Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [SSD] HP EX900 M.2 NVME 250GB/500GB - $60/$105 | EX920 512GB - $120

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 9:22 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
66 posts
89 upvotes

[Canada Computers] [SSD] HP EX900 M.2 NVME 250GB/500GB - $60/$105 | EX920 512GB - $120

Saw these were on sale and a decent deal.

Here is EX920 512GB Link

EX900 is DRAMless and a bit slower than EX920 but the average user wont notice the difference. I believe this is the lowest the EX920 has ever been.
16 replies
Sep 19, 2017
314 posts
132 upvotes
Moncton
This thread deserves a bump. This price is still valid on the EX920 and a "Hot" deal on a drive that is comparable with the Intel 760P. (Not sure I'd recommend the 900 series ones though... I haven't had good luck with dramless SATA SSDs, I wouldn't chance it on an NVMe one).
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Sep 19, 2017
314 posts
132 upvotes
Moncton
ocisnicola wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 9:34 pm
Memory Express has the WD Black 500GB for $129.99. Seems like a better deal when you compare performance.
That's a really good deal on the black as well, and I'd be inclined to agree that it appears to be a better deal. You never know though.... $10 might be a tipping point for someone, and (unlike taking a chance on dramless) I don't think I'd be too far out of line to suggest that only benchmarks will show the difference between the two drives. ;)

That said... no matter what newer model NVMe someone picks, it's a pretty exciting time on the storage front when it comes to affordability paired up with impressive performance.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Dec 19, 2006
441 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver
sswilson wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 9:37 pm
That's a really good deal on the black as well, and I'd be inclined to agree that it appears to be a better deal. You never know though.... $10 might be a tipping point for someone, and (unlike taking a chance on dramless) I don't think I'd be too far out of line to suggest that only benchmarks will show the difference between the two drives. ;)

That said... no matter what newer model NVMe someone picks, it's a pretty exciting time on the storage front when it comes to affordability paired up with impressive performance.
For sure, I'm just geeking out at a drive that compares very well to the Samsung 970 EVO and 970 Pro being available for so much cheaper.
Dec 14, 2018
38 posts
86 upvotes
I'm commenting here as this thread isn't pages deep yet and is getting a bit of traction based on the score (+8 as of post).

What exactly is the deal with these HP-branded SSDs? My research so far has yielded several red flags:

1) I can't seem to find an official hp.com product page for the EX920. There's this page (http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/oas/p ... d=13279657), but it's only for the 1tb version. You can't buy it directly, it doesn't link to a spec sheet, and the warranty is only 1 year.

2) The only official-esque thing for this item is a PDF spec sheet with the domain name "ssdhp.com" (pdf here: https://ssdhp.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 705-EN.pdf)

3) The problem with ssdhp.com is that it's not HP. The home page indicates that it's an "HP Business Partner." The About Us section of the page suggests that the actual company is "S3+ Technologies SA."
The company's founded in 2003 and its HQ is in Switzerland. On LinkedIn this company has all of 4 employees.

4) ssdhp.com is the only place so far I've seen with a warranty/RMA claim form. But, the page indicates that it's only for retailers, not consumers.

5) I did an ICANN WHOIS search on ssdhp.com. Results state that: Created Date: 2018-06-13 Registrar Expiration Date: 2019-06-13. Based on the published date of some reviews, it looks like the ssdhp.com domain was created after the product launched.

6) Reading further, it appears that a company called Biwin licenses the name and they're the guys actually manufacturing this thing. According to their "About Us" page it's a SZ, China company founded in 1995. HP and S3+ are not among the companies they listed as their "strategic partners". A keyword search for HP or EX920 on the Biwin site yields nada.

7) What is up with the warranty on this thing? From what I gather on this official HP support forum thread, it seems that this product was initially released with a 1 years warranty. Then at somepoint a "+2 year warranty" was printed on the packaging. Some youtube unboxings show a box with "3 year" warranty printed on it. Online reviews have pointed out the (comparatively short) 3 year warranty. Currently the spec sheet says 5 warranty. AFAIK the make/model hasn't changed, it's just whoever is responsible for warranty has been adding years. Also the TBW expectancy has been increasing since the time of release, (Reviews pointed out the 1TB came with 300TBW, spec sheet currently says 650 ?!) (thread here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-H ... -p/6795948)

So what I'm trying to figure out is:
1) Who actually manufactures/assembles the EX920? What's up with the changing warranty/TBW?
2) If it goes tits up, where/how can I get that 5 year warranty? Any limitations on "authorized retailers" etc.? How do I register my product?
3) What's HP's part in all this, and why is it not on their site? HP also doesn't seem to be putting these inside their own pre-builds. Online forum answers, fwiw, suggest that HP's putting Sammy/Toshiba NVMEs inside their pre-builds.

