• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 5:05 pm
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario

Canada Computers store refusing to accept return

Unbelievable. I am having problems returning a 2-pack of the ASUS RT-AX92U (https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=137327) at a store called Canada Computers. Their policy is you are allowed to return or exchange opened products within 15 days. I have only had the product 2 days. https://www.canadacomputers.com/policie ... -exchanges

Even though I bought it brand new, they will not allow me to return it because of the serial numbers on the routers. On one unit the serial number ends with 14 and the other ends in 68. They will not accept this return because I guess the numbers at the end 14 & 68 are too far apart. And they say that shouldn't be. However, when I called around to other locations who had open boxes, the numbers were off as well. And to make matters worse, ASUS only puts 1 of the serial numbers on the outside box, not the other one. ASUS sells these routers individually, the 2 packs are just another way they sell them.

Supposedly I was talking to the store manager today, on a Sunday, and he tried to tell me he is the top guy. He said he was going to call me tomorrow as he needs to talk with ASUS about this, but it makes no sense. It basically sounds like for some reason they just don't want to allow a return just because.

Update

They will allow the return and have offered a gas card for having to make another trip.
Last edited by j.batty1 on Feb 24th, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Items for sale:
67 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1965 posts
2506 upvotes
That is one of the good reason why you should use credit card for such purchase. Your credit card company often time will insure you against vendor like this. At worst, files a charge back and let your bank deal with them instead of wasting time.

I highly doubt this will be their final decision though. Doesn't seem like their reason are based on anything rational.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10164 posts
4435 upvotes
Vaughan
Are they still un-used/wrapped? Did you ask them why? Show them return policies? Go to different locations. CC likes to make difficulty to return.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
How does this even make sense?

If the box is opened, and the macs don't match. Then clearly the OP swapped something to the ones to the package. How can retailers protect themselves when the macs don't match on the box?
Cucumference wrote: That is one of the good reason why you should use credit card for such purchase. Your credit card company often time will insure you against vendor like this. At worst, files a charge back and let your bank deal with them instead of wasting time.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1965 posts
2506 upvotes
sexyj wrote: How does this even make sense?

If the box is opened, and the macs don't match. Then clearly the OP swapped something to the ones to the package. How can retailers protect themselves when the macs don't match on the box?
Where did OP said that the MACs don't match? Everything appears to match based on his description.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote: How does this even make sense?

You clearly don't understand.

Every device has a different MAC address. That is not what we are talking about here. I bought a product that is a 2 pack that comes with the same model RT-AX92u router, that you can mesh. You can buy these routers individually or as a special 2-pack that ASUS sells where you get 2. There is no reason anyone to switch it out with the same router from somewhere else. Its the exact same model router! They are similar in hardware revision, firmware version, and the serial numbers match with the same numbers, except one unit ends in 14 and the other ends in 68. This is why they are refusing a return, because they feel the numbers are too far apart. Its crazy, customers don't decide what ASUS does with its serial numbers. On the box packaging, the serial number shows the one that has 14. ASUS does not display the serial numbers for both units on the box, I don't know why. Only the one. That is how they have done it. That is not on the customer or a reason to refuse. And as I said, I bought it new and other stores that had open boxes show that the two routers will have different serial numbers and they are not in any specific order.

Canada Computers is literally selling open boxes of these things where the serial numbers on both units are different and they have accepted those returns. This store is being difficult on purpose.
Last edited by j.batty1 on Feb 23rd, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Items for sale:
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
teoconca wrote: Are they still un-used/wrapped? Did you ask them why? Show them return policies? Go to different locations. CC likes to make difficulty to return.
Of course it was opened, but Canada Computers allows return of opened products within 15 days. They obviously don't care about their own company return policy.
Items for sale:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
Well, depends on the product. Since macs are generally unique, they are technically serial numbers. Since this is a network gear, Mac = serial number would make sense.
Cucumference wrote: Where did OP said that the MACs don't match? Everything appears to match based on his description.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote: Well, depends on the product. Since macs are generally unique, they are technically serial numbers. Since this is a network gear, Mac = serial number would make sense.
Wrong in this case, the mac address is not the serial number. That is why on the packaging and stickers they display mac address and serial numbers separately.
Last edited by j.batty1 on Feb 23rd, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Items for sale:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
There's a reason if you had a broken router from a previous set and exchange them with brand new ones.
j.batty1 wrote: You clearly don't understand.

Every device has a different MAC address. That is not what we are talking about here. I bought a product that is a 2 pack that comes with the same model RT-AX92u router, that you can mesh. You can buy these routers individually or as a special 2-pack that ASUS sells where you get 2. There is no reason anyone to switch it out with the same router from somewhere else. Its the exact same model router! They are similar in hardware revision, firmware version, and the serial numbers match with the same numbers, except one unit ends in 14 and the other ends in 68. This is why they are refusing a return, because they feel the numbers are too far apart. Its crazy, customers don't decide what ASUS does with its serial numbers. On the box packaging, the serial number shows the one that has 14. ASUS does not display the serial numbers for both units on the box, I don't know why. Only the one. And as I said, I bought it new and other stores that had open boxes show that the two routers will have different serial numbers and they are not in any specific order.

