? Then again, WD Drives have a proprietary connect that I will have to replace if the drive fails and I want my data.

Because that chart is missleading

The "high failure rate" 4tb Seagate drive is a desktop drive not meant to be used in server farms, let alone in drive farms, it's also a 90$ US drive

The super low failure HGST hms5c4040ble640 drive is an enterprise class drive meant for drive/server farms and retails for 300$ US

Backblaze always compares consumer level drives (which are cheap) with enterprise level drives from HGST, making them both pointless and thoroughly missleading and has been doing it since 2011 (the first report they published)

Edit : The reason Backblaze uses consumer level drives in their farms is because it's cheaper for them than using the enterprise ones. If you take the failure rate and apply it to the price per drive/TB you'll see why they go that route and also why the failure rates are so high, they stress them too much for what they've been designed to do and how they were designed to perform.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2014
1315 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can we take the drive out and use it for desktop?

$99 for 4tb seems like a good deal
Dec 25, 2010
771 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Seagate is trash. My ehd from them is making some weird scratching noises. Too scared to even plug it in lol.
Selling cheap textbooks & books. Price is negotiable!
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
What's the best deal on 2.5 and 3.5 drives in the last little while?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
vivibaby wrote: What's the best deal on 2.5 and 3.5 drives in the last little while?
BB had the 4TB 2.5" portable for $120 last week, and that's a far better deal than $100 for a 3.5".
Nov 30, 2013
37 posts
10 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
JackWhyte wrote: BB had the 4TB 2.5" portable for $120 last week, and that's a far better deal than $100 for a 3.5".
Depends how you look at it and use it. 30$ or 25$ per terabyte. WD or Seagate. If you need portability is $20 more worth it or do you plan to sunk it into a computer.
Feb 12, 2017
156 posts
202 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote: how is this unit for shucking?

the case's plastic latches are SUPER fragile, I shuck 4 of them and canNOT make a single perfect undamaged case...your choice.

Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2499 posts
991 upvotes
I got one of these at The source for $75...it was $100 but email sign up coupon of $25 off $100.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
joongpark wrote: Oops...it was WD My Book not Seagate.

the-source-wd-4tb-my-book-desktop-exter ... 9-2173258/
God for you... Also, they come w/2 or 3 years warranty as well...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
althegreat wrote: the case's plastic latches are SUPER fragile, I shuck 4 of them and canNOT make a single perfect undamaged case...your choice.
Functioning as expected, by design. (e.g. like those VOID warranty stickers)
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
RickyChamp wrote: Depends how you look at it and use it. 30$ or 25$ per terabyte. WD or Seagate. If you need portability is $20 more worth it or do you plan to sunk it into a computer.
Not really, as I can find desktop drives on sale regularly (for lower than this per GB), but portables are much harder to get on clearance and are significantly more flexible and useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2005
1275 posts
641 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
BB had the 4TB 2.5" portable for $120 last week, and that's a far better deal than $100 for a 3.5".
Hard to believe 4TB USB in 2.5" and at $120.
Source?
Just because it says portable does not mean it is 2.5" and that's a common misconception.

EDIT:
Seems like I'm really falling behind in technology trends. That is a fairly common price for a 4TB 2.5" form factor (and external). Thanks for pointing it out.
Last edited by theshowman on Apr 8th, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.