Jan 13, 2019
12 posts
11 upvotes

[Canada Computers] In store only Samsung 32GB EVO plus microsd $9.99

May 1 -15

and the dude told me it should be happening to all Ottawa stores
Images
  • 3914DB62-FAB6-4E25-BFB5-637CAD4AD444.jpeg
Last edited by JibeiZ96465 on Apr 29th, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
1807 posts
1210 upvotes
Kitchener
PM with BestBuy?

Bestbuy regular price is $19.99
Gaming PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1070 8gb, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 6500, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Dec 21, 2009
442 posts
88 upvotes
Ajax
Is there a URL from CC we can use with PM with bestbuy?
Dec 6, 2016
15 posts
3 upvotes
It's in-store special, doubt you will see it advertised online.
Aug 29, 2009
24 posts
53 upvotes
why is this being downvoted? is this not a good deal?
Nov 8, 2012
430 posts
222 upvotes
London, ON
which store is this? didnt seem to be live in London
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2941 posts
1059 upvotes
Scarborough
Amazon has this for $11 free shipping, am I looking at a wrong version?

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Plus-Clas ... way&sr=8-3

Edit: Before anyone blasts me on having to meet the $25 minimum requirements ($35 for non members), there are countless items that you can add as a filler which won't ship because they've been out of stock for months and/or just add a pre-released bluray and cancel the item once you receive your sd card.
Dec 19, 2018
42 posts
53 upvotes
cyanger wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:32 am
why is this being downvoted? is this not a good deal?
I'm not one of who downvoted, but I could give a little bit of insight of why this deal is considered not so good for some who are knowledgeable in this tech aspect. This might be a little bit too technical for some, so bare with me. First, this Samsung EVO Plus 32GB card is only rated at Speed Class 10 / UHS-1 Speed Class 1, which is the bare minimum for any cards sold today. No one in the right mind should paid the full MSRP of $29.99 for this card. So the so call "sale" is misleading. There are plenty of other options out there for a 32GB card for roughly the same "sale" price or less at the same speed rating. You can even get a card which will probably out perform this Samsung 32GB card for $2 more. For example the Kingston Canvas React 32GB microSDXC card which is rated at Speed Class 10 / UHS-1 Speed Class 3.

Now, if we were to stick with Samsung, you can even get a Samsung EVO Select 128GB microSDXC card which is rated at Speed Class 10 / UHS-1 Speed Class 3 for only $37.56. So unless you are stuck with electronics that has a hard limit of accepting only up to 32GB microSDHC card, the Samsung 128GB card will give you more bang for the buck.
Aug 29, 2009
24 posts
53 upvotes
ShinRyuu wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 3:42 pm
I'm not one of who downvoted, but I could give a little bit of insight of why this deal is considered not so good for some who are knowledgeable in this tech aspect. This might be a little bit too technical for some, so bare with me. First, this Samsung EVO Plus 32GB card is only rated at Speed Class 10 / UHS-1 Speed Class 1, which is the bare minimum for any cards sold today. No one in the right mind should paid the full MSRP of $29.99 for this card. So the so call "sale" is misleading. There are plenty of other options out there for a 32GB card for roughly the same "sale" price or less at the same speed rating. You can even get a card which will probably out perform this Samsung 32GB card for $2 more. For example the Kingston Canvas React 32GB microSDXC card which is rated at Speed Class 10 / UHS-1 Speed Class 3.

Now, if we were to stick with Samsung, you can even get a Samsung EVO Select 128GB microSDXC card which is rated at Speed Class 10 / UHS-1 Speed Class 3 for only $37.56. So unless you are stuck with electronics that has a hard limit of accepting only up to 32GB microSDHC card, the Samsung 128GB card will give you more bang for the buck.
Thank you for your insight, much appreciated!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3987 posts
929 upvotes
Vancouver
OrangeBerry wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:51 am
Amazon has this for $11 free shipping, am I looking at a wrong version?

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Plus-Clas ... way&sr=8-3

Edit: Before anyone blasts me on having to meet the $25 minimum requirements ($35 for non members), there are countless items that you can add as a filler which won't ship because they've been out of stock for months and/or just add a pre-released bluray and cancel the item once you receive your sd card.
Usual word of warning is buying memory cards from third-party merchants on Amazon, especially shipped and sold by other vendors. Fulfilled by Amazon is typically better as you deal directly with Amazon for any issues/returns. Shipped and sold by Amazon is best but there are concerns that fulfilled by Amazon bad stock from other vendors is mixed in (usually due to returns) with Amazon genuine stock.
ShinRyuu wrote:

To add to this and clarify, the EVO Plus is actually a very well-reviewed and often recommend line and identical to the EVO Select line (very good balance of value for money, reliability and performance). EVO Select is sold only on Amazon. The difference is that each capacity has a different speed rating, 32GB has by far the slowest writes @ 20MB/s, 64GB @ 60MB/s and caps out at 90MB/s for anything greater.

