Tax:$72.67

Estimated Total:$631.67
Total Savings Applied:$270.00

newegg also has it with a coupon CBFAY2283
45 replies
Nov 21, 2019
601 posts
702 upvotes
This is why I have a bunch of external drives and no nas. I really wish nases were cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8590 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
SonicRings wrote: This is why I have a bunch of external drives and no nas. I really wish nases were cheaper.
It's got a pretty good feature set though. They're worth exploring what they can do and not just use them to dump files on. That's just a waste.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3114 posts
2928 upvotes
Montreal
SonicRings wrote: This is why I have a bunch of external drives and no nas. I really wish nases were cheaper.
NAS can last years. My 8 year old one still runs. And they are much better than a bunch of external drives.

Worth the money. I wish I had started using them long ago.
Nov 9, 2014
437 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If you have the technical skills, it's not hard to build a basic NAS with Linux and an appropriate RAID setup. The best/mostefficient is in my opinion RAID 6. I run it on a FreeNas install. You can do it with a bare Ubuntu/Debian install too if you don't want to struggle with Freenas/Truenas.

If you have NO backup solution then pretty much anything you do (external hard drive, a basic file server with no NAS but simply a network attached drive) is better than nothing.
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
55 posts
24 upvotes
Thought I missed out on the memory express deal. Thanks OP ordered from newegg!
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
55 posts
24 upvotes
For those in the Gatineau area, Canada computers has an open box unit that the discount code works with. Total pricing 550$ with tax.
Nov 26, 2018
284 posts
287 upvotes
I already have externals for backups. What can a Nas do that's better?

Can it run as a standalone plex server? Don't think the low CPU spec is much hope if I need to transcode.

Right now I run plex from an old secondary computer with a couple of drive bays. 2600k w/ gtx 1070.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
1532 posts
159 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone from Quebec have any experience with Flexiti at CC?

I see they are offering do not pay until 2023 on the DS920+ and AI already have a Flexiti account.

I wonder if this do not pay applies to Quebec residents.

Thanks,
Knowledge is power
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3114 posts
2928 upvotes
Montreal
konig1 wrote: I already have externals for backups. What can a Nas do that's better?

Can it run as a standalone plex server? Don't think the low CPU spec is much hope if I need to transcode.
An external drive is a convenience, not a backup: it cannot guarantee data integrity (corruption), nor can it protect from ransomware, lightning, flood, fire, theft, etc.

A NAS can do data integrity (BTRFS checksum), protect against drive failure (SHR), provide access control (so your kids don't see your PG 13 movies), provide nearly free versioning and ransomware protection (BTRFS snapshots), and can ease backup (backup to the cloud). Can also allow for remote access to your files while maintaining privacy (unlike Google drive) etc.

Forget about transcoding. Storage is cheap. Keep a second (lower res) copy of the few movies you plan to play on weak players. The NAS can run as a movie server just fine: use Plex, or jellyfin (ideally in a docker container).
Mar 3, 2006
495 posts
149 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: NAS can last years. My 8 year old one still runs. And they are much better than a bunch of external drives.

If you've got an old computer laying around you should look out for unraid, it's 59$us.

Really easy to setup, there's load of apps and dockers you can run off it..

You don't need much of a computer to run as a nas and unless you live in a dorm form factor shouldn't be much of a problem...
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1479 posts
1016 upvotes
Vancouver
konig1 wrote: I already have externals for backups. What can a Nas do that's better?

Right now I run plex from an old secondary computer with a couple of drive bays. 2600k w/ gtx 1070.
Yup, can even do 4k transcoding in real-time. Intel's QuickSync for accelerating video encoding is really good
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2904 posts
2638 upvotes
Whitby
NAS's are worth their weight in gold. The first time you lose a pile of data / files / treasured photos you will regret not having one.
Redirecting your computer desktop/favorites/documents to a nas is worth its weight in gold. My 0.02
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8497 posts
2069 upvotes
Mont-Royal
redmondflagger wrote: If you have the technical skills, it's not hard to build a basic NAS with Linux and an appropriate RAID setup. The best/mostefficient is in my opinion RAID 6. I run it on a FreeNas install. You can do it with a bare Ubuntu/Debian install too if you don't want to struggle with Freenas/Truenas.

If you have NO backup solution then pretty much anything you do (external hard drive, a basic file server with no NAS but simply a network attached drive) is better than nothing.
How do u backup ur pc c drive wibdown in a nas that has a different ip?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Nov 9, 2014
437 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
L4cky wrote: How do u backup ur pc c drive wibdown in a nas that has a different ip?
On a simple system computer that is the NAS would share it's attached drives on the network the same way a NAS would. There are lots of options for how those are shared, but a windows shared drive (CIFS/SAMBA) is easy to use.

Regardless of which NAS type you have, in Windows you could mount/map that shared network drive. That network share becomes the storage location for your backup.
May 4, 2014
11 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
FrancisBacon wrote: NAS can last years. My 8 year old one still runs. And they are much better than a bunch of external drives.

I agree with this post (mine is 10 years old), and I will add that I hardened my NAS with a UPS, so it smoothes out those power outtages. Yes I had to replace my drives since I bought it, but I did it under warranty. The WD RED drives came with 5 yr warranty and when it had some bad sectors b4 that period. But its been smooth since, and yeah its expensive, but to have fast drives that serve huge amount of data constantly 24/7, thats pretty good.