Price-wise, it's one of the most competitively-priced NVME SSD's out there right now. Spec-wise, according to reviews, it's respectable. Further so when we considering the price as well. I want to buy this, but this thing seems sketchy as hell.

You guys have any ideas?
Sep 9, 2018
107 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
ocisnicola wrote:
Memory Express has the WD Black 500GB for $129.99. Seems like a better deal when you compare performance.
Newegg had it for $109.99 Black Friday, maybe it will be back.

I bought a HP rebranded Samsung drive and had nothing but problems. It was a known issue with a firmware update but the problem persisted. I will not buy HP anymore unless I have an HP system.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6598 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
Bought this drive on BF, it is a very fast drive and in my particular usage case, running a Windows 7 virtual machine that has 4 years worth of accumulated junk on it, I notice a huge difference in responsiveness vs having the virtual machine stored on a fast MLC SATA drive.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3828 posts
1053 upvotes
dougrfdun wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 10:05 pm
I'm commenting here as this thread isn't pages deep yet and is getting a bit of traction based on the score (+8 as of post).

What exactly is the deal with these HP-branded SSDs? My research so far has yielded several red flags:

1) I can't seem to find an official hp.com product page for the EX920. There's this page (http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/oas/p ... d=13279657), but it's only for the 1tb version. You can't buy it directly, it doesn't link to a spec sheet, and the warranty is only 1 year.

2) The only official-esque thing for this item is a PDF spec sheet with the domain name "ssdhp.com" (pdf here: https://ssdhp.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 705-EN.pdf)

3) The problem with ssdhp.com is that it's not HP. The home page indicates that it's an "HP Business Partner." The About Us section of the page suggests that the actual company is "S3+ Technologies SA."
The company's founded in 2003 and its HQ is in Switzerland. On LinkedIn this company has all of 4 employees.

4) ssdhp.com is the only place so far I've seen with a warranty/RMA claim form. But, the page indicates that it's only for retailers, not consumers.

5) I did an ICANN WHOIS search on ssdhp.com. Results state that: Created Date: 2018-06-13 Registrar Expiration Date: 2019-06-13. Based on the published date of some reviews, it looks like the ssdhp.com domain was created after the product launched.

6) Reading further, it appears that a company called Biwin licenses the name and they're the guys actually manufacturing this thing. According to their "About Us" page it's a SZ, China company founded in 1995. HP and S3+ are not among the companies they listed as their "strategic partners". A keyword search for HP or EX920 on the Biwin site yields nada.

7) What is up with the warranty on this thing? From what I gather on this official HP support forum thread, it seems that this product was initially released with a 1 years warranty. Then at somepoint a "+2 year warranty" was printed on the packaging. Some youtube unboxings show a box with "3 year" warranty printed on it. Online reviews have pointed out the (comparatively short) 3 year warranty. Currently the spec sheet says 5 warranty. AFAIK the make/model hasn't changed, it's just whoever is responsible for warranty has been adding years. Also the TBW expectancy has been increasing since the time of release, (Reviews pointed out the 1TB came with 300TBW, spec sheet currently says 650 ?!) (thread here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-H ... -p/6795948)

So what I'm trying to figure out is:
1) Who actually manufactures/assembles the EX920? What's up with the changing warranty/TBW?
2) If it goes tits up, where/how can I get that 5 year warranty? Any limitations on "authorized retailers" etc.? How do I register my product?
3) What's HP's part in all this, and why is it not on their site? HP also doesn't seem to be putting these inside their own pre-builds. Online forum answers, fwiw, suggest that HP's putting Sammy/Toshiba NVMEs inside their pre-builds.

Price-wise, it's one of the most competitively-priced NVME SSD's out there right now. Spec-wise, according to reviews, it's respectable. Further so when we considering the price as well. I want to buy this, but this thing seems sketchy as hell.

You guys have any ideas?
Since everyone else ignored your post..

Just buy the damn thing and stop worrying about everything.
Dec 14, 2018
38 posts
86 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 12:15 am
Since everyone else ignored your post..

Just buy the damn thing and stop worrying about everything.
not my boot/main drive, I'm not wild enough.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1420 posts
604 upvotes
London
ocisnicola wrote:
i went with this adata drive https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product from things read online its is as good as if not better then a 970 pro. what i did was put the drive in the cart along with this usb stick https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6820220927 then use the masterpass $30 off code doing this split the items into 2 orders as one is sold and shipped by newegg were the other one is just shipped by newegg. i was then able to go into the order and cancel the usb stick.

i lost part of the $30 discount as $7.14 was discounted from the usb stick but i still got 22.86 off the ssd. so price with tax and discount is 154.96 witch was a few bucks less then the wd drive when shipping and tax was added on.