20MB/s itself is more than enough for most purposes as long as it's a reliable 20MB/s. In practical settings, your devices will not write faster than even 10MB/s. Where you need the extra speed is if you're using the card for data transfers in which case faster is better or professional use, like in a dSLR that relies on a fast card to clear its burst buffer. For typical device write/upload to computer scenarios, write speed is not important but fast read speed will get those pictures off your card and onto your laptop faster.

Final note: Professional best practice is actually to go with smaller memory cards and swap them out as often as possible (obviously not always practical). You really only want large capacity cards for legitimate high capacity needs (eg. storing media on an SD card to plug and play). Almost always with cameras, the smaller, the better. The reason being if there was a critical failure of the card or if you lose the camera, you don't lose everything, only the media captured on one card.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2941 posts
1059 upvotes
Scarborough
lhsonic wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 8:04 pm
Usual word of warning is buying memory cards from third-party merchants on Amazon, especially shipped and sold by other vendors. Fulfilled by Amazon is typically better as you deal directly with Amazon for any issues/returns. Shipped and sold by Amazon is best but there are concerns that fulfilled by Amazon bad stock from other vendors is mixed in (usually due to returns) with Amazon genuine stock.
Yah this one is fullfilled by Amazon
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28544 posts
14324 upvotes
Ottawa
ShinRyuu wrote:

Great detail.
Do you mind giving a little insight on the below Lexar card? I bought 6 for various indoor wifi cameras.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lexar-High-Perfor ... SCQ0/?th=1
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3987 posts
929 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 11:24 am
Great detail.
Do you mind giving a little insight on the below Lexar card? I bought 6 for various indoor wifi cameras.
They're fine. Comparable in performance to the Samsung cards being discussed. Some people will hate on Lexar but my cards did fine and performed great.

My last Lexar died after a year in a dash cam and maybe 3 years after purchase. They just refunded my purchase price under warranty. For dash cameras and video cameras on a loop, I recommend high endurance cards.
Removed external link in signature.
Dec 19, 2018
42 posts
53 upvotes
lhsonic wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 8:04 pm
To add to this and clarify, the EVO Plus is actually a very well-reviewed and often recommend line and identical to the EVO Select line (very good balance of value for money, reliability and performance). EVO Select is sold only on Amazon. The difference is that each capacity has a different speed rating, 32GB has by far the slowest writes @ 20MB/s, 64GB @ 60MB/s and caps out at 90MB/s for anything greater.

20MB/s itself is more than enough for most purposes as long as it's a reliable 20MB/s. In practical settings, your devices will not write faster than even 10MB/s. Where you need the extra speed is if you're using the card for data transfers in which case faster is better or professional use, like in a dSLR that relies on a fast card to clear its burst buffer. For typical device write/upload to computer scenarios, write speed is not important but fast read speed will get those pictures off your card and onto your laptop faster.

Final note: Professional best practice is actually to go with smaller memory cards and swap them out as often as possible (obviously not always practical). You really only want large capacity cards for legitimate high capacity needs (eg. storing media on an SD card to plug and play).
Almost always with cameras, the smaller, the better. The reason being if there was a critical failure of the card or if you lose the camera, you don't lose everything, only the media captured on one card.
Thanks for adding clarification. I mentioned in my reply that it might be too technical but I did not even explain the speed rating. lol

I would say the professional best practice of going with smaller cards is partially right. Professional advice is to pick the correctly sized card for the job and never fill the card up more than 75% of its rated capacity. Almost all cards will perform better than the rated speed when empty and freshly formatted. The speed will start to degrade as it fills past 75% and pretty much by 90%, the card will barely performs at the rated speed. For consumer usage. 32GB is plentiful. For example taking pictures at 6MB a pop jpegs, a 32GB card can hold 5000 pictures; so a 128GB is overkill. This is where the smaller size argument makes sense cus there are quite a lot of pictures getting lost when disaster strike.

For me, who do video recording and quite often need to record 3.5hrs of continuous footage, a 128GB card make sense. Because I know for my setup, those footage eats up around 72GB of storage; and there are no possible break point in between to swap card otherwise the footage is no longer continuous.
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 11:24 am
Great detail.
As lhsonic said, it's an alright card. Same speed rating as the the Samsung 32GB. Lexar used to make pretty decent quality cards back in the days. I only owned one of their 64MB card and it was fine. I read many complaints about the poor quality of their current gen cards tho. I would probably pick the $9.99 Samsung card over the Lexar unless you got those Lexar for cheaper. I personally used a whole bunch of Adata Premier 32GB cards for all my Android phones/DSes/3DSes/GPS/Voice records and such for only $7.99 a pop and never have any problems. A lot of people will probably bash me and say Adatas are garbage. But hey, they work for me and I trust the brand and that's what matters. You mentioned using the cards in wifi cameras. If those work like dashcams where they record videos constantly and overwrite when full, you might want to consider high endurance cards instead.