• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 10:59 am
[OP]
Jan 20, 2007
776 posts
33 upvotes

[Canada Computers] Sony RX100 MK1 399$

Order online and pick up in store.
I dont have a store locally, but I went to my local best buy and they offered to "almost" match to 425$ since there is no CC within 5 hours drive, which I gladly accepted.
64 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5619 posts
5029 upvotes
Big thread from back in Apr 2016 for those looking for reviews. It was $328 back then. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/hot-bes ... v-1963119/

I still use mine and I am still very happy with it. Sadly I dropped it for the first time in Jan. It left a dent, but it still functions normally. I probably would look around to see what $400 buys me now given it is >5years old.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1974 posts
516 upvotes
I am still using mine and extremely happy with it. Best P&S camera. My iPhone 8 camera doesn't come close especially when taking a picture in a dark room.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1345 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Given this came out 5 years ago and there is 5th iteration out there, I'm surprised this camera still commands $400 price tag...
Feb 19, 2010
520 posts
228 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Were these like $300 or less I would snag one in an instant just to play with.

But yeah, man the price on these are nuts still.
Dec 1, 2016
39 posts
26 upvotes
amazing how many people think a phone with its tiny lens and sensor with no optical zoom is a real camera. absolutely no comparison.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6576 posts
5314 upvotes
57chevie wrote: amazing how many people think a phone with its tiny lens and sensor with no optical zoom is a real camera. absolutely no comparison.
The best camera is the one in your hands. 99% of the time, that's your phone.

But yeah, if you really want to capture life's moments and don't want to wield a DSLR, RX100 is the next best thing.
Dec 1, 2016
39 posts
26 upvotes
i agree. i have several point and shoot, slr's and phones. i had a camera store for 30 years, the rx100 is one of the better compact pro choice compacts that is always in my pocket as well as phone. but only take convenient pic's on phone as last resort as not any comparison in quality to a real controllable camera. i just cant help noticing how many people go on a trip, or events for example and only take a phone. personally i would not want to trust precious memories on an unreliable limited life phone. anyway, i enjoy capturing images, controlling settings being creative like can do with a real camera like the sony where a phone with a camera falls way behind.
Nov 8, 2007
590 posts
252 upvotes
I'd rather spend a little more for a used MKIII (or MKII if you want hot shoe)
Jan 12, 2008
220 posts
71 upvotes
toronto
I have this camera and still see no reason to upgrade it as it takes some of the best pictures for it's size, even compared to a phone (which is getting larger these days). I believe the sensor is pretty much the same across all MKII-IV, it's just additional features that have been added over the years. I would be surprised if the picture quality was noticeably better in the newer models, but I have never done any comparisions. I think its the best compromise for picture quality and camera size, if you don't want to lug a DSLR and lens around.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5189 posts
1960 upvotes
Toronto
57chevie wrote: i agree. i have several point and shoot, slr's and phones. i had a camera store for 30 years, the rx100 is one of the better compact pro choice compacts that is always in my pocket as well as phone. but only take convenient pic's on phone as last resort as not any comparison in quality to a real controllable camera. i just cant help noticing how many people go on a trip, or events for example and only take a phone. personally i would not want to trust precious memories on an unreliable limited life phone. anyway, i enjoy capturing images, controlling settings being creative like can do with a real camera like the sony where a phone with a camera falls way behind.
A lot more people are just into the hype of "social media" portrayal.

So, its a lot easier to snap a picture with a smartphone that upload it to Instagram then to take a picture on an actual camera, edit (if need be), upload to phone and then post to Instagram.

However, the latest iPhones and Pixel phones are pretty good at capturing pictures, especially with the use of add on lenses to wide/telephoto needs. It's a lot easier than carrying a camera body and lenses.

The smartphone market is killing off the point and shoot, including pro-sumer versions.
Last edited by rebel_rfd on Feb 20th, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1070 posts
589 upvotes
Isn't the Canon G9X a better bang for your buck than the RX100MK1?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5189 posts
1960 upvotes
Toronto
headygouda wrote: I have this camera and still see no reason to upgrade it as it takes some of the best pictures for it's size, even compared to a phone (which is getting larger these days). I believe the sensor is pretty much the same across all MKII-IV, it's just additional features that have been added over the years. I would be surprised if the picture quality was noticeably better in the newer models, but I have never done any comparisions. I think its the best compromise for picture quality and camera size, if you don't want to lug a DSLR and lens around.
Differences

RX100 Updates

There are mirrorless bodies that one can carry around for travel purposes that weight much less than a dSLR.
Sony and Fuji offer great options.
May 26, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes
Neo_ZX wrote: I'd rather spend a little more for a used MKIII (or MKII if you want hot shoe)
The important phrase is "a little more", as there really hasn't been improvment in IQ. As someone has said before, you are paying for new features (and a different lens). Bought the MKII about 4 years ago (after MKIII came out) for about $599 and it's been great. I have no thought of upgrading considering how expensive the latest models are and no significant IQ improvment. If anything, may consider upgrading to the Panasonic LX10 if my RX100 dies as it's a bit cheaper option.
Frankly, if you don't care about the new features, MKI or MKII is good enough comparably.
Last edited by cinderedmonkey on Feb 20th, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: Differences

RX100 Updates

There are mirrorless bodies that one can carry around for travel purposes that weight much less than a dSLR.
Sony and Fuji offer great options.
Nothing that is remotely close to the RX100 in size. The closest you can get is the Panasonic GM1 or GM5 but unless you stick a pancake lens on it (thankfully the are several) it's not remotely pocketable (and even then, I'm stretching it).
Last edited by cinderedmonkey on Feb 20th, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes
shahram0 wrote: Isn't the Canon G9X a better bang for your buck than the RX100MK1?
As far as I can tell, the lens on the Canon isn't as good as the ones on the Sony's. Also have less features. Still, they are good cameras and definitely better bang for the buck. They (subjective) supposedly have better interface as well (not hard actually because I think everyone does...).
Last edited by cinderedmonkey on Feb 20th, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15287 posts
6685 upvotes
Ottawa
still a good camera for the price. The newer ones do have more features and an improved lens but the sensor really hasn't changed in terms of picture quality (MKII has BSI sensor for a barely noticeable improvement in low light, and the newer ones take better video and focus faster).
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5225 posts
641 upvotes
There is a pile of them on kijiji for less than that. I'm willing to bet people buy it on sales like this and then have buyers remorse because they realize they use it a lot less than they thought they would.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4807 posts
1244 upvotes
Scarborough
cinderedmonkey wrote: Nothing that is remotely close to the RX100 in size. The closest you can get is the Panasonic GM1 or GM5 but unless you stick a pancake lens on it (thankfully the are several) it's not remotely pocketable (and even then, I'm stretching it).
The Lumix DMC-LX10/LX15 is pretty decent as well. I bought one after my RX100M3 was stolen.