The outside box even has the same serial number on the router. The box shows on the outside the same info. ASUS simply doesn't put on the outside box the serial numbers for both units, only the one, for some reason. That is how they have done it. That is not on the customer or a reason to refuse. Canada Computers is literally selling open boxes of these things where the serial numbers on both units are different and they have accepted those returns. This store is being difficult on purpose.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote: There's a reason if you had a broken router from a previous set and exchange them with brand new ones.
Yeah, because that is what people do on their spare time....they go buy multiple routers for fun and switch them around to return them. You seem to be conveniently forgetting the fact Canada Computers is selling open boxes where the serials on both units do not match or go in a specific order. And the other fact, that if you were to buy these routers individually and mesh them, they work fine. The serial numbers don't have to be any specific to make them work together. I bought a new product that has one of the exact same serial numbers on the product and on the outside box. Canada Computers has a 15 day return policy they are refusing to honour for no justified reasoning.

You are making a bunch of assumptions. Sounds like you would be a good Canada Computers manager.
Last edited by j.batty1 on Feb 23rd, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Items for sale:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
LOL, you act like people swapping broken computer stuff with new ones isn't a thing
j.batty1 wrote: Yeah, because that is what people do on their spare time....they go buy multiple routers for fun and switch them around to return them. You seem to be conveniently forgetting the fact Canada Computers is selling open boxes where the serials on both units do not match or go in a specific order.

You are making a bunch of assumptions. Sounds like you would be a good Canada Computers manager.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote: LOL, you act like people swapping broken computer stuff with new ones isn't a thing
I don't think that is right at all. But that isn't what happened here and they have zero evidence to even suggest that.

Once again, you are ignoring the fact Canada Computers is selling open boxes with the same discrepancy. Just go away, friend.
Items for sale:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
LOL, I didn't say whether you did it or not.

The fact that you mentioned the "serial don't match" instantly raises a red flag with fraud with retailers

If they are indeed selling open boxes with different serials in them. Buy it in store while opening it and video tape it then return it, then write an email to headoffice.
j.batty1 wrote: I don't think that is right at all. But that isn't what happened here and they have zero evidence to even suggest that.

Once again, you are ignoring the fact Canada Computers is selling open boxes with the same discrepancy. Just go away, friend.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote: LOL, I didn't say whether you did it or not.

The fact that you mentioned the "serial don't match" instantly raises a red flag with fraud with retailers

If they are indeed selling open boxes with different serials in them. Buy it in store while opening it and video tape it, then write an email to headoffice.
The serial numbers cannot match. You can't have 2 products with the same serial number like this that ASUS also sells individually as a product. My 2-pack box clearly has the exact same serial number of one of the units. That is just how ASUS has done it. They display one of the units serial numbers. Not the serial number of the second unit. The "problem" they have at the store and why they won't return is because they say the spacing of 14 & 68 is too far apart. They want it to be like 14 & 15. That is the only reason they are refusing a return. I called another store where they were also off by 4 numbers. Its obvious ASUS is not selling these products new out of the box where the serials continue one right after the other in all cases.

Do you honestly think if I was trying to scam them and I bought this product like a year ago, I would be able to find units that would be as close as 14 & 68 are? Do you know how impossible that would be and the chances? ASUS makes hundreds of thousands of these things in a month or something, I'm sure. And that scam doesn't even make sense, because I wasn't returning them because they wouldn't work at all. Both units power on and mesh together.

And you think I am going to give them anymore of my money? And that a customer needs to go to that extremes to video stuff? That is absurd.
Last edited by j.batty1 on Feb 24th, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Items for sale:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
Well, you are fighting with your money.

Making a post on RFD also doesn't help your clause.
j.batty1 wrote: And you think I am going to give them anymore of my money? And that a customer needs to go to that extremes to video stuff? That is absurd.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2009
689 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote:
Nor does posting silly unhelpful replies with no facts and a lot of assumptions.

People with experiences with Canada Computers returns are why I posted this and to people considering buying from them to watch out.
Items for sale:
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1965 posts
2506 upvotes
sexyj wrote: Well, you are fighting with your money.

You are out of your element. Just stop posting on this thread. Pretty much not a single thing you said so far make any sense.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7663 posts
4365 upvotes
Debtario
FWIW CC has had a reputation for being difficult to downright scummy when it comes to returns. Try a different location.

I've seen it first-hand when helping a friend on a build, got a DOA mobo and tried to exchange a few hours later. CC tried to say it was user error and were quite rude/condescending, then said to contact the manufacturer for warranty service. It was a major hassle, we ended up bringing the system to the store to show them how eff'd it was and my friend kinda lost it on them, thought we were going to get kicked out but they relented and exchanged it.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14372 posts
3612 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
sexyj wrote: The fact that you mentioned the "serial don't match" instantly raises a red flag with fraud with retailers
My understanding, from reading the first post, is that the dude meant that the serial numbers are not sequential. The box only lists one serial and it matches one of the routers, but because the second router's serial number is not anywhere close in sequence to the first one (and not listed on the box), the store does not believe that it is an original pairing.

In any case, it's pretty clear that you don't understand the situation, so just accept it and quit trying to save face.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)