Expired Hot Deals

Canada Computers

TP-Link (EAP225-Outdoor) AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point $79.99

[OP]
Mar 4, 2009
137 posts
55 upvotes

[Canada Computers] TP-Link (EAP225-Outdoor) AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point $79.99

Been wanting one of these for a while. Tracked the Amazon price and it rarely ever drops. For $79, I couldn't resist. I'll be able take teams/zoom calls from the backyard now without using LTE.
--
haven't thought of a good sig yet
31 replies
Sep 22, 2010
111 posts
56 upvotes
Is this basically a range extender? Can I use it with my rogers modem to give it a boost throughout the house?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2817 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
makaveli80 wrote: Is this basically a range extender? Can I use it with my rogers modem to give it a boost throughout the house?
No.
As stated in the title, it's an access point. You will need to connect via network cable.
Aug 23, 2010
270 posts
56 upvotes
Montr
Cant you just use an old router and turn it into an access point ? You have to wire it to your network just the same as this.
May 26, 2005
843 posts
627 upvotes
tsx wrote: Cant you just use an old router and turn it into an access point ? You have to wire it to your network just the same as this.
This is outdoor-rated, and much more powerful than any old router. TP-Link makes for a good cheaper alternative to Ubiquiti stuff. If you have other TP-Link APs you can use mesh to connect them at a reduction in speed.

Niche application, but good price. Thanks OP!

For the people downvoting... why?
Jan 13, 2005
929 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does this need to get connected to power outlet?
Can i use this accesspoint for my smart doorbell and smart thermometer to connect to?

I suppose this is a good alternative to traditional mesh system for reducing deadspots?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6468 posts
6456 upvotes
Downtown Canada
iverson wrote: Does this need to get connected to power outlet?
Can i use this accesspoint for my smart doorbell and smart thermometer to connect to?

I suppose this is a good alternative to traditional mesh system for reducing deadspots?
This is PoE
Oct 2, 2011
120 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Almost place the order until I saw this review on Amazon. Fking TPLink, why always FW problem.
Beware: As of 2020-07-27 there is no firmware for EAP225-Outdoor to work with Omada Controller 4.x+
Reviewed in Canada on July 27, 2020
The EAP225-Outdoor is a nice little access point with decent antennas. However, in Canada the unit ships with Canadian firmware but as of 2020-07-27 the latest firmware available on the Canadian site is EAP225-Outdoor_CA_1.6.1 Build 20191224 which will NOT work with Omada Controller Software v4+. The US site has firmware version EAP225-Outdoor(US)_V1_1.20.0 Build 20200422 which presumably will work but cannot be installed if the device already has Canadian firmware. The box indicated that it was the US version, but it actually had the Canadian firmware. Seeing as it has been over 7 months since the last update on the Canadian site and a few firmware versions have been released on the US site since then it appears to be an abandoned product in Canada. So if you expect to use it with the Omada Controller Software you'd better check if they ever get around to releasing newer Canadian firmware prior to purchasing. Hence one star.
Dec 12, 2018
18 posts
5 upvotes
Installed this a month ago. Love it. firmware upgrade was available when I bought it.

Model:EAP225-Outdoor(Canada) v1.0 Firmware Version:5.0.0 Build 20201015 Rel. 54720
Nov 23, 2018
958 posts
328 upvotes
Markham ON
I think a better deal can be had, especially from Canada computers.
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Mar 16, 2009
176 posts
90 upvotes
Halifax
It would appear this unit also supports OpenWRT firmware. Might pick this up!
Oct 31, 2012
58 posts
174 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure why this is getting downvoted so much.

I paid $70 for the indoor version of these. Another $10 for the outdoor version seems like a good deal.

Get a couple of them, connect them to a local controller.
I've only had one odd connection issue since I've had them, but a firmware update fixed that. Been using for about a year now.

They do require some technical skill to setup. But if you've setup a home router before, you can probably figure this out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6746 posts
1327 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
kobemtl wrote: Almost place the order until I saw this review on Amazon. Fking TPLink, why always FW problem.
No problem using this with my Omada Contoller 4.1.5, with firmware 1.20.0 Build 20200604 Rel. 51951. Pretty sure I downloaded it form the TP-Link website too and it's still avalialbe: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/down ... /#Firmware

Canadian firmware is needed because some of the lower 5ghz bands are not allowed for outdoor use.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2817 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
GhaladReam wrote: It would appear this unit also supports OpenWRT firmware...
Currently Development Snapshot builds and Release Candidate only.
With snapshot releases, users must install LuCi manually.

No stable OpenWrt release currently.

EDIT: Just browsed through OpenWrt website. At least two recent unresolved issues of bricked tp-link EAP225 Outdoor.
Last edited by Warlock on May 26th, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 1, 2018
147 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
krossfyah wrote: Whats the outdoor range on these?
Should be able to get 150m on these and hop up to 2 or 3 nodes
Nov 9, 2014
322 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Does this device have to backhaul over ethernet? Can it be used as an outdoor wifi extender wireless ONLY?
Dec 8, 2010
107 posts
20 upvotes
Granby
Check here:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots ... 9/generic/

I have the EAP245 v1 and v3. Tp-link stopped supporting the v1 a few years ago. The firmware had problems and no fast roaming that why I bought the v3. Just recently I flashed both v1 and v3 Openwrt firmware and they work great together with fast roaming feature. The learning curve was huge but worthess.
Warlock wrote: Currently Development Snapshot builds and Release Candidate only.
With snapshot releases, users must install LuCi manually.

No stable OpenWrt release currently.

EDIT: Just browsed through OpenWrt website. At least two recent unresolved issues of bricked tp-link EAP225 Outdoor.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2817 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
nano69an,

Thumbs up for OpenWrt but I think it's safer to wait for a stable version.
Mistakes don't happen often but when they do, user can end up with a bricked device requiring additional equipment/part(s) and downtime to get it running again